Product Reviews > Kayaks > Delta Kayaks > Delta 17 Sport Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Delta 17 Sport Kayak by Delta Kayaks

Rated: 9.33/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

Delta 17 Sport Kayak by Delta Kayaks

Length: ' " - Starting at: $
See More Details about this Kayak
Delta Kayaks Logo

07-25-2013
Submitted by: drsSend Email

I've had my lime green 17 Sport for about 4 months now and really am digging it. It's an absolutely stable design, secondary is amazing. It rolls very nicely and smoothly when you need it to, and when you don't, it is solid as a rock.

As far as features, it has about everything I could want in a touring boat, excellent capacity, excellent rigging, and gets all sorts of compliments.

My complaints are few. You should inspect the insides for any potential "pokers" which may impale your dry bags, but this should be standard for any boat so I am simply stating a complaint since there are no other flaws or things that annoy me.

I've logged at least 40 nautical miles on it so far and if Delta needs a spokesperson, they can get a hold of me anytime. Bulkheads are bone dry. Damn fine boat for the money. I'd give it a 10, but without the rudder, it does make keeping a straight line in the wind a challenge.

09-20-2011

Following up on my own review...
I've had this boat a month now and it's a thing of beauty. I ended up going back to Frontenac Outfitters to have the hip kit installed, and the boat just hums now. Fits me like a glove.

I still haven't managed to tip it by accident though I sometimes feel mighty close -- secondary stability is really good. And it simply has good looks. To be maybe too frank, I'm disappointed when I'm putting in or taking out and there's no one there to say, "Hey, nice boat, what kind is it?"

As mentioned in my previous review I'm fairly new to kayaking. This boat is perfect for me.

08-26-2011

So this was my graduation to a "big boy's" boat.
I started kayaking this year after doing a lot of canoe tripping when I was younger (I'm 56 now.) Began with a 12' Perception Carolina which is a nice enough boat, enough to give me a taste for the sport. Anyway, after putting in quite a few miles in the Carolina I started checking out bigger and more serious boats. Ended up at Frontenac Outfitters near Kingston, Ontario, where I tried the Delta 17.

What a lovely boat. Though I'm not very experienced, I found its initial stability very good. I climbed into it from a high-ish dock (first time I'd done that) and away I went. Then I discovered edging :) Finally having a boat that really "fit", I was delighted to see how slight shifts in hips really turned the boat. Revelation :) I took my camera gear with me and felt quite comfortable fiddling about with that, not tippy at all. Seems like it will be a very good day-boat.

Anyway: love it so far. I have no idea how it does in rough water because I haven't taken it there yet. But as a "next step" for folks like me who want to master a proper sea kayak it seems like a great choice.