Product Reviews > Accessories > Ocean Kayak Backrest Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Ocean Kayak Backrest

Research Comfort - Seats, Pads, Backrests in the Buyers' Guide!
Comfort - Seats, Pads, Backrests
View Comfort - Seats, Pads, Backrests in Buyers' Guide

07-02-2014

I own the Ocean Kayak Comfort Pro Backrest. I would recommend it for a Ocean Frenzy. It gives the right support and it is light and not bulky. It stays in place. As I find with all Ocean products, it is made very well. A definite good value! I give this backrest 5 stars!

03-18-2013

Ocean Kayak Comfort Seat: Lists for $89.95 at Ocean Kayak web site. According to Ocean Kayak, "A cushy backrest with cushioned seat pad for comfort and a drier ride. Durable foam-injected design provides sturdy support." This statement is accurate, but is not nearly the whole story.

My experience is that this seat totally transformed my experience of paddling a sit-on-top (SOT) kayak. I normally paddle a high-performance, sit-in, sea kayak, and I dislike paddling SOTs and do not own one since they are so uncomfortable for me to paddle. For some reason, even when pushing hard on the heel stops built into a SOT, my butt slides forward when paddling the kayak, which results in an extreme reclining position so that I cannot use torso rotation, which is very painful to my lower back and extremely exhausting (I become exhausted partly from the pain). However, when I visited Lake Tahoe last summer a SOT was the only kind available to rent, but all of the SOTs had the Ocean Kayak Comfort Seat installed. I was dubious, but rented one anyway. What a transformation! While the 11-ft by 32-inch kayak itself was somewhat of a barge, and weathercocked badly, I stayed in place and could use my normal torso rotation, and did not get unnaturally exhausted. Although I do not own a SOT, I plan to buy a Comfort Seat to take along when I run into SOT kayak rentals. I cannot think of any reason not to rate this item a "10".

04-14-1999
Submitted by: DLMSend Email

I have both the Therapeutic Support and Comfort models. The Theraputic Support ($48)is a just a sheet of hard plastic with straps but it improves comfort tremendously and supports my back very well. The Comfort model ($30 is a similar design but in a moderately stiff plastic coated closed cell foam. Doesn't provide quite the support of the Theraputic but allows me to lean back and lift my bow while surfing. I found that adding straps to the bottom and top made this one stay in place much better than with the manufacturers strap configuration. I have used the Hi-Tech ($90) and found the support to be poor and the seat padding unnecessary (I wear a wetsuit.) The Basic model ($42) provides almost no support and won't stay in place.