Product Reviews > Kayaks > Prijon > Marlin Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Marlin Kayak by Prijon

Rated: 7.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

05-16-2012

This boat looks a little ungainly out of the water, but cruising along the German roots show through in the uncanny way it resembles a U-boat.

This is my fiancee's first boat. So far we have one big beef with this boat: The combing seems to be oversized. It take two men and a healthy young boy to get the spray skirt on. We can get it on but I could see plenty of females and possibly some men having trouble detaching the skirt after capsize. My G/F did. Prijon makes their own skirts, this may solve the problem. This is a serious safety issue- I've experienced it with her on two occasions to date. The RM body and hull are very rigid and in general it's thoughtfully constructed.

The design of the seat takes some getting used to, if you have seat problems (we did) make sure all your shock cords are in position. The owners manual doesn't mention this.

The low rating has everything to do with the oversized combing and the safety issues this presents.

11-07-2011

I have paddled this boat since spring 2011, and the more I use it, the more I like it. Most of my experience had been in a Manitou 14 so the Marlin was a big change for me. Initially the boat felt somewhat loose, but after a short period of adjustment and learning to relax in the cockpit that went away. The secondary stability on this boat is great. I have been out in some very windy/choppy water and the marlin handles it with ease. The Marlin turns/handles surprisingly well for a boat this long; putting and holding it on edge was much easier than I expected. I got the boat with the rudder and recommend it. The rudder is not a necessity, but just makes cross winds and rough water a non-issue. The Marlin is fast, comfortable, and most importantly, fun to paddle.

Ostrom Outdoors: