Product Reviews > Canoes > Placid Boatworks > Shadow Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Shadow Canoe by Placid Boatworks

Shadow Canoe by Placid Boatworks

Length: 16' 0" - Width: 25.0" - Starting at: $3050.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Placid Boatworks Logo

04-18-2014
Submitted by: DanSend Email

The Shadow has spoiled me for other watercraft. I still use my (quite nice) sea kayak for open water, but it feels heavy and clumsy after the Shadow. I am not a racer and 60+, but can cover 15-20 miles in a relaxing day. For me the Shadow is a passport to beautiful days on the river. Coming from a 21.5 inch wide sea kayak, the Shadow feels rock stable. This is not an inexpensive canoe, but it makes a fussy man break out into a smile.

07-03-2012
Submitted by: JWSend Email

I concur with riverdave. the boat is very fast. I have been training for my first race in 7 years. I will be entering the over 60 solo canoe in this upcoming race. I have been averaging 4.88 mph per 12 miles with just a steady stroke. Haven't put myself in race pace yet. that will come. I am sure a young spring chicken could push this boat at a 6 to 7 mph rate. I experienced a little weather cocking with the wind off my stearn quarters but that was easily corrected. Love the boat, worth every dime I paid for it.

06-14-2011

Last week I picked up my long awaited Shadow from Joe Moore at Placid Boatworks. I've been a lifetime paddler with experience in paddlecraft ranging from surf ski racing to freestyle canoeing and can confidently express that the Shadow (designed by the legendary David Yost) is the finest boat I've ever set my butt in.

At 26 lbs. it is feather light. The construction is artistic and impeccable. It's first outing was a 3 day 45 mile paddle and portage trip through the Adirondack region. Facing strong winds and moderate waves the Shadow holds a course confidently in all directions with weathercocking close to non existent. The boat is ridiculously fast, has remarkable and predictable secondary stability, and when leaned over turns on a dime. While promoted as a pack canoe (intended for double paddle) the boat paddles effortlessly with a single stick.

Dealing with Joe Moore is a joy and while the Shadow is rather pricey, it is unquestionably worth every penny!