Product Reviews > Kayaks > Current Designs > Breeze Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Breeze Kayak by Current Designs

Rated: 8.33/10 Based On: 36 Reviews

02-09-2014
Submitted by: mtbSend Email

I have two breeze kayaks, the first came without a rudder. I picked up the second with the rudder attached. After using the second boat with the rudder on the Hudson River, I immediately contacted Current Designs directly and bought a rudder kit for the first boat. Amazing difference. The rudder took an afternoon to install with basic tools. If you are not handy, have the local store handle it for you.

Great boats but really needs the rudder for any major river or bay with wind and current.

03-21-2013

A couple of years ago I purchased my first kayak (Breeze by Current Designs). I have used it several times and I was first amazed at how little amount of water you need to travel in. Of course I am only about 140 lbs. and my boat is 13'6". So considering what the weight capacity of the boat is in relation to my weight is, I suppose that it isn't that much strain on the boat. However, I am really happy with my "TOY" as my wife says. What is really cool though is when you are out and there are geese either swimming or flying right beside you.

It is really a neat little boat and before I bought it I never realized how relaxing kayaking could be. So this is my little input for the sport of kayaking.
~ Edwin Parrott - Regina, Saskatchewan

02-24-2013
Submitted by: CJASend Email

My wife and I each got a Breeze after being unable to rent kayaks on a camping trip a few years ago. We had only ever rented tandem recreational kayaks before, so the Breeze was an upgrade for us.

This boat is sturdy, yet relatively light and easy to paddle. The cockpit gives you plenty of room and the adjustable seats are plenty comfortable. We took these boats out in Sommes Sound on Mt Desert Island this past summer. The wind, waves and tide were much more than we had ever dealt with in the past. Much. More. Once we got out to where things got rough, I was worried about my wife. As it turns out she thought it was fun...until the trip back. Conditions were getting worse and she was getting scared. I now have to assume that despite our worries, the Breeze was ready for it. It was us who weren't. Because, even with now bigger waves hitting us from different sides, it didn't really seem to affect the boat, just our nerves. Still, after a couple of years with these, we will be adding the rudder this spring.

At this point the only bad things I can say about this boat are; you'll want the rudder if you want to keep from constantly adjusting your course. No front hatch means I have to keep my stuff in my wife's boat and paddle up to her to get it and vice-versa. Did I mention you'll want the rudder?

01-23-2013

Breeze is a good beginner boat with good speed (for its size), a comfortable seat and quality Rotomolded Polyethylene material; however this boat is very poor at tracking straight. Tracking is bad on rivers and horrendous in windy conditions on open water. The boat badly needs a skeg or rudder.

The problem is caused by the upward bow combined with small size of the boat. This creates a really small footprint on the water. The bow acts as a sail getting pushed by winds that causes the stern to waver. The sway of the stern in windy conditions forces the paddler to constantly make corrections, which is frustrating as it is tiring.

I also would not recommend this boat for a tall person. I am 5'11 with size 11 feet. My knees were never really comfortable on the kneepads and the boat is too narrow around the foot pegs for a person with big feet.

I kept the Breeze for less than a year before trading it in for a much better touring kayak. If after reading this review you are still considering Breeze, I STRONGLY recommended getting a rudder.

05-11-2011

I purchased my Current Designs Breeze last year and found it to be the best bang for my dollar. At $657.00 for a 13 1/2' long, 25" wide plastic kayak with good rocker, it's a bargain. My objectives were a faster boat that would handle more difficult waters like the Ohio River when the wind & waves kick up. My other boats are two 9 1/2' & two 12' rec boats by three different manufacturers.

I was introduced to a 12' Current Designs Kestrel at a livery, the Kestrel ran very fast which led me to investigate their other products. The 12' Kestrel is a very fast plastic boat but the operator needs to be a solid paddler due to its tendency to drift. This is also why it is such a fast boat.

Back to my Breeze; runs good, faster than the Kestrel, tracks well, and turns like a 10' boat. I give it a 8 instead of a 9 because it only has a stern hatch with a flotation bag in the bow. An excellent kayak for the price!

08-24-2010
Submitted by:

I have been canoeing for several years, and somehow looking down on all them kayaks because they're so awkward to get into and out of and had too little load capacity... Then last year I decided on impulse to rent a kayak for a trip. Since I admitted being new to kayaking, the outfitter recommended to take Breeze, and absolutely refused to give me a sprayskirt ("Take a class in wet exit first", - he said).

I fell in love with the kayak immediately, and this season after some market research bought me a brand new Breeze. Took it out on Georgian Bay (Wasaga Beach) close to shore at first, tried it out in breaking waves and wind, practiced wet exit and so on - to get the feel for the boat and to see how far it could be pushed. It proved fairly easy to control - in fact, way easier than any canoe. It dealt with the numerous powerboats' wake easily (those guys never slow down for you, do they?), was nimble and maneuverable, and tracking was never an issue because of the smooth-working rudder.

Last week I took it out on a trip around Franklin Island with two more canoes in the group. It behaved very well, no complaints. The maximum load capacity (150 kg) is quite high for a kayak of this length. However, since there is no bow hatch, one is tempted for simplicity's sake to stuff all the gear into the rear compartment. Don't do this! The boat would be out of trim and it 'd be immediately noticeable, especially in following seas.

I also found out that I had to paddle harder than I expected to keep up with both canoes. Somehow I presumed a kayak would be faster than the canoes. But I cannot pass any judgment on Breeze's speed or efficiency since I am new to kayaking, and it is probably my paddling style that needs improving

On our way back to Snug Harbor we had to deal with 15...20-knot wind from the bay with it's accompanying 3-foot waves, whitecaps and all. Circling the island we had to first paddle into the wind, than take it broadside for a while, and finally paddle with the wind and waves following at 45-degree angle. The Breeze handled rough conditions easily and confidently, it never felt close to capsize and with the help of it's rudder was always manageable. I am thinking of replacing the rudder blade with a foil-shaped one of a larger size though, because I plan to add a sail rig to the kayak. The rear hitch did not leak, and the hull did not flex in waves.
Those were the Pros.

Now the Cons:
The thigh pads are but two pieces of crappy self-adhesive microcell foam, they started coming off in pieces on day two, and will have to be replaced with something more substantial. The cockpit trim is a joke: it is a U-cross-sectioned plastic strip which is simply and loosely pushed (no adhesive!) onto the cockpit edge; of course it won't stay on - one has to push it back on several times a day. The rudder is not a foil, just a cheap aluminum stamping.

But one cannot expect too much for the price of the boat. All the kayaks in this price range (Elie, Riot etc.) have their strengths and weaknesses, but it is always obvious where the manufacturer chose to cut cost. In case of Breeze the shortcuts are fairly innocent, I would certainly recommend this kayak.

04-07-2009
Submitted by: CazSend Email

I owned a CD Breeze for 5 years before it was stolen off my car carrier. I had often thought about upgrading from this, my starter kayak, but never found any others that truly made me want to give the Breeze up. I bought her in MO and used her in lakes, reservoirs and slow moving creeks in Kansas before moving her up to Alaska where I used this "recreational" kayak as a sea kayak. 85% of my trips in Alaska were over-night or multi-day trips in the Prince William Sound. The remaining time was spent teaching others how to kayak on glacier-fed lakes.

The amount of conditions this boat and I went through were incredibly varied! She handled well for a 'yak with such a wide beam and short keel. I noticed that her tracking improved as you increased the weight, but the trade-off was you plowed more water as your waterline moved up. I most likely over-packed this champ, but she never gave me a moment's worry even in 34°F ambient air with 3 ft wind-driven chop!

She was very easy to surf when headed back into shore and handled cross-winds fairly well. I never installed the rudder on mine, and would agree with some of the other reviews that this 'yak will tell you if something is wrong with your stroke by pulling off center if you're not balanced.

The longest stretch I did with this kayak was a three-day trip to Blackstone Glacier, Whittier, AK. There was a mix of boats in our group and I was quite often in the front. She proved a bit harder to keep on pace with a tandem, but was good enough to maintain vocal communication.

Overall, this was a fantastic boat and one of the best purchases I've made. She handled very full seasons of kayaking in some of the best (glass) and worst (6 ft seas) that I ventured out in. I was confident enough in her stability to use her as a training bed for many novice kayakers. Even though I was tempted on occasion to trade her for a fiberglass or kevlar kayak, I always came back to my 'ol faithful!

04-20-2007

The Breeze is a great little boat! 4 years ago, I traded a Dagger Edisto in for a Breeze on the way home from a week-long trip. (As a novice, I foolishly thought that my starter boat was a kayak, not the flat-bottomed scow that it was- I had to borrow the Breeze's 'big sister', the Storm, to finish the River Rumble.) I paddled the Breeze 100+ miles during last year's Rumble (Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers) and stayed in the middle of the pack with no problems. This boat readily handles everything from shallow marshes to Class 1-2 whitewater. The Breeze tracks well enough without the rudder, but CD's rudder system is a huge help when the water gets rough. This boat might not be the fastest or most graceful, but it does many things well, and would be a great choice for anyone looking for a rec boat. One complaint: neoprene hatch covers are a pain in the butt (just about got it... DRAT! the other side popped off!)

06-30-2006

I took a self-rescue / team-rescue class on this boat and I was sold on it. Less than two weeks later, I traded in a rec kayak I had for this day touring kayak and I havent regretted the switch at all. This baby "glides" on the water and handles chop like a hot knife through butter. My other kayak, although very stable, made me feel like I was plowing through the chop, this baby made me feel like I was riding on top of it. Very nice feeling and boy... its fast. I'm sure there are faster kayaks out there but I can appreciate the speed I get on this boat. I like the deck rigging on the front and back. The only thing I wished was better on it is the seats - I wished the seat back was higher - I'm wondering if the style of seat on this boat is "encouraging" you to sit straight up and down rather than slouch back on the boat - other than that - its a dream to paddle.

12-18-2005
Submitted by: WayneSend Email

My 13.5' Current Design Breeze is a wonderful product that tracks and glides easily. I bought it new in Alexandria VA for $599 after seeing it in many places for $749. I wish I'd bought two. My only complaint is I do not have anything to complain about!

04-05-2005

The Breeze is a great boat for bird watching and photography. I've taken some great pics of Herons and Cranes from this boat at a small lake near the house. Very stable boat, but a little slow compared to some boats I've paddled. Comfortable and probably a good first boat for 200+ lb people. I preferred it over a Blackwater 12'6 I had a few years back and found it a little easier to fish out of. Overall a good boat for the price.

09-29-2004

My wife and I bought two CD Breezes in August and have used them in small creeks, large rivers, and lakes. They are one of the nicest paddling boats we own, and we have 6 boats. The Breeze is stable enough to take pictures and/or fish from, and fast enough to go exploring. For day trips, the storage is ample. Nothing bad to report. Excellent small boat.

09-04-2004

I purchased my Breeze off of this website from a gentleman who was a rep at one time for Current Designs. I have found that this boat tracks well without the rudder, but putting the rudder in has given me the ability to navigate some pretty tight bogs without pushing off with the paddle itself. It glides easily in the lakes that I have had the pleasure of paddling. As swell size increases, the rudder has become a dear friend. My only negative point is the lack of front storage, but then again, the price on this model far exceeds the negative impact of this.

06-04-2004

As new kayakers in our early 50s, looking for our first boats, we did a good bit of research through this website, and others. We got a lot of great advice on different types of kayaks; however, the best advice we got was: 1)demo a number of kayaks, and 2)purchase the kayak in which you feel most comfortable. Having done all that, we purchased two Current Designs Breeze kayaks. They fit every need that we had -- lightweight, good tracking, easy to handle, stable, relatively fast, easy to turn, sufficient storage space, and the cockpit size was perfect for us. We are using these on tidal creeks and in the river. The Breeze is perfectly named -- paddling these kayaks is a breeze. We highly recommend these kayaks.

10-31-2003

After much research and testing, I picked the Current Design (CD) systems over other brands for a hybrid boat. Both the Breeze and Whistler were a cut above the competition in the same length and price range for looks, amount of webbing, keel design, and hardness of plastic. I am 50 years old, 5’ 10’’, 200 lbs., with thick, strong, short legs and wanted a stable boat for exercise on a slow river system, the Petaluma River in California, where I could bird watch, cruise, etc. on a regular basis (90% of my expected water time) and still have enough boat for intermediate paddling situations such as the SF Bay and overnight camping (5-10% of trips). I particularly liked the keel system with the solid, easy-in rest and large beads for raising and lowering the keel. I also liked the larger cockpit with an extra inch of room for my toes, knees, and thighs. I found all the other brands a tad tight and slightly less comfortable. I had to make adjustments on other brands, but I fit right into this one.

I chose the CD Breeze over the CD Whistler since it is much more maneuverable with little loss in speed and storage. The tracking I found is very dependent on the paddling. Moving the center of weight a little, or pressing on one of the petals a little more than the other, or shifting the strokes even a little can affect the turning of the boat. I can keep the boat straight, but have to maintain vigilance on my style. I love its maneuverability, but it has a price.

So why did I buy the Breeze instead of the Whistler, especially since it has less cargo space with only one hatch in the rear, and 1 foot shorter? I will be day tripping over 90% of the time, so I felt the added space was not essential or even necessary. For the few longer trips I can use water proof bags stowed in the front. The $100 savings was not a critical factor since my total cost for an all gear package was in the range of $1700. Being a few pounds lighter did not seem to be much different for loading and unloading. The cruise speeds did not seem that different.

The main factors for going with the Breeze were: 1) greater comfort and 2) greater maneuverability. Even though the Breeze has less depth than the Whistler, it feels like it has more room for toes and knees and just seemed to fit my body better. The Petaluma River system has marshes with sloughs that are narrow so maneuverability became a major factor, especially after I saw a 17 foot racer get stuck trying to turn around. I decided short was better. The cruise speed is similar, but I gave up a lot on tracking and have to constantly correct and consciously maintain good paddling style or tend to drift off course. However, I can turn on a dime and move the kayak in a new direction with a single stroke without having to tip much. In this respect, the Breeze was superior to any boat over 12 feet.

I agree with other reviewers on the seat back. I have excellent posture and sit straight up and want a seat back that can be moved more forward for lumbar support.

09-12-2003
Submitted by: DG

Great all-around kayak! Stable with great tracking and extremely well made. Am going to buy another one for another member of my family.

07-17-2003
Submitted by: TJSSend Email

I have been paddling a Breeze for almost a year in all kinds of weather and many types of water. Overall I'm very pleased with my boat. If you are looking for a good day touring boat this would be a great choice. I love the manueverability of the boat along with good tracking. I have had no problems with my boat. My only complaints would be lack of storage on longer trips and what I believe to be an uncomfortable seat back. The seat bottom is excellent. I recommend buying a better back band for it. I purchased a perception seat back and modified it for my boat. Big difference.

07-15-2003

I've owned my Breeze for about 8 months now and have found it stable, maneuverable, and easy to paddle. It has nice rigging, adequate stowage space, but maybe not the most comfortable seating there is. I began paddling about 1 1/2 years ago in an old used Aquaterra Chinook NW, which is a good deal longer and somewhat narrower than the Breeze. So naturally the Breeze is slower than that Chinook, but not as much slower as I expected it to be. And the little bit that's lost in speed is more than made up for in maneuverability.

As far as tracking goes, it seems to me that CD has hit on a good solution--they've provided a jam cleat where you can park the topside rudder cable and thus keep the dropped rudder in a constant position, so it behaves somewhat like a skeg to improve tracking. Alternately, you can leave the rudder cable alone if you just want to use the rudder normally or not at all. I personally don't find the tracking to be that bad even w/o the rudder, but I'm still something of a novice paddler, so perhaps not as demanding on this score as some more experienced folks.

I use my Breeze in intracoastal waters such as protected bays and sounds, and on flatwater rivers and bayous. It's a particularly good design for the twisty-turny, canopied rivers and bayous near my home in NW Florida. I could wish for a forward hatch instead of the flotation bag, but the stern hatch is adequate for day touring. I'd also like a more comfortable seat, though the seat back is close to being just right in height, padding, and adjustability.

That said, I enjoy my Breeze enormously, and, being a teacher (and thus without summer employment), I've paddled it almost every day since the end of the spring semester.

07-15-2003

I'm just adding that I meant to assign a rating of 7 out of 10, not 10 out of 10, because of the seating and the storage in this boat. Enjoyable, but not perfect.

06-30-2003
Submitted by: Carl BolerSend Email

I own a Dagar Savannah and switched boats for the day. The Breeze (without rudder) being one foot shorter than my Savannah I thought the boats would handle similarly. Wrong! In my opinion the Breeze does not track very well. I found myself having to overly compensate to correct the movements of the Breeze. My friend felt the same the previous day. At the end of an 8 mile paddle I was completely exhausted. As with my Savannah I would have been ready to continue paddling. I recommend the potential buyer to look elsewhere for a different boats. Test paddle as many boats as possible.

06-07-2002

My overall impression is that the Breeze is a combination of touring and rec boats. It is fairly stable, and due to its design, can be used for extended cruising. It is not a top-flite touring boat, nor is it an ideal recreational platform. But it is a great combination of both, and a bargain for those who want to do a little of everything.

I have encountered no unusal problems with weather-cocking or tracking. The boat is exceptionally easy to paddle and glides beautifully.

As for handling out of the water, the boat is easier to handle that wider boats I have encountered. I can easily carry it by myself, and with another person it is a snap. Its weight is in the average range and so presents no unusual problems for those with realistic expectations.

The only minus is the seat, which is actually more comfortable than many boats, but not up to the standard of my Pungo. Before you buy one, try one out and compare it with several others. Boat appraisal is highly subjective.

05-28-2002
Submitted by: Bill CSend Email

I test paddled the Current Designs Breeze at the urging of my local dealer. I am thinking of upgrading from a Perception Swifty, which is a very good boat, although it is less than elegant. I was very disappointed with the Current Designs boat and recommend the prospective buyer pass this up or buy a Swifty and save BIG dollars. My criteria were to find a boat that performed better than the Swifty but with better tracking and at the risk of losing maneuverability. The expectation was that the new boat would be longer for the tracking improvements and the extra length would smooth out the ride on choppy water. The Breeze is well fitted with a rear bulkhead space, hatch, deck lines, and rudder mount. It looks a bit archaic to me, as if I would expect Vikings to be the crew. The problems start when you hit the water. I didn’t have a model with a rudder but I expected reasonable incremental improvements over my rudderless Swifty. My first impression was a pleasant amount of “tippyness” but no stability problems. Then I paddled out into an approximately 5 MPH wind and the boat immediately began to weathercock. In fact, it weathercocked like a huge weathervane. I sprinted of to get to more sheltered water and noted that the nose twitched irritatingly with every stroke of the paddle. I brought the boat up to a comfortable cruising speed and held it there for a quarter mile or so, and noted a 4 MPH reading on my GPS. My Swifty does a comfortable 3.5 mph cruise, where’s the BIG speed increase the dealer kept promising? Still weathercocking, I sped up in an all out splash fest to push the boat to its maximum speed, only to see a dismal 5.2 mph on the GPS. (I can get 4.5+ in my 29” wide, 9.5 ft Swifty!!) Now that I had entered a narrow slough I let the boat glide. The tracking was even worse in a glide! I had to repeatedly correct for bow yaw; the whole boat rotated but kept moving in the same general direction. I’m sure I would have eventually been cruising sideways if I hadn’t struggled to keep straightening things out. I took several more 1/4 mile passes over the next half-hour with no improvement before I hauled the boat out. And haul it was, the boat weighs 50+ pounds compared to my 36 LB Swifty. I don’t know what kind of idiot my dealer thinks I am, but the Breeze is simply Current Designs entry level boat and probably not much more. I concluded that the sharp bow and stern of the Swifty coupled with the dual tracking channels results in a much better grip on the water than the relatively featureless hull of the Breeze. My suggestion is to skip over this boat, but more importantly test paddle before buying even an entry-level boat.

09-26-2001
Submitted by: Gordon RitchieSend Email

My wife recently purchased a Breeze (roto plastic with a rudder) after test driving a number of boats. She is delighted. Over the past month alone, she has racked up 50 miles on lakes and rivers on day trips. Best features: excellent primary stability, smooth sailing, good storage (one hatch plus open bow space for float/dry bags) and very easy handling out of the water (lugging around, slinging onto car, etc.). Highly recommended for flat water recreational touring.

08-21-2001
Submitted by: FrankSend Email

Paddled Looksha VI for 6 km. today wishing I was in my own Breeze for the comfort factor. Switched boats and it was wonderful, knees way up, legs apart, huge cockpit entrance. Who needs a rudder, it tracks well enough and corrects easily. The material and workmanship is much higher in the Breeze than the Looksha's. Trim around the hatch covers and the cockpit are much superior. Breeze also keeps its shape much better than the Lookshas my friend had along... they had all kinds of deformations underneath. Only concern is speed (read fatigue on long trips) and stowing when camping.

08-21-2001
Submitted by: Andrew D.Send Email

My buddy and I have been the owners of a Breeze for 6 months. We both love these roto-mould kayaks, use them on lake & river expeditions a great deal. Both boats came with rudders and this simple addition allows incredible manoeuvrability. The seats, while basic in appearance, are very comfortable. I suspect that one would wish for a longer kayak with more storage for ocean use, perhaps the next one up on the line, the Storm.

07-20-2001
Submitted by: GreavesSend Email

I own a "Breeze" and have used it in the Adirondaks and Chincoteague for two years. The hull slightly collapses under my left foot making the kayak pull left. I tried to have a rudder put on,but Jersey Paddler could not do it.Kayak is very good,but I would not recommend it for seniors (I'm 63).

06-21-2001
Submitted by: WilsonSend Email

My wife tried out the Breeze at serveral demo days in comparison with the Cape Horn 15' and the Storm. After four outings of four hours each she decided on the Breeze. The reasons: reasonable traking without the rudder, good turning abilities, price and it was the most comfortable (the BEST reason!). A great buy!

05-22-2001

This is absolutely the BEST kayak I've ever tried. I fell in love with it the moment I tried it 3 years ago (so did my brother). I just actually bought one for this summer. They're around $800 plus. I plan on buying a second one next summer. (one kayak a year!) I would absolutely reccommend this kayak to anybody & someday myself, my husband & 3 kids will each have one I'm sure unless they come out with a better one.... and good luck at that!

05-22-2001
Submitted by: DougSend Email

My son and I found two of these on our doorstep at Christmas. I was leery because I was used to paddling a Perception Sea Lion with a rudder and liked that boat. With Adirondack lakes frozen until early May, we headed to Chesapeake Bay in April to try the new boats. Another of my sons came, so we took the Sea Lion too. I was pleasantly surprised! The Breeze boats were so easy to paddle, even for my son who has some disabilities. The only drawback I noticed on the first trip was with a quartering bow wind, I got wet from spray. My older son in the Sea Lion stayed dry. Since the ice went out up here I've been out whenever possible. The last two nights have been windy, but the boat does OK. Still getting some spray though. It takes work to quarter the waves, but it cuts well and bobs like a cork when the water gets real rough. I'm very impressed with the stability. Especially getting in and out of the boat.

09-14-2000
Submitted by: RMMSend Email

I just purchased a yellow Breeze after test paddling it and a Perception Cape Horn. I was impressed with it's ease of paddling, stability, comfort and quality. On my first day, I paddled for 2 1/2 hours, exploring LI Sounds islands, coves, harbors and tributory rivers. What a delightful boat! She is lovely to look at and performs extremely well for a 13 1/2 foot boat. I recommend her to anyone seeking a terrific day touring kayak.

06-26-2000
Submitted by: L

I'm a big guy - 6'4", 275 lb. Had a chance to try several boats side-by-side at a Paddlefest. I'm still a novice paddler. I was surprised that I could even fit into the Breeze, but the cockpit was fairly comfortable. It could use a bit more height to make it easier for me to fit under the thigh braces, but otherwise it fit pretty well. In the water, it's a very fun boat to paddle. Very stable, turns on the proverbial dime. But it's definitely not fast. If you want a boat to play in, one that is responsive and maneuverable, this is a great choice. If you're looking for a fast cruiser, try something longer.

10-12-1999
Submitted by: MartinSend Email

I had originally wanted to buy an Acadia and then someone mentioned the Carolina...so I was very excited until I tried it. SO in an effort to get my spirits up I tried the Breeze....it was great. I loved the roominess and it seemed to outperform the Carolina. It is quick and easy to maneuver.

09-05-1999
Submitted by: JSSend Email

I've been paddling my Breeze for 6 months now and love her more with every other boat I paddle. I thought longer boats would paddle more easily but of the Sea Lion, Looksha IV and Carolina none of them handled as easily as well as the Breeze. She tracks as well if not better than any of the other. She is a short boat and doesn't have tons of speed but is surprising for her size and she is so easly to paddle that she doesn't kill you keeping up with much longer boats. She has only one hatch so boat camping can be interesting but for a day boat she is great.

08-10-1999
Submitted by: RJPSend Email

My husband and I rented a couple of these. They seemed to handle well (though we are both complete novices). I was not impressed with the quality. The plastic seemed flimsy and the boat I had had a big "dent" (a deformity in the plastic) in the bottom. Though as rental kayaks they probably get more than their share of abuse and they were still floating with no leaks.

05-24-1999
Submitted by: Clyde

I Tested the Breeze the other day and found it to handle better than the other boats that I handled that day (Edisto, Baja). It was very easy to paddle and felt very stable. The only drawbacks were its speed (short boat) and one hatch.

04-17-1999
Submitted by: T.S.

Had a chance to test paddle the Current Designs "Breeze" today and was really impressed. I had just tried the new Carolina by Perception and felt the Breeze beat it hands down. Granted, the Breeze doesn't have the storage capacity of the Carolina. However, I was amazed how much easier the breeze was to paddle!! The salesman told me it was just a more efficiently designed hull that made the difference. I thought longer boats were supposed to be easier to paddle? The Carolina is over a foot longer than the breeze. Sorry Perception, C.D. designed a better mousetrap here.

Botetourt County Tourism: