Product Reviews > Kayaks > Stellar Kayaks > SR Surf Ski Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for SR Surf Ski Kayak by Stellar Kayaks

Rated: 9.67/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

SR Surf Ski Kayak by Stellar Kayaks

Length: 19' 2" - Width: 18.90" - Starting at: $2010.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Stellar Kayaks Logo

08-06-2014

This is an absolutely great boat. I'm a heavier paddler over 225 pounds and this boat really moves!! I use a mid-wing paddle and paddle mainly flatwater lakes and rivers with some current. I am surprised how how effortlessly the SR takes off and gets up to speed.

I highly recommend this boat for anyone transitioning to a surf ski. It has great initial stability and once you're moving the boat is very stable and forgiving.

06-23-2014

I've used the Stellar SR for one year and this is the basis of the review. Previously I had a Seda Impulse sea kayak which according to the Sound Rowers classification has a speed rating of 10.4 based on the ratio of length of 18 ft to width of 21". The Stellar SR has a rating of about 13.4 with length of 19 ft and width of 17" at waterline.

Comparing several races I've done with the Seda vs the Stellar, the Stellar is about 8% faster in most conditions. I find that going from sea kayak to surf ski is perhaps like going from a mountain bike to a road bike. The sea kayak is rugged and meant for general usage compared to the ski which is for paddling at exercise pace. The sea kayak has 2 large compartments for storage whereas the ski has only a small space at the front of the footwell. The weight is: sea kayak 52# and ski 34# both for kevlar layups. My usage of usually 1 hour, twice a week is a limited time so I find the small space in the ski is OK and the lighter weight makes it easier to carry and mount on the car. The steering of the sea kayak is via flip up rudder and a under stern rudder for the ski. The ski rudder has more "bite"; it has a quicker turning response for maneuvering turbulent water conditions such as staying on a wave or quick steering in tight places. To prevent damaging the ski rudder while mounting requires wading into deeper water or backing off of banked areas. The paddling effort of the ski seems far less than the sea kayak; after about 5 miles in the sea kayak I find I really want to slow down, but that hasn't been a problem with the ski. The stability in waves is similar between the surf ski and sea kayak; the ski is slightly more stable in leading or following seas whereas the sea kayak is more stable when the waves are on side.

I am 60 years old, 6 ft and 220# and find the SR is a good vehicle for fitness paddling while working on maintaining high stroke angle and keeping cadence in varying wave conditions from boat traffic, wind and tide.

08-31-2012

If you're looking for an upgrade from a sea kayak, something faster, lighter, and more fun to paddle, but without a significant learning curve, the Stellar SR is probably your perfect boat. This light, fast, amazingly stable surf ski is probably the most enjoyable boat I've paddled – one that puts a smile on my face every time I paddle it.

Our SR is actually my wife's boat. She enjoyed her Think Fit, a sea kayak with a surf ski cockpit, but found the cockpit rim made a deep-water reentry very difficult for her. She also became frustrated with the very plumb bow that tended to catch all manner of leaves and weeds that populate our rivers in the fall, and with the difficulty she had in bouncing the bow enough to clear it. Also in the equation was a desire to find a lighter and faster boat – lighter, because she has limited upper body strength for lifting/carry a boat, and faster because... well... everyone wants to go faster! The final item that sent her on a hunt for a new boat, however, was a friend of ours who really, really wanted the Fit for racing USCA Sea Kayak class. Having a boat essentially sold without effort makes looking for a new one much easier!

We started our search looking at various sea kayaks and surf ski/sea kayak hybrids, but nothing quite hit the sweet spot. Then we looked at the Stellar line and she found exactly what she was looking for in the SR: at 19' long x 19" wide, the boat was a little narrower and a little longer than her Fit for better speed potential, the Excel Kevlar layup was only 25 lbs (compared to her 34 lb fiberglass Fit, which is actually pretty light itself), and the gently curved bow looked like it should ride over leaves and such, much like the Epic V10L I was paddling at the time. Plus it had all the advantages of a surf ski – great paddling ergonomics, easy entry/exit, and a self-bailing cockpit. Furthermore, Stellar boats have a superb 3-point foot plate with easy length adjustment – definitely the best I've seen on the market. With a bit of looking around, a former demo boat in the Excel layup and white color (my wife definitely wanted white!) showed up and found itself on the way to our house and to a new home.

Sometimes you don't get what you expect, but in this case the boat exceeded our expectations. It was indeed light, comfortable, and paddled superbly, running over leaves and weeds as though they weren't even there. It has the feel of a sports car – accelerating rapidly, running fast with a nice glide, and able to be leaned until water is just about coming into the cockpit. The design of the hull provides an unusual amount of secondary stability – something I had read about previously in reviews, but now experienced.

Even though I paddle narrower skis for racing, I find the extra stability of the SR makes it a tremendous amount of fun for playing in the waves of large lakes or the ocean without expending as much effort to stay upright. I was also surprised at how stout the boat felt, particularly for a 25 lb light layup. The work Stellar puts into crafting curves and raised areas in the deck really pays off in making a stiff boat (alongside the layup itself).

Other secondary items that were pleasant surprises included a very effective venturi with a plug (something that's nice to have on our Midwestern waterways in the winter), a built-in leash attachment point, and enough foot well width to allow me to paddle in the winter with neoprene boots! Most surf skis have fairly narrow foot wells, and I can barely get my wide feet into the foot well with thin paddling shoes, much less the boots.

I think everyone who's paddled our SR has loved it, but perhaps the best recommendation from me is to note that after seeing and paddling my wife's SR, I sold my other boats and bought a carbon Stellar SE Ultra for my race boat (another awesome surf ski, but that's for another review…).