Product Reviews > Canoes > Springbok > Standard Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Standard Canoe by Springbok

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

11-23-2011

Springbok aluminum canoes (from Canada) are no longer made but plenty of used ones are still available. Back in the heyday of aluminum, Springbok canoes were one of the originals along with Grumman. I know many people prefer newer materials but I still like these older aluminum boats because they are well built, stable, tough as nails, and require zero maintenance...ever! My 15' is over thirty years old and still in great shape. The flat hull design is typical of all aluminum canoes which makes it super stable but slower than the newer boats. The hull also flairs near the water line which adds a tremendous amount of secondary stability compared to other makes I have paddled. The 15' is a good compromise tandem/solo boat and I often paddle it solo by sitting backwards on the bow seat... I also removed the front thwart to make this easier and have found no differences in terms of structural rigidity with the thwart removed (the center and stern thwarts are still in).

For fishing and general lake tripping, this boat has given me many years of solid service. Old school for sure but a dependable and consistent performer...kind of like the older Coleman lanterns! This is one tough and well made boat! I often see them selling for $300-$500 depending upon condition.

New York Kayak Co.: