Product Reviews > Kayaks > Valley Sea Kayaks > Aquanaut LV RM Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Aquanaut LV RM Kayak by Valley Sea Kayaks

09-12-2011

I purchased a demo Aquanaut LV Rm last winter and have now paddled it a season and I feel this boat deserves a review by an average paddler like myself. I am 5' 11" and 185lbs. and seem to fit the Aquanaut quite well. In fact I think this boat would fit a paddler an inch or two taller and 20 lbs. heavier than me fine. Much bigger than that and you would probably do better staying out of the LV model. My plastic Aquanaut is extremely stable, closer to a rec kayak than a sea kayak, both primary and secondary wise. It handles all the waves you find on average size lakes easily, I have never had it in salt water so I can't address ocean performance. Storage seems plentiful and my hatch covers seal nicely for a dry paddle. I did have leakage from my skeg cable that was easily cured with silicone sealer. The actual skeg works well and makes cross winds much more pleasant. I personally like the thigh braces and seat but I did replace the back band with a more comfortable back rest. The Aquanaut LV RM performs turns and leans well with little trouble and speed is ok but maybe a little short of what I would expect from a 17' kayak. The biggest complaint I have about this model is the weight. Mine weighs an actual 65 pounds and it feels like even more when handling out of water. Overall, a good starter sea kayak at a decent price but at a heavy weight.