Product Reviews > Kayaks > Elie Paddlesports > Strait 140 XE Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Strait 140 XE Kayak by Elie Paddlesports

Rated: 9.17/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Strait 140 XE Kayak by Elie Paddlesports

Length: 14' 0" - Width: 25.00" - Starting at: $1149.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Elie Paddlesports Logo

07-24-2013

I bought this kayak for day paddling and light touring. It handles nicely, but is somewhat prone to weather-cocking. The rudder - standard feature worked well to combat this in breezy open-water conditions. It's a bit long for narrow rivers, but the overall handling is very good. The hinged hatch covers seem to be okay for light spray, but my rear bulkhead seemed to let water in from the cockpit. A little RTV sealer took care of this.

I've not rolled the boat to test how watertight the hatches are (other reports indicate that they let in some water). Overall, I like the cockpit and how the boat handles.

06-05-2013

This is a great boat in my opinion. There have been complaints of the hatches leaking; I have not had any problems. I found that all you have to do is keep the latch levers tight.

04-30-2013

Great kayak for the money. Very rigid, feels like a composite boat. Tracks great, fast & very stable. I didn't like the rudder foot controls and the hatches are TERRIBLE! Mine are so bad the leak in the rain on my trailer. BTW the seat is a dream! The foot controls and front hatch are easily fixed with aftermarket replacements, the rear hatch I'm still working on.

09-10-2012

I am 5'9", 180#, slim build. The boat fits like a glove...picked it up used at REI because the previous owner decided it didn't fit... a really great boat... tracks well, good rudder system. Gets up to speed quickly and is responsive. The seat is very comfortable. The watertight hatch is great...the two larger hatches are not watertight but good enough with adequate space. The boat felt a little tippy at first but I have become more accustomed to her...she is very stable when underway.

07-17-2012

Great boat! easy to get up to speed, easy to turn, great seat, nice rudder system. A 1.7 Seals sprayskirt fit it very well. I like the Elie company because they get us out on the water at a reasonable price. I highly recommend this boat.

06-30-2011

Bought one for my wife and one for myself. Awesome boats. Look great, rudder is smooth to operate and tracks beautifully, ample storage and seat is quite comfortable. Couldn't find a better boat for the price. We've only spent about 10 hours on the water, but even in moderate chop the boats road well.

I highly recommend the boat. The only reason I did not rate our Elie's a 10 is because of Elie's customer service, which is through Pelican Sports. Don't expect a quick answer to a question from them. Still love the boats though.

H2O Paddles: