Product Reviews > Kayaks > Elie Paddlesports > Sound 120 XE Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Sound 120 XE Kayak by Elie Paddlesports

Rated: 8.86/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

Sound 120 XE Kayak by Elie Paddlesports

Length: 12' 0" - Width: 28.00" - Starting at: $699.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Elie Paddlesports Logo

08-20-2014

Pretty great kayak for the price. This was my first fishing kayak and what ultimately turned me onto other forms of paddling. A few minor quality issues but they can mostly be attributed to me beating the boat up more than it deserved.

08-16-2013

Got my first Kayak at age 74. Had never been in one before and tried 3 different boats at dealer before buying this one. Could not have made a better choice! Handles easily, pretty comfortable, and I can load and unload on car top with no trouble. Use in backwater swamps and creeks in eastern NC coastal plane.

Very satisfied! You won't go wrong with this one! Hull handles all of the submerged logs and stumps with no problem. I just have problem getting out after several hours!!

07-17-2013
Submitted by: JRSend Email

I travel a lot for work, so I depend on kayak rentals much too frequently. Of the rentals I've used in the past year or so, the Elie Sound 120 XE was the best. I rented it for a day of kayaking on a large, inland reservoir; still in the morning, windy in the afternoon, no current or rips.

The Elie tracked well, was completely manageable even in the afternoon wind, and had a surprisingly comfortable seat for a stock model. It was very stable, but I didn't feel as if I was paddling a bathtub around the lake (unlike my most recent rental, which was stable as stable gets, but also sluggish and heavy). The knee/thigh padding was good. The foot pegs adjusted easily and didn't slip around out on the water (I have a habit of bearing down on them in the wind, apparently more than the average kayaker, so this is always an issue with me).

A plus: the cockpit is wide, so I had no trouble sliding in or out at the shore. I thought the tray--which I didn't really use--might create an access problem, but it didn't. The kayak was light and easy to lift to the shoulder (the manufacturer says this is because of its "lightweight and incredibly durable Poly-XR material").

I'd definitely consider buying this model for day trips on lakes or rivers (not whitewater) if I didn't travel so much. I'm not sure I'd use it on open coastal water with tides/currents/high wind (just got back from a kayaking trip in the Puget Sound) without a rudder.

03-20-2013

Awesome kayak! It tracks well, it's fairly speedy, it's also light and easy to carry. The seat is really comfortable for about 3-4 hours; after that you'll need a stretch. I use it primarily for fishing and it performs well.

09-28-2011
Submitted by: westlaSend Email

Good boat that tracks fairly well. Large cockpit for ease of entry. Has no bulkheads. A bit heavy (~50#) but solid.

08-10-2010
Submitted by: TAPSend Email

I purchased a Sound 120 XE and thoroughly enjoy it. Usually kayak 5+ hours when out for the day. I've used it on ponds, lakes, and in the coves and harbors of Narragansett Bay, and it performs just the way I expected. Stays straight and tracks great. If caught in a wind, however, you just have to work a little harder to keep it straight. Nice lines/design - looks like fiberglass. I'm very happy with my Elie!

05-05-2010
Submitted by: JustinSend Email

This is a fantastic boat
I am a relative beginner, I have paddled a smaller boat on a 6 hour trip down a river, I thought that was great. I tried this boat and and was shocked at how little effort it takes to move this boat around. During the test I went in a simple square shape, I feel as if the boat tracks great, I couldn't be happier with it