Reviews for Tetra 12 Angler Kayak by Ocean Kayak
Based On: 2 Reviews
03-22-2013Submitted by: petemoss
I have owned this kayak for about a year now. I actually really like this kayak as a general purpose boat and for fishing.
- It is much more convenient to get in and out of than my sit-in kayak.
- It has lots of options for storing and accessing gear. I am able to store my kayak cart in the front hatch, clothes in the center, and tackle and a cooler in the rear.
- The rod-pod is great. It offers a great place to mount a rod holder. It has a built in cup holder. You can even use the mounting holes to add a sonar. Plus it give you quick access to the inside of the kayak, wherein you can store your rods. This can be especially nice if you are launching or landing in the surf and don't want to risk rolling and snapping your rods.
- The sit-on-top design is much more open, which lets you enjoy the weather around you more.
- It is much easier to exit and re-enter than a sit-inside kayak.
- It is much easier to re-enter from the water as well, though it is also easier to fall out of.
- Very well made boat, top notch construction.
- The boat is kind of small (low column) for its length. This causes a couple of issues.
- It is only moderately stable.
- It doesn't have enough freeboard. If I leave my scupper stoppers out, then water will flood up through the scuppers into the footwell area to a depth of about one-half inch. It may not do this with a smaller paddler. I am 185 lbs.
- The boat weathercocks (turns into the wind) pretty badly.
This is a fine boat that should serve anyone well if they are looking for a fishing/general purpose kayak. I really am impressed with the construction of the Ocean Kayak boats. However, if I were to do it again, I would probably buy a slightly larger model, probably from Ocean Kayak. I would also strongly consider getting the add-on rudder to help with the weathercocking issue.
06-04-2012Submitted by: JB
Don't Miss the Paddling.net Weekly Newsletter!
I took the Tetra 12 out for a demo yesterday, and I have to say I was quite impressed. I found it quite fast for a 12 foot boat. It was also a stable ride. I was comparing it to 14 foot boats, and while not as fast as those, I was still impressed with it. For the price, I don't think you could beat it.
It had the standard Ocean Kayak seat, which is good for recreational use -- then again, that's what this boat is designed for. The tank well in the back was roomy enough for a cooler, and you could adapt this for fishing purposes fairly easily.
Good all around kayak.
100,000+ people can't be wrong!
The Paddling.net Newsletter is a must if you like to canoe or kayak! Each week it is packed with great articles, photos, product reviews, and special features. Better yet, we promise not to sell your email address to anyone; that's right ZERO spam! Sign up today and find out what you've been missing!