Product Reviews > Kayaks > Eddyline > Samba Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Samba Kayak by Eddyline

Rated: 9.43/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

11-26-2014
Submitted by: PADDLEGUYSend Email

Purchased a Samba last month to join my stable of 3 other kayaks. I am 5'2" about 138 lbs so I was looking for a good fit for my size. The Samba fits like a glove, actually feels like I am "wearing" the boat. Excellent edging control and tracks very well. At first I thought it would join the rotation between my sea kayak and rec boat but find it has become my primary.

Fit, finish and rigging is excellent. Would give it a 10 but for two items, rear hatch too small and adjustable seat chafes the inside of hull. Definitely a great choice for smaller frame paddlers.

11-06-2014
Submitted by: SLBSend Email

The Samba is a great boat for shorter/smaller paddlers. I thought it might feel tippy due to the width, but it felt immediately stable to me, easy to control, responsive, and just a joy to paddle. I've owned it for 2 years now, and finally did an overnight (sleeping platform on the Suwannee River) last weekend. The Samba has two small round hatches, so something long (like a sleeping pad)has to be placed on the deck. Everything else fit inside in small bags, and I was surprised how much the boat held. I give it a 9 instead of 10 due to the seat: Eddyline offers either a seatback or a back band. I've tried both (band is better for me) and neither is as comfortable as what other manufacturers offer.

10-30-2014
Submitted by: Julia TSend Email

I purchased the Eddyline Samba after several years paddling the Skylark. I am petite (5'0) and found the Skylark too 'roomy' for me to control. Upon recommendation by my 'kayak' team, I purchased the Samba without even test paddling. The first couple of paddles were tricky; entering and exiting the boat took some practice. However, after those trials, I found the boat to be perfect for my small frame. I like to paddle distance and this boat accommodates with ease. Now I know how useful the thigh braces are! This has been the perfect boat for me and I love, LOVE the Eddyline products... would never own anything else. And, yes, I keep all of my boats because of the quality and craftsmanship. My only problem is what Eddyline product could I possibly purchase next that would meet or exceed the Samba qualities!! If you're a small paddler this boat will serve you well!

09-21-2014
Submitted by: doty1933Send Email

Bought the Samba as a second boat, to play on inland lake waters. Very responsive to acceleration, slower in turning. Edgy as compared to my Necky Chatham 16. Less stable initially with its hard chines. Beautiful finish, well made, love its light weight. Wouldn't recommend it for the beginner, but more for an intermediate.

07-24-2013

My wife has a Samba and she loves paddling it. She sometimes will let me paddle her kayak, but not often. I find the Samba very comfortable, fast, responsive and the skeg helps it track. I'm going to buy a Samba as soon as I sell my Cobra Expedition.

08-09-2011

First, about me: I am 5'4", 150lbs female, age wise I am somewhere between death and 50. The Samba is the first boat of a "sea kayak" type that I've had. Previously had rec kayaks, including a composite Kestral that I found too sloppy inside for my comfort and wanted to trade up.

About the boat. Top quality boat, lives up to expectations for agility, speed and tracking. Always felt a little tender when starting out, but two or three paddle strokes and all good. Looks beautiful on and off the water and truly a fun paddle. Wonderful glide and easy to get going and keep going. That is the good.

The bad is I could never get the seat/pegs adjusted where I could paddle longer than two hours without getting squirmy in spite of a wide range of adjustability in the boat. Bought a yakpad that helped, but didn't cure the problem. I would just plain be hurting before I got out if paddled too long. The other thing is, I have a mobility issue that makes exiting a kayak difficult. Although the cockpit is 31x16 (and feels fine when in) getting out was always difficult. For some reason the shape of the cockpit and heights of the sides were really challenging for me. Notice, I said "for me". Grandson has no such issues.

I have since traded this for another brand (will review after season ends) which has the same cockpit dimensions, but I can exit this one with ease and the first trip out in it paddled 4 1/2 hours and was ready to go on. I think the placement of the thigh braces is one of the factors.

I was very reluctant to part with the Samba as I could see this as my grandson's new boat. And I really did enjoy paddling her on short trips. In a perfect world I would have kept the Samba and just get a new boat, but I was offered such an incredible trade-in that it just wasn't feasible.

I gave this boat a nine because I think its a top notch little craft, and if I had a top notch body we would have been a better match. I do think Eddyline needs to work on the seats as my son had the Journey and disliked it as well. He now has the bigass Nighthawk and different seat, no problems.

07-15-2011

Last year I bought my first kayak, an Eddyline Skylark, 12' long and 26" wide. Great rec boat, but within a short time I was looking for something a little longer and narrower, as I wanted to improve my skills and cover greater distances more quickly. The only catch was that I did not want to add much weight, as I do my own lifting and my back sometimes gives me trouble.

The new Samba looked perfect on paper, and it weighed only two pounds more at 43 lbs. My only concern was that, being used to the 26" width of the Skylark, the 22.5" beam of the Samba might feel tippy, but after a test paddle, I found I was comfortable right away. I had earlier test paddled a 21" Fathom LV, but unfortunately the winds were up to 25 knots that day, with white caps and a chop, and I spent a lot of paddling energy just keeping it upright. Under calmer conditions (or with more experience), I think the LV would have felt fine as well, but the additional size and weight was a concern, and I am very happy at the end of a long paddling day for a few less pounds to carry.

The Samba is a significantly faster and more playful boat than the Skylark. With the skeg up, it is less tracky and turns very easily, due to a bit more rocker in the hull, but with the skeg even partially down in windy conditions or cross currents it tracks very well. Cruising speed is nearly effortless and it sprints easily, with much less bow wake. I crossed the open Chesapeake -- 5 miles -- in about an hour and 15 minutes, i.e., 4 mph, without pushing it very hard. I haven't rolled it yet -- will be taking lessons soon. The backband, I have found, is much more comfortable than the rather hard seatback in the Skylark. (I velcroed a Seal Line back pad over that one, which was a big help.)

Any gripes? Not really. It's a wetter boat than the Skylark, as the entry is finer and the deck is lower. At 5' 10" and 155 lbs, the cockpit fits great, but if I were much taller it would be tight, as the foot pegs are nearly all the way out. Storage is not huge in a boat of this size, but I use it for day trips so that's not a concern for me. You could certainly weekend with it.

So now my wife paddles the Skylark and I have the Samba, and we're both happy. While we're relatively new to kayaking, we've been around boats all our lives. Eddyline builds a beautiful and very high quality kayak. Boats should be pretty, and this one is. I'll rate it a 10 (doesn't everybody?) because it fulfills its design brief very well and is perfect for my needs. I wouldn't change a thing.