Product Reviews > Canoes > Golden Hawk Canoes > 12'9" Square Stern Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for 12'9" Square Stern Canoe by Golden Hawk Canoes

Rated: 8.67/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

12'9

Length: 12' 9" - Width: 38.0" - Starting at: $999.99
See More Details about this Canoe
Golden Hawk Canoes Logo

08-23-2014
Submitted by: MikeSend Email

The Golden Hawk canoes are a refreshingly unique design... but from 1968. Why this canoe did not become more popular is a study in marketing underinflation.

Perhaps the most unique feature is the transome built above the waterline for adding a motor. While most motor-ready canoes have a flat back, the Golden Hawk transom is raised so that it is on top of a full form canoe. This allows the canoe to function with all the efficiencies and responsiveness of a canoe - including going backwards. Because I am not a motorist, the transom has another purpose for me; It is a luxurious platform for equipment. Secure a large tackle box onto the transom for gear and you nearly have a canoe with closet space. The transome also offers a convenient mounting area for portable lighting.

I am NOT a motorist, so paddle responsiveness is paramount to me. I found the Golden Hawk to be exceptionally responsive - surprisingly so. It can turn on a dime. Still, the old-school protruding 3" metal keel allows it to cut straight lines on open water and punch strong winds in the nose. Although the bottom is flat, the Golden Hawk has a decidedly pronounced sidewall curve, so if the paddler intentionally leans to the side, the canoe can edge onto it's side and perform as if it had an abundance of rocker.

One of the finest characteristics is its stability. This makes it the workhorse of hunters, fishermen, trappers, and recreational canoeists. I canoe and fish often with a six year old who was skiddish about being in tippy canoes. Once in the Golden Hawk, he felt relaxed and confident in the stability. He noticed he could walk standing side to side or front to back without tipping the canoe. This, I find, is one of the most appreciated characters of the Golden Hawk; platform stability even in rough sea.

Weighing in at 65 lbs, the Golden Hawk is cumbersome and most appropriate for those who eat spinach by the can full. The lack of a forward thwart or handles makes a traditional shoulder portages difficult and unfamiliar. This can be remedied by adding handles, of course.

The 65 lbs is the culmination of a higher quality fiberglass woven mat and resin combination. The Golden Hawk is manufacture 100% in Wisconsin, USA of with a special outside-in process. The result is a canoe with beautiful lines and robust strength. Because of it's fiberlass construction, it is easily repaired by the casual do-it-yourself paddler if ever necessary.

All things considered, the Golden Hawk is an exceptionally useable canoe. It is responsive to the paddle, unique in it's useable space, and one of the most stable canoes available.

11-09-2013
Submitted by: Keith WorrallSend Email

I have had my Golden Hawk since May of this year and have used it for all kinds of water activities. My wife and I first fished out of the canoe for crappies in the spring and had a blast. The canoe was very stable and easy to paddle around. It performed great on river float trips and I even found my self standing up and fishing quite a bit. I like that it is stable enough to stand up and fish out of because I have a bad back and need to stretch quite often. I have caught some big fish in my canoe this summer and had no problem landing them.

This model came with a built in 12 volt battery holder and has the positive and negative wires molded into the canoe. My 35lb thrust trolling motor worked great for long trips on the water. Also i put my four horse motor on the back of the canoe and it performed great. This fall my friend and I have used it for water fowl hunting and i could not believe how much weight it could handle. We loaded it up with about 50 duck decoys, back packs and our guns and it handled it no problem. My buddy said he liked it so much that he plans to buy one for him self next year. Also like the fact that it is so lite being made of fiber glass I can load and unload it by my self. All around just a great canoe...

08-07-2012
Submitted by: KismetSend Email

Recently rescued a 12.9 Golden Hawk square stern from adolescent abuse.:)
Patched up what needed it, and have taken it out paddling (with the dog), and with a 30 lb. trolling motor with a passenger (@170 lbs). All boats are compromises, but this little Y-stern canoe is stable, moves under paddle rather nicely, and picks up and goes well with the light trolling motor

I just ordered a carb kit for my Evinrude 3 hp, and I am expecting GREAT things from the combo. I'll fish a bit, and am ready to start checking small rivers for Fall's duck hunting season.
I figure to paddle down and motor back.

With the repairs, this boat is probably 75 pounds instead of the 65 listed by mfr., but easily put on a harbor freight 4x8 utility trailer. It has a marked keel, which would ordinarily be a problem for a canoe, but works great in keeping the canoe in line. I really like it. Look around, I've seen one other in the last few months on CL. They are around