Product Reviews > Canoes > Sawyer > X-17 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for X-17 Canoe by Sawyer

Rated: 9.71/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

10-23-2005
Submitted by: ShaneSend Email

Best designed tandem 17 ft. canoe available for general tripping. A trustworthy canoe that will keep your kids and partners safe in challenging situations. Final stability is excellent - with experience you can recover to an upright position after dipping the gunwale under water. Speed and maneuverability are excellent. Keeping this canoe on course will be a problem for people accustomed to paddling the faddish no-rocker fast canoes, and the gentle flare makes it a little squirrelly at first, but once you become familiar with this canoe it will be your benchmark for judging all other tandems.

07-20-2004
Submitted by: KenSend Email

I don't know why Swift ever stopped making this boat! Like any Sawyer, it is very fast but this one is suprisingly stable. I added a sliding front seat - the existing one is a good 6-8 inches too far back for comfort. I have the Kevlar version, quite a few patches on mine but she is still always the fastest boat in the group.

09-17-2003
Submitted by: GeorgeSend Email

The X17 is what I call a "comprimise" boat....it does not excel at any one thing but is a very nice blend of the characteristics that make a canoe useful and a pleasure to use. Fairly fast, tracks well, and yet turns when you want her to and VERY seaworthy. Roomy and comfortable. The only negative I can add is that to due the flare and fullness in the bow, the bow paddler has to reach out a ways to get to the water.

10-11-2000
Submitted by: NancySend Email

The Sawyer X-17 fiberglass and Kevlar boat was our choice for conducting a cross-country canoe expedition. Her stability amazed me. We paddled a day in 4 foot waves (no doubt shouldn't have) when 2 motorboats sunk. She made me seasick, but she rode the waves like a champ. We also paddled up rockgarden rapids, and she just defied the current nothing short of magic. 14 years after purchase she's now old and brittle, but still out there and patch-able. She's a great boat!

07-06-2000
Submitted by: MargaretSend Email

Me too. Old lightweight (57lbs. I was told & that seems reasonble) 17' fiberglass Sawyer just spoiled the heck out of me. Think I bought it abt. '73. Covered a lot of river miles, tandom and solo, fast water or slow, deep, shallow (I liked the way it would skim over rocky shallows), rocky rapids and boulder gardens. Don't think it was really designed for whitewater, but it got me through some pretty fun stuff anyway, and fiberglass is easy to patch. All but effortless to paddle---fast, easy tracking and yet easy to turn. Seemed to roll pretty easily---not the most stable thing on the water, and I learned to avoid wide windy places, esp. solo. I cld. turn it on a dime, but so cld. a heavy crosswind if I didn't have a bowman to help out. I'm in the market for a new canoe and it's hard to find anything that handles so nicely.

01-04-2000
Submitted by: Larry ChristensenSend Email

For years my wife and I used our X-17 for everything, tripping to local rivers. Capacity, maneuverability, speed, easy paddling effort -- excellent. I believe we were most astonished by its glide. Get it up to speed, and stop paddling. It goes on and on forever. A very rewarding boat!

05-13-1999
Submitted by: RonSend Email

This boat has speed and the ability to handle the big waves during lake tripping. Very responsive. Before my boy got to old to paddle with Dad, we could make that boat fly across the lake. Our model has tractor seats, sliding front seat and rear adjustable foot brace. Good mild river boat too. This boat is a pleasure to paddle and a pair of experienced paddlers can really cover the ground with it.

Sealline: