Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Tsunami 175 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tsunami 175 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Tsunami 175 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Length: 17' 6" - Width: 24.00" - Starting at: $1529.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Wilderness Systems Logo

08-13-2013

This kayak is fantastic for extended trips on big rivers and lakes. Tracking and stability are great even for beginners and it is plenty big to fit the largest of kayakers. I've fished out of a Tsunami and was very comfortable and floated downstream on the Mississippi River for hours.

I give this kayak a 9 only because I give all of my favorite kayaks a 9 in hopes that I can find the one and only 10!!!

07-05-2013
Submitted by: zpmSend Email

I really like this boat. I am a larger paddler 6feet 280lbs and this boat fits me really well. It has a high deck, which I really appreciate.

The boat has plenty of space for long trips and generally performs well. I bought the plastic version of the Tsunami 175 and am happy with the tracking, stability, ability to edge, and overall speed. The extra weight (compared to the composite version) doesn't seem to matter much once its in the water.

The Tsunami is not the most maneuverable boat but it's the best that I've paddled for it's size. I have paddled the composite version and it does seem to handle better in choppy conditions but otherwise the plastic and composite were similar.

I spent a little extra to put the recreational seat from the Tsunami 145 in and was really comfortable afterwards, the default is a backband seat, which promotes better posture but does not give you much support. I can roll this boat empty but have not tried with a load.

Overall great boat

11-14-2011

I have paddled the Tsunami 175 Rotomold (without rudder) for 10 months now! I love this boat; it is made well and tracks great! Wind cocking is at a minimum for a high volume kayak unless there is a 3 mph current behind you. I have paddled every bit of Tellico Lake with its 354 miles of shore line and 2 deep water mountain lakes in East Tennessee!

The real reason I chose this as my first sea kayak was it can haul as much gear as a barge. The boat has great initial and secondary stability! You can role it but its a little slow to role. I did teach a teen that never set in a kayak how to role it in 5 minutes!

The true test I put this kayak through was the MR 340! This is a 340 mile non-stop unlimited ultra in the world from KC to St. Charles, MO on the Missouri river! The Tsunami performed great without problem even when I was wore out. The Wilderness System seat is one of the best. The Tsunami was able to finish the 340 mile race in 13th place out of 76 men's solo paddlers! Not bad for what call the boats only draw back. The draw back is that it is a heavy boat at 66 lbs!

Overall this is a great boat and I would advise any one to try one out! Great job Wilderness Systems!

Rendezvous River Sports