Product Reviews > Kayaks > Coleman > Menace Angler Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Menace Angler Kayak by Coleman

Rated: 8.2/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

09-07-2014

Great kayak for the price. No need to pay MSRP. This is my first fishing kayak. It is stable, easy to maneuver and a pleasure to paddle. Not great for long distances or speed, but that is not its intended purpose.

04-09-2013
Submitted by: SCT

The Coleman Menace was my first kayak purchase. Its price, sit on top style and wide profile appealed to me. Despite having no kayaking experience, I find it to be very stable. Since I only use it on a pond, speed is not a concern. The cloth seat is not very comfortable, but I am experimenting with the straps to see if it can be improved. If not, I may eventually purchase an upgraded seat.

This model does not come with a lot of extras, but the relatively low cost allowed me to purchase add-ons like an additional pole holder for the front, an anchor, a cleat, plugs and a cup holder. The first time out I easily maneuvered into tight spots. With some practice, it will only get easier.

In sum, I am quite happy with it and would recommend it, especially to beginners or others looking for a stable platform.

10-21-2011
Submitted by: vvkSend Email

Got this kayak as a birthday present a few months ago - previously owned, but 'like new'. So far, I've taken it out to do some night catfishing on a lake; a few miles down the New river hunting for smallies; to some local ponds and smaller rivers for largemouth; and to OBX - Pamlico sound off Hatteras Island for speckled trout, red drum and flounder (got all three!).

High marks on stability, maneuverability, and load capacity. When I took it out into the sound (about 1&1/2 miles), it handled 2ft chop like a champ - even side to. Though it doesn't have a lot of room, it will comfortably fit a mid-size cooler or a 50-70lb dog on the back. The dry compartment is nice and roomy.

As the previous reviewer said, it's not made for speed - tough to keep up with others even if you're heading down with the current. I guess cause it's so wide, it has a tendency to turn sideways when you stop paddling - can be especially annoying when in the current, but I've managed to use that to my advantage when fishing along the river banks. You may also have to upgrade the seat - not too comfortable.

Overall, considering the price, I think it's a very good and safe fishing 'yak for beginners and will definitely burn off some calories. Lastly, don't try to stand up and pee off your kayak.

10-17-2011

This kayak handles very well. I was able to troll and catch fish. I am very pleased with the results.

07-26-2011
Submitted by: TimSend Email

I nicknamed mine the fat rat. You will not win any speed challenges with your buddies paddling this kayak. It tracks fairly well. Three of us did a section of the Cape Fear River in a 2-day trip. 17 miles the first day by the end of that day. Was smoked from the constant paddling to keep up with the other 2 kayaks. However if you are packing a large gear load like I was it is great. Very stable loaded or empty. Menace will turn on a dime, nearly inside its own body length. Didn't get any bites while trolling with it so can't say how it is fighting a fish from it.

Overall for the price not a bad kayak for someone that isn't worried about getting there fast and wants to pack in a load of gear.