Product Reviews > Canoes > Swift > Prospector 16 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Prospector 16 Canoe by Swift

Prospector 16 Canoe by Swift

Length: 16' 0" - Starting at: $1995.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Swift Logo

08-30-2011
Submitted by: psSend Email

I had been using a 14' Voyageur fiberglass canoe, prior to purchasing the Prospector. The reason for the switch was looking for more stable canoe. I purchased a Kevlar canoe with wood seats, yoke and gunnuels.

Pros:-light weight, -stable, -handles waves well (1m)

Cons: -tracking requires close attention (to be expected no keel), -hardware (nuts and bolts) not water resistance. (suggest replacing with brass or stainless steel), -capacity

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled waves. I was in a large lake with waves over a meter and just ignored them when navigating across the lake. I was surprised (should not been) at tracking. The canoe does not have a keel, so tracking has to be paid close attention too.

Turning was neither a negative or positive, I found it to be good, nothing special. I was a little surprised at capacity. It is not able to carry more weight than my old 14' which was a surprise. I personally would like the seats to be a little lower. This is just a personal preference.

All in all this is a good canoe and the criticisms are all small.

07-21-2011
Submitted by: KaySend Email

Carbon Fusion, Lightweight and great for solo or tandem. Our first canoe and at 55+ my wife can lift the canoe and hoist it up safely on the yoke for portage... our Golden Retriever Ceilidh is as excited as we are.

Swift is the first placed we stopped off at near our home in Huntsville, Ontario at the Oxtongue Lake store. We did not need to search any further as our sales/support team Brian and Skip made the description, water demo, even helping us with tethering it to our SUV, looking after our paddle and PFD selection a delight.
Swift is the best for your value and we are delighted!

07-19-2011
Submitted by: Dirk DixonSend Email

My wife and I just spent 3 days canoe camping in the Adirondacks with the Swift Prospector 16 we special ordered through Mountainman Outfitters in Old Forge, NY. I want to take this opportunity to compliment the Swift staff for a well done job that produced an incredibly well built boat. The craftsmanship, attention to detail and level of quality that went into the construction of this boat is greatly appreciated. Also, David Yost deserves kudos for a boat design that more than lives up to the legendary Prospector’s reputation.

At 40 pounds, our Kevlar Fusion boat was a real pleasure to portage (if portaging could ever be a pleasure). The hull construction, especially in conjunction with the integral Carbon Kevlar gunnels, makes this an extremely robust and rigid boat. It has excellent tracking capability for a 16 footer and slices through water with the speed of a much longer boat. It's ability to turn on a dime worked very well on backcountry creeks and it has remarkable stability in the heavy waters on the open lakes, especially when loaded. Even though this boat has more than enough room for two people and a week's worth of gear, it is also a joy to paddle solo.

We are delighted with the purchase of this boat. While I know there is no such thing as the perfect canoe for all conditions, I firmly believe this boat comes close.