Product Reviews > Accessories > Fearless: One Woman, One Kayak, One Continent book Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Fearless: One Woman, One Kayak, One Continent book

Research Books, Videos, & More in the Buyers' Guide!

07-23-2013

I couldn't put the book down. Every chapter I want to read a little more. There were times I really admired Freya's determination. If you are a paddler you will be into the book whether you love or hate how Freya can be. I bought a few copies for friends after I was done.

10-10-2012

After reading Cpyrght's review of this book I decided to get it. I ordered it from Alibris.com (*excellent place to order books for very low prices, I have NO affiliation just trying to help fellow paddlers save a few bucks. So they can spend their $$ on a new paddle or other paddling item from PADDLING.NET, unabashed plug BTW)and it arrived quickly. I thought the book was a great read. As a kayaker, I really enjoyed it. Not sure if non-paddlers would enjoy it as much. Adventurers and outdoors people yes, but the average person might not be able to identify with the undertaking, just my opinion. To accomplish this remarkable feat, takes a lot of time, energy, and money. The logistics alone are mind boggling to me. I recently did a 16 mile one way trip and had a blast, I can only imagine Freya's enjoyment. Mr. Glickman's approach to putting this masterpiece of kayaking to paper is spot on. I don't think it could have been more engrossing or enjoyable to read. Miss Hoffmeister is an enigma to say the least. To say the most, she is an unbelievable kayaker in a league of her own. Can't wait to see the movie!!!! Carpe Diem to Freya.Thank you to Cpyrght for posting the review, otherwise I might have missed this awesome read. Just Paddle!!!!

08-27-2012

I cannot believe that this book has not yet been mentioned, promoted or reviewed yet, here on the most popular U.S. kayak website, paddling.net.

I'll be honest, when I first bought Fearless I did so more as a curiosity. I was not expecting to find the book to be much more entertaining than most simple "How to books" or casual dime store adventure stories.

But I was wrong for making such an assumption. Fearless: One Woman, One Kayak, One Continent, the story of Freya Hoffmiester's recent solo navigation around Australia is a truly outstanding book. The story in itself is an amazing one, but what makes this book a true modern day classic in it's genre is the exceptional, non pretentious way it is written by Joe Glickman. It's rare in this day and age to read an author that presents his thoughts with true objectivity, allowing the reader to form their own conclusions and judgments.

Fearless is written with great imagery, humor and simple honesty. If you are someone that loves paddling, you will not be able to put it down. If you are a person that has never paddled, it's the kind of book that will inspire you to run out and do so.

After reading the book, I purchased 5 copies for friends and family. Everyone that has read it, from 18 year old nieces and nephews to an 80 year old mother and uncle, all found the storytelling and the story itself, to be simply outstanding.

I don't actually think that Joe Glickman himself, actually knows the talent he has shown in the way he has told this great adventure. All one has to do is go to Amazon and read the 35 reviews left by his fans, to realize that he has indeed written something very special.

I urge anyone that has ever picked up a paddle to get themselves a copy of Fearless. I also think that paddling.net itself should think of selling the book or promoting it here on their website.

If there was ever a book written for the paddling community that explains exactly why we all love what we do, this book is it! It is "the" modern day paddling related, adventure story and in time will prove to be a true classic of significant historic value.

I genuinely enjoyed the experience of traveling along Freya's journey. As I already stated, a great book!