Product Reviews > Kayaks > Stellar Kayaks > S18 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for S18 Kayak by Stellar Kayaks

Rated: 9.67/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

S18 Kayak by Stellar Kayaks

Length: 18' 0" - Width: 21.50" - Starting at: $2375.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Stellar Kayaks Logo

07-13-2014

I have owned several boats but they have all been very stable. My favorite was and is my Tarpon 160 and I will always have it around.

I started paddling with a group of people who have composite sea kayaks. Needless to say, keeping up with them was a chore. After a lot of research, I bought the 18 S. The first few trips were interesting to say the least. I am tall with a high COG and many times thought I was in the water, only to not be there.

I use a Euro paddle and it 'sticks' frequently in this boat because I am a high angle paddler. Still considering a wing but I have modified my stroke more toward low angle. I had just been on a 2 month hiatus because of a back issue and took the ski out yesterday. Almost felt like an old friend. I am looking forward to our next trip.

03-26-2013

One word, AMAZING! This boat is stable and very fast. I find myself having to wait on the group. The boat is put together very well and I love how they pull in the sides where you can use a clean high angle stroke with out bumping the boat. You can not find any faster and stable boat. I have the smart track rudder on my 2011 and it works well. the S18 Advantage edges and turns great with out the rudder as well!!!!!!!! 10 out of 10

07-27-2011

Last Saturday I met with Drew Harrison at the Alder Creek Kayak and Canoe store on the Columbia River to test paddle the Stellar S16 and S18. I weighed these boats with my bathroom scale, the S16 Advantage at 39 lbs and the S18 Excel at 34 lbs. The seats and back bands were comfortable and the 32" long cockpits made getting in and out a snap. I then paddled these boats on the river south of the store. This is a no wake zone, with heavy power boat traffic. The current was approximately 2 mph with a good breeze blowing against it. The result was a mixed chop, which would have been very unsettling in my WSBS EFT. I found both boats to be very stable in these conditions. The S18 was slightly faster and the S16 was slightly more stable. The rudders on these boats did not work well and I could have used them in these conditions. These were 2010 models, they are switching to SmartTrack rudders and pedals for 2011. I would rate these two boats at a 9 out of 10 because of their rudders. I am placing an order for a 2011 S18 Excel.