Product Reviews > Kayaks > West Marine > Pompano 120 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pompano 120 Kayak by West Marine

Rated: 8.33/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

07-18-2013

Rented this kayak in Panama City Beach Florida. First time ever in a kayak, I went out into the surf on a Red Flag. It was awesome! I just kept the bow pointed into the waves and before I knew it I was BTB! The next day the water was calm so I was able to put my two kids on the boat with me and we paddled around the surf. I also took this boat into the West Bay and it was very easy for me to maneuver around Shell Island. I didn't even use a seat when I rented this kayak. If I buy one of these, I will definitely get a seat, although I was able to have a lot of fun on my vacation without one.

I would recommend this type of kayak to anyone. The rod holders were great for fishing and the rental guy said I could pick one up for less than $500 at West Marine.

09-07-2012
Submitted by: FarleyMannSend Email

Just follow up on my previous review, this is still a great yak. But ongoing use has revealed a major problem, and that is the seating. This yak is basically the same as a Pescador or 2008 Tarpon (without a seat), and, as such, really requires a Wilderness seat. I put a pretty nice COD Apex 1 in it, and after a couple of hours my back in the pelvis area is hammered.

This boat really calls for a Wilderness seat, which is not readily available except on the Pescador or the Tarpon. Only one place sells the seat back assembly, which is the key part. You can put anything in the seat -- garden kneeling pad, Skwoosh seat pad, piece of sleeping bed pad from Wally World, etc. In retrospect, now that I wasted money on a COD seat I won't use and had to replace with the correct seat, which WM doesn't sell, I should have just gotten the Pescador to start with and put in my own rod holders. The anchor trolley thing ... meh.

08-29-2012
Submitted by: FarleyMannSend Email

Very nice yak. Listed at 500, I got it for 450 with the then-in-effect 10-percent-off coupon code. WM can't keep these things in stock, they sell so fast. This is the same mold as the Perception Sports Pescador and the 2008 Wilderness Tarpon 120, but with the rod holders and anchor trolley thing.

Quality and thickness of plastic seem great. I'm diggin' it. But, that said, I looked at the Ascend models at Bass Pro Shop today, and they look like they're worth considering, as they come with a pretty nice seat and the reviews are pretty good.