Product Reviews > Accessories > Yakima Evenkeel Saddles Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Yakima Evenkeel Saddles

Rated: 4.4/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Yakima Logo
See Products from Yakima in the Buyers' Guide!
Yakima in the Buyers' Guide:
  • ShowBoat
  • BoatLoader
  • HullRaiser Aero

12-02-2011

yes, these do tend to slide apart. i slit a couple short sections of garden hose and duct taped them to the bar next to the inner support. that keeps that one from sliding. my tower foot keeps the other one from moving.

you could also just loop a rope around the pair and tie that off to hold them together. But for the price of these things you shouldn't have to do this shade tree engineering. They do support my hull nicely though and because they flex you can tighten the boat nicely.

11-30-2011
Submitted by: Juan OteroSend Email

I have owned the Yakima Evenkeel Saddles for almost two years now.
they have held everything from an Ocean Kayak Scrambler to a WS Pungo 140 to an Ocean Torque to my current to go boat; a Necky Looksha 17. The Saddles were placed on a rounded Yakima bar, they never gave me any trouble nor they came out of place. Several kayaks have traveled up 'n' down at 65 mph without incidents or dents. even though these seem extremely simple to install it does pay greatly to read the whole instructions booklet.

I have had many others, more expensive rack attachments for my kayaks yet the Evenkeel remains as my all time / all kayak's favorite.

11-28-2011
Submitted by: PopflySend Email

DO NOT BUY THESE
They slide on the Yakima cross bars & if you tighten them up properly the top comes off the base.

09-02-2011

I agree these saddles move around but that s not the main problem ,the surface area of the saddle is to small my kayak (Elie Strait 140) got dents after driving in the hot afternoon sun. I got the dents out by putting the boat on a rug on the floor ,pressing the dent flat with my hand and putting a heavy weight on it,when i removed the weight 24 hours later -the dent was gone. To make a long story short, I returned the Evenkeel saddles to REI.

06-10-2011

I recently purchased two sets of Evenkeel saddles. I installed them on Yakima bars, tightened them down as much as I could, mounted my kayaks on them and drove two miles to the store at 25mph. When I got home the saddles had slide from under the kayaks, which were now resting on the round bar! There is no way to stop these saddles from sliding on a Yakima round bar. They might work on Thule or factory bars. I own three other kinds of Yakima saddles, and two kinds of J bars, so I have a lot of experience loading kayaks on cars. I transport boats over a 100 days a year, and have been doing so for over ten years, so I know what I am doing. These saddles are worthless. I am really surprised Yakima sells them.

Advanced Elements: