Product Reviews > Kayaks > Dagger > Bayou Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Bayou Kayak by Dagger

Rated: 9.42/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

07-24-2013
Submitted by: BPGSend Email

This was my first kayak. It is my favorite of the two I have. The other being a Wilderness Tarpon sit on top. I have taken it off 6 foot waterfall where all 200 pounds of me and the kayak full nose dived in to a rock on the bottom and it only added a little character mark on the nose. I also have run it aground on any surface with out worry. Though oysters make me cringe when done and like any kayak you can see scraps on the bottom.

It can be ridden safely in class 3 water and I have taken it class 4. I would suggest a skirt as the water will come over the bow when diving in rapids. I also use it for hunting ducks. My favorite use for it by far...

Tracks really well but also can be maneuvered in tight spaces. My fav creek is landmined with fallen trees.

05-31-2012
Submitted by: anne cSend Email

Bought my Bayou 12 years ago. A great boat at a great price. It has been in the Atlantic, Pacific, lakes in Alberta, B.C., Glacier N.P.. I was paddling across New Fork Lakes, Wyoming in a big windstorm with 2 foot waves coming across the bow and the Bayou tracked steady right through it and got me through 5 miles of paddling hell.

I read it has been discontinued. Too bad.
I have a Dagger 10.5 and 11.5 and the Bayou is better than them both.

11-03-2005
Submitted by: Bob S.Send Email

The Dagger Bayou was and is the only Kayak I have owned since I started kayaking a couple of years ago. I kind of stumbled upon the Bayou as it was the 'Camo' version and it seemed no one else wanted it. Not only did I get a GREAT price on the Bayou but I really like the Camo as well. I love the Bayou as it is low to the water and very easy to paddle. I have added some bungie straps of my own so I can store my paddle on one side and a fishing rod on the other if needed. I have used several other kayaks and like the Bayou as it is maneuverable for its larger size but still tracks nicely. I have used it on lakes, rivers and even taken it to the Intercoastal waterway in North Carolina. I guess it is now a discontinued model but I will still enjoy mine for many more years.

01-28-2002

I've had my Bayou for about a year and a half. I've been kayaking for about 3 years, and have owned a bunch of boats, to include a Loon 111 and a Sierra. The Bayou is without question my favorite. I do everything from "gunk-holeing" in estuarial creeks to class II whitewater, and have never been wet. I have absolute confidance in the boat. I like the smaller cockpit (36" long), because I don't drag a lot of water in from paddle dripping. While it would be nice to have a little higher space beneath the rear deck behind the seat, it is certainly managable. The Bayou is the nicest boat that I have ever paddled in the 11' range.

07-20-2001

After buying a Dagger Zydeco a week prior to picking up this boat I couldn't wait to try it out. I have to say I was a little disappointed. The look of the boat is great but it is a bit impractical. The bungee cord is positioned in the front of the boat making it difficult to place a cooler there and still be able to see in front of you. A rear bungee would be alot more functional. The lack of height clearance inside the boat makes it virtually impossible to fit a dry bag or cooler inside as well. An adjustable fold down seat is a big plus compared to what is in the Zydeco. They could have improved it even more by installing rails to move the seat forward and backward like in the Old Town Loon 111. Performance and stability are wonderful. On my first river outing I got the boat turned sideways going into some rapids and it filled completely full of water. It stayed suprisingly bouyant enough for me to drag it to shore and drain it out. I think this problem can be attributed to my inexperience as well as the lack of cockpit height. I have to say although this bought looks alot cooler the Zydeco is much more functional.

03-21-2001
Submitted by: BMCSend Email

I bought the bayou (my first kayak) last summer because of it's affordability and great reviews. I have not been dissapointed and I don't think I will ever buy another recreational kayak. It's great for lakes, rivers and even the ocean, just like everyone says. I have even caught trout out of the boat, which was a blast! The best part about it is it's light weight. I can load the boat on and off my car by myself, which makes it easy to take off to the lake for the day. However, if you are interested in going long distances, this is not the boat for you due to it's lack of speed, which on a lake or bay is not the point anyways...

08-02-2000
Submitted by: Dave W.Send Email

I have tried the Perception Swifty and Sierra, Old Town Loon 100, Wilderness Systems Pungo and settled on the Dagger Bayou. Stable, good handling, good standard features makes the Bayou a great deal. The Bayou is ver stable, it's dry, has deck rigging, a security bar and padded seat with adjustable back. Best choice in recreational kayaks on this size.

07-25-2000
Submitted by: JustinSend Email

Great all around kayak. Tracks the best of all the recreational Kayaks. The Bayou is very stable and a great kayak for tall people with long legs (6'2"), also the seat is very comfortable.

06-17-2000
Submitted by: DarrellSend Email

The Bayou is a nice small kayak. After capsizing the boat I did install floatation front of the foot pads and aft of the seat. With me in the boat (200 lbs) and full of water it was to low in the water to use a hand water pump. I would reccomend that any boat without bulk heads to add floatation. That being said I enjoy the stability and and size, a fine kayak to fish from and explore those little tiny inlets where bigger boats can not go. Needs only 5" of water even with 200 lbs.

11-01-1999

This spring('99) a friend and I both purchased Bayous, after having used Perception "Keowees" for 5 years. The Dagger Bayou is a world apart...much easier paddling, very stable, a real joy to have on the water. We've used our Bayous on everything from lakes to Class II whitewater...they're great boats, and have plenty of storage space for day trips. Seat is VERY comfortable, and the "foamskin" material eliminates the need for flotation bags(great idea). A great design!

11-01-1999
Submitted by: RWOSend Email

The Bayou is my first kayak. In the 14 months since I bought it, I've been down a high Russian River, out in the Pacific Ocean in Northern California, on various bays, and lakes large and small. I even ocean surfed in this boat. The strengh of the Bayou is it's versatility. The short length and moderate weight make it easy to transport and launch. Its only weaknesses are those that are evident when comparing it to a specialized, rather than a generalized, boat. The primary stability is fantastic, and tracking is, as advertized, great. I took a sea kayaking intro course and used this boat, and the instructor laughed at how fast the boat flipped a 180 when leaned over past the limit of the marginal secondary stability. And in the rescue portion of the class, it was evident that my flotation bag in the stern wasn't enough for reentry into a waterlogged cockpit. But a beginner won't be leaning the boat that far over, ever. I'll definitely keep my Bayou as my 'guest boat' when I get the true ocean kayak that now meets my preferred paddling activity.

04-12-1999
Submitted by: KJSend Email

We offer guided whitewater/scenic trips for beginners,intermediate, and advanced paddlers. Our boat of choice, up until last year, was another manufacturers recreational line of kayak,when Dagger introduced the Bayou it was a no brainer.All the extras on the Bayou make it a great boat for everyone. Padded seats, extra large room in the cockpit, adjustable footrests, deck rigging, toggles, and a security bar are all standard features at an affordable price. The Bayou is easy to paddle and very stable so it's a great boat for all occasions. We have lots of fisherman take out the Bayou to get back in the bays and along the flooded willows during crappie season where larger boats can't go. We have gone to the Bayou almost exclusively. Now that it's big brother the Delta is available, Dagger has got it all covered.Great boat when big waters aren't available.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports