Product Reviews > Kayaks > Old Town Canoe > Loon 160T Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Loon 160T Kayak by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 9.15/10 Based On: 60 Reviews

07-27-2013
Submitted by: Mike Send Email

My wife and I have owned our Old Town Loon 160T for nearly 13 years and we love the versatility of it. The fact that we can go out as a 2 person kayak or bring the front seat back and lock it into the center and go out as a single person adventure vessel is just great and the storage capacity of our kayak allows for us to stowe our tent, water jug and a backpack in the bow and a backpack and 2 small coolers in the stern and still have storage accommodations available on the top of the bow, and the stern. With camping gear on-board and not obstructing your view it's adventure on down your favorite river to that great campsite far away from the chaos of the everyday grind.

When fishing from the shoreline is a bust the accommodations on the kayak for paddle locks come in real handy to lock in your lucky fishing pole and take to the hidden nooks and lily pads that would otherwise be hard to reach areas with a motorized watercraft or big clunky row boat allowing you to reel in a nice size large mouth bass for supper!

From Fishing to camping and adventures down calm streams and lakes to hitting the rapids this kayak has seen it all and still makes the grade meeting our expectation each and every time... now if only we had a second one to take in some great paddling adventures, fishing and camping with our 2 awesome boys, to allow them to see how great kayaking can be. The the tough rugged design I know the Loon 160T is the best buy for their fishing trips today and their quest for some white water in the years that follow.

Mother Nature is calling your name, go out and buy an Old Towne Kayak today and become one with YOUR greatest outdoor adventure!

07-26-2013

I have had a Loon 160T for about 14 years. Since it is a tandem kayak, it is great for me to introduce friends and family to the wonderful sport of kayaking. An excellent feature is that the seats can slide along an internal rail, so if I am kayaking solo, I slide both seats all the way to the rear and sit in the front seat which is now in the middle of the kayak. Going solo, I can also carry extra gear for overnight trips.
An excellent kayak for the price!!

07-19-2013
Submitted by: Jim D.Send Email

Great boat for either solo or tandem paddling. I've had it for 8 years in all sorts of conditions camping to cruising & never feared of tipping. Recommend highly!!!

07-17-2013
Submitted by: Richard BeckerSend Email

This boat is nothing short of EXCELLENT! I have had it for 8 or 9 nine years, and have done just about everything you can do in a boat; camping, picnicing, white water, rivers, bays, Gulf of Mexico, Okeefenokee Swamp, you name it. It has plenty of room for two large adults, as well as food, drinks, camping equipment, even a dog.

I have owned and paddled several canoes and kayaks, and this is the best all-around boat I have ever seen! We even won the Blues Cruz Marathon race (in our class - K-2) on the Mississippi River in this boat.

08-08-2012
Submitted by: BstegSend Email

I bought this boat used and am very happy to have it. That said, I would not consider using this boat with a rudder as it is long and heavy, and does not turn well w/o it. I recently paddled it on a river trip 26 miles solo then two weeks later 23 miles with my 80lb niece. Both over-nighters, and I don't think I could ask for a more versatile boat. The ONLY downside is it's weight. I'm 34 and in pretty good shape, and it's all I can do to move this thing around on land. Loading it on an overhead rack alone is a serious undertaking and one which I feel I won't be capable of in a few years.

07-26-2012

I too can't sing enough praise over the 160T. It is a swiss army knife of kayaks and my Loon goes out more than any of my other four boats. You want to fitness paddle, fish, relax, haul gear or people, you can do it safe and dry with this boat. Ditto to all the other reviewer's glowing comments. They regularly pop up for sale on craigslist. You'll never regret buying one.

09-08-2010
Submitted by: PatrickSend Email

Hey everyone - I bought the 160T in 2001 when my second son was born and my oldest was 2. I wanted to get them on the water as soon as I could, and wanted a kayak that could take us all. Nine years later, my kids and I have some of the greatest memories of my life tied to this piece of plastic. I can't imagine a better combination of stability, tracking, speed and utility. We've taken it everywhere. On the Mississquoi Bay on Northern Lake Champlain, it tracks and maneuvers incredibly well in the windy choppy conditions, even with both kids. Plus it flies. I always thought I'd trade it in when the kids got there own kayaks, but it is such a great solo kayak I'll never get rid of it. Last ride out had my 11-year old in the middle seat, the dog riding in the bow, and my youngest getting a free tow in a rubber raft behind me as we scurried out on the lake to squeeze in a 1/2 hour fishing at last light. We flew threw the chop even with the tow. I've never been able to fill it with kids and equipment - plenty of room for camp stuff, room to move around. I once paddled across the bay in the early morning to fish, tied off on a bouy in the Wildlife Reserve, kicked the front seat forward, and slept for two hours completely stretched out. As far as weight goes, we have a Eurovan which is pretty tall. I put a set of Hully rollers on the racks, put a lifejacket on the edge of the roof, and have no problem loading/unloading.

11-19-2009
Submitted by: MoeSend Email

My girlfriend and I purchased a Loon 15T a couple of years ago. We're enjoying our kayak. I rigged it with a flush mount rod holder in the back and a scotty rod holder in the front. Tracks great and comfortable. Weight is not an issue at 73 pounds. I sometimes fish solo or both of us. Tough kayak. I recommend an Old Town big time!

11-18-2009
Submitted by: GordonSend Email

I've been on the water all my life (hold a 50 ton USCG master's license with sailing and commercial towing endorsements). Started out as a sailor, but also have several power boats and now a kayak. I have to admit to buying the Old Town Loon 160T used from a guy at work; he no longer needed it to take the kids out because they had graduated to their own yaks.

I can't believe all the things I have missed by not going "low and slow". We use it in the creeks around us in Oriental, NC; what a great place to paddle. We have used it a lot and we love it; wife sits in the front with the dog and I paddle her around like the princess she is. Been looking for a cockpit cover, and thanks to this site, found one at Get: Outdoors.com

08-30-2008
Submitted by: Larry SuttonSend Email

My wife and I have used one of these boats several times in the bast. It is heavy but I'll sacrifice ease of carrying for having a boat that lasts. At first we didn't like the boat much but after we realized that we were both trying to steer the boat it got a lot easier to use. I found that paddling it solo is easy as well. The one thing i can recommend is that you adjust the seats so that you are seated correctly in the boat because too far forward or too far back definitely affects the tracking. Overall I would recommend this boat and would have bought one for myself if I could have found an older one.

02-13-2008
Submitted by: aliSend Email

My wife and I bought this boat right after I got back from Iraq in 2005. I have 30 years experience kayaking and have been a kayak/canoe guide in the Adirondack Mountains in NY. This boat is by far the best kayak I have ever owned. It tracks well...handles like a dream in any conditions and has plenty of room for our gear, dog and each other..:) We have taken her out on the ocean the rivers and lakes of the Adirondacks and now living in Washington DC all up and down the Potomac. I would recommend this boat to anyone in a heart beat. Yes it does have some weight to it but I would rather have a heavy boat that will hold up to the demand I put on it than one that is too light and not worth the quality. Bravo Old Town.

06-27-2007
Submitted by: chadSend Email

We originally bought a 160T in 2000 and have loved it. I've had the boat out in the middle of Lake of the Ozarks with all the big powerboats and it takes the wave just fine. My wife and I are planning a trip down the Mississippi River so I bought another one. We wanted to be able to pack camping gear and still be comfortable, each of us in our own boat. The new boat is a 2007 and isn't near the quality. The seats are cheaper and the boat doesn't feel as still as the older boat.

All in all we love the boats and they are perfect for us larger paddlers, I'm 6-3 and 300 pounds. I will probably buy another one if I can find one, since they don't make them anymore.

04-23-2007
Submitted by: MCSend Email

Great all around boat for a solo run, a solo with a 50 pound lab in the front run, or a tandem run.

10-04-2006
Submitted by: Harp00nSend Email

I bought my high-visibility yellow 160T w/rudder,along with two quality light weight touring paddles, used at a great price. If I'd had to buy it new I would have in a heartbeat. It was exactly what I was looking for after considerable research.

As a 6'3" & 275 lbs. fisherman & photographer I needed, ahem, a LARGE volume vessel. I own hi-tech Mad River & Blue Hole canoes and have no problems carving turns in the 160T and neither should anyone with a little practiced technique. It tracks very easily, even in a chop. It's all about weight distribution and boat position, people Heavy? Hell yes! It's O.K. loading on the Yaks of my wife's Mazda Tribute solo. But on my Chevy Avalanche? Fahgetboutit! She loses it for large chunks of the year and drives OUR Jeep Wrangler. I love my wife. As the sign in the the bar with the greatest juke-box in the world, the legendary Green Parrot, sez; "No sniveling allowed!"

07-17-2006

OK, I canít take the negative reviews of this boats weight and tracking anymore without adding my opinion. Yes it weights 82 pounds. It is a moderately priced, wide, 16 foot plastic boat that is practically indestructible and impossible to tip. That means heavy. Stop whining. I have loaded this on a jeep CJ and Ford F-250 mostly by myself for three years without any problems. It is not light but if it is really that hard for you then please go hit the weights and or ask someone how to load a kayak. (older persons and the injured are excused.) You can certainly get a lighter boat. Just fork over $3,000 for a Kevlar tandem. This is a great family and or recreation boat. You can paddle it solo, with two, with two and dog or kid (or both). The room between the seats is especially helpful for fishing or other gear. You can buy a rudder, extra seats and accessories. It tracks fine if you have good technique. I have been caught out in storms and been in plenty of chop and strong crosswinds and come out fine. Tracks as well as my Necky Looksha? Of course not! Stability is great. I took it out first thing and TRIED to turn it over. It is really hard , it floods first. Summary- This boat will serve any family for years and years for a moderate price.

03-07-2006
Submitted by: Patrick StonekingSend Email

I purchased a 160T last year to paddle with my 2 year old son. Although I have several other canoes and kayaks, I didnít feel comfortable taking him out in a tandem canoe until he learns to sit still. This kayak was perfect for the purpose. Extremely stable, easily paddled without a rudder from the back seat, and, best of all, close to the water. I bought him a kids kayak paddle from Bending Branches and he loves to help paddle (and play in the water). Perfect.

The kayak is quite heavy but I expected Royalex to be. I drive a 4x4 Suburban but have no trouble getting the boat on the roof after 20 years of practice with other boats. However, if I needed to carry the boat long distances I would definitely get a cart. The boat is near indestructible and should serve me well basically forever.

I canít wait to take my younger son, who will be 2 years old in June, out for his first paddle! His (now) 3 year old brother wants to show him what itís all about.

09-26-2005
Submitted by: TomSend Email

I bought the green 160T after reading the reviews here. I'm 6'3 and 250 pounds. I was scared of getting a kayak because of what I thought would be room and stretching restrictions. I also wanted either of my two boys to be able to go out with me. I also wanted something to do some light fishing out of. I couldn't have made a better choice. Tracks great if you know how to paddle and make minor adjustments. Easily learned within an hour or so. I move the front seat back when going solo and I have more room than I know what to do with. Very stealthy, in fact my 7 year old and I snuck up on a small turtle and he caught it in his net, which had been a goal of his. He called it "Snappy" and then we released him. A great new memory out of our new kayak. I primarily keep it at my cabin but have bought a Yakima rack so that it can go elsewhere with me. I don't have a problem with dealing with it out of the water as some have had. My 13 year old on the other end makes the whole thing very easy. I love this boat.

06-28-2004
Submitted by: BC

I purchased my Loon 160T a few weeks ago from L.L. Bean and found it to be a great boat. It was pretty fast with two people paddling their hardest and it tracked ok, not what I expected though. My friend and I used the boat for fishing, which worked out great because of all of the gear that we had.

The weight of this boat was a big issue. My friend and i are both 5'10" and around 170lbs, and pretty strong, but still had a hard time getting the boat on top of my mom's camry. The akward weight distribution of the boat caused it to want to hang off the back end of the car, which during loading, caused me to nearly break my knee on the front bumper.

In addition, I wanted to have a boat that i could put onto the car myself and go kayaking by myself, if i wanted to. But the weight of this boat caused me to HAVE to take a someone else along, regardless if they were even going to be in the boat or not.

Another issue is the material this boat is made out of. Polylink 3 (c) is a very durable, but extremely heavy material. I scratched the bottom of the boat and though it is repairable, it takes away from the nice finish of the boat. The material is not flexible in the sense that it can't be stored in certain positions. I have to constantly keep the boat on its side in our hot garage, which even though recommended, has caused the material to droop, which has affected its tracking slightly.

When the boat arrived at my house it had tons of scrapes and scratches all over the place, mainly on the deck. And the boat's cockpit rim was deformed in several places. The black cockpit rim lining was falling off and the plastic end caps of the steel tubes that kept the sharp ends of the tubes covered, fell off. And when i tried to fix the tube holder on the left side behind the aft seat, which was slightly bent causing the end cap to fall off, i sliced my right thumb open!

Originally, i stored the boat upside down on two saw horses, with the ends supporting the weight. This was just for one night and the decks already became distorted.

All in all, i liked this boat, but it was too heavy, drooped under heat, and could not be used effectivley in rougher waters. So, i am purchasing a Lincoln Two Lites tandem, which is much lighter, tracks a heck of a lot better, faster, much more durable since it is made of kevlar, can be used in a variety of waters, including ocean, and is more flexible regarding storage positions.

Though I did scrutinize the Loon 160T somewhat, it served its purpose for what it was intended to do. For that I give it an 8.

06-08-2004
Submitted by: pnSend Email

We'd get a second one for our family of four without hesitation if they weren't so expensive. It is heavy and doesn't load well onto a minivan so we bought a used utility trailer and just toss it on... carries the paddles and jackets and we're ready to go in an instant. The trailer comes in handy for many things. Great boat!

06-07-2004
Submitted by: CraigSend Email

My wife and I purchased the Loon 160T recently after having rented one a few times and have almost only positives to report. While it may drift in strong current or wind, that is easily corrected with only minimal paddling adjustments (no rudder needed!). We have both been able to paddle it solo despite significant size difference (I'm 6'4", 230, she's 5'4", 120), although it is on the big side for her to handle alone on a longer trip. It has great space to carry gear, a cooler, or our dog (if she'll ever allow it). All in all, we are thilled with this purchase and are looking forward to many years of enjoyment from this great product.

03-26-2004
Submitted by: EDSSend Email

We've had our 160T for a year, our first yak purchase. We've had some incredible times in this boat - have had no trouble tracking, hubby sits in the back and uses the rudder. We sat in and wet-tested a lot of boats before getting this one and have never had a regret. The only drawback to this yak is the weight, but with hubby being a big guy, he can handle it ok on his own, and has soloed in it many times without assistance. We're moving to single kayaks this year, but will keep this one forever for tandem trips and guests, one of the best purchases we ever made.

12-18-2003

This is our first kayak; we are former canoeists. We were looking for a tandem kayak that could be paddled solo. Price was a major factor, as was capacity and handling both tandem and solo. We love this kayak. The capacity is 500 lbs, and my wife and I come close to 450. She can lay back while I paddle, and it really isn't much more effort than going solo. It is VERY stable especially when compared to a canoe. We got it in red, which looks really sharp!

I followed the recommendation of many paddlers and bought a set of decent paddles. Aquabond seacludes (not seaquels) at about $120 each. The narrower blade takes a lot less effort. I have paddled many hours solo, and really enjoy it. I noticed that I like the shorter shaft solo, longer shaft tandem. Go figure.

One drawback is the weight. After two trips, I made a makeshift cart to get it from the van to the water, often a considerable distance. I've also noticed the tracking quirks that some others have posted. This is most noticeable in wind or chop, especially when paddling slowly. I'm tempted to get a rudder. That is why I did not rate it 10.

So, I really love this boat. However, If you can afford two kayaks and are able to transport them, then I would suggest the Loon 138T.

08-15-2003

Upgraded from a Keowee 2, like going from an VW bug to a cadillac. Great boat track very well, no rudder here I am a purist :-) Just keep the heavier person in the back and it turns fine. Wife, grandson and dog on board no prob. I am the only paddler though :-( Those looking for single skirts, Rutabaga.com has them.

07-07-2003
Submitted by: dMacySend Email

My wife and I bought our 160T about 2 years ago with minimal experience in the sport. Money, as always, was a serious consideration.

Mainly we just use it to put around in the local lakes, bays, and streams. It's extremely comfortable and handles quite well, either together or solo. We've been on rather fast flowing streams and in windy open lakes and have had no problems with tracking that others have mentioned here. (Our combined weight is about 260 and we carry very little gear, so it's not like we're low in the water.)

We are, however, in the process of replacing the Loon with 2 single kayaks. The reason for the switch is weight. We're both fairly small and taking the 160 out by myself can be a little bit of a bear, but my wife simply can't handle loading and unloading the boat from the car. Overall it's been great fun, I'd have to say it was well worth the money and a very nice kayak to use.

Our Loon does not have the rudder.

05-13-2003

I had the chance to paddle the Loon T160 which a friend had purchased. I paddled solo without the rudder and was amazed how well it tracked on the river with cross winds and head winds. On the return trip I used the rudder and was once again amazed how well she responded. I tryed to wetroll the loon T160 and found the stabibility very good. For rec touring and in no more then 2' seas this is a good yak for solo use or tandem with the family. If I hadn't had a yak already I would purchase it. I may still purchase it for a family yak.

12-10-2002
Submitted by: frank hamptonSend Email

I bought my 16t for extensive cruises includind open water between keys in florida. I can carry alot of gear and can beach it and sleep inside it comfortable. I also fish extensively in it. It's not real fast,but i do 20+ miles a day very comfortable in it. I use it as a single most of the time and distribute the load. With 2 people aboard i put rear seat allthe way to the rear same with front seat inorder to keep bow high and don t have a problem with tracking. bow should not plow through water which really degrads tracking. I hasve a ford arostar van long wheel base. I fold down the rear seat pick up front of yak and place/drag into bacb. with bow high i slide yak into van up between front seats than i take a 4ft ladder and prop uo stern on ladder take to strong rubber tie down cords and strech between the rear door bolts on either side pull ladder out place in van. Then I slide a coleman cooler under keel for stablity and away I go little or no real effot required. Using common sense and watching the weather I ll take it anywhere along the coast. A great boat for my needs I dont sleep with the sand fleas.

10-07-2002

We've had our Old Town Loon 160T for over a month and I couldn't be much happier. I've used it mostly solo and I'm impressed with the tracking, stability and speed. I'm a big guy, 6ft 260 and I fit comfortably single or tandem. I use in in Newport Beach harbor in CA and have taken it out of the harbor to frolic in the swells and it sure is stable. The seats are the most comfortable kayak seats I've ever sat in. We've fished from it as well and it's great because it has so much room for gear. We plan to give the dogs a ride. It's a big boat so it's not too easy to load by myself, but I load and carry it on top of my Ford Taurus. So far, I can't think of any negatives to say about it. Having a great time.

08-20-2002

We spent a month researching canoes and kayaks for use at the Indian River inlet in Delaware. We wanted flexibility for 1-2 people (tandem), good straight line tracking, easy paddling, and stability but something that wouldn't be a slug in the water. I knew in the first 10 feet solo that the 160T was the right choice. We have had 1-2 and 3 people in the kayak and I observe easy paddling; resistance to the ocean winds; good stability; a great feeling of security; and the flexibility we wanted... sort of a high tech canoe with comfortable seats. The construction and hardware far superior to all of the other models we compared. There is plenty of room. Good tracking for the open water. I would want a through-hole so it could be chained securely and wish it was a little lighter for handling solo on the dock. Old Town is truly a superior brand and I am well pleased with the Loon.

08-12-2002

I was originally in the market for a canoe when I purchased the Old Town Loon 160T. My wife and I tried out several canoes at the Virginia Beach Paddlefest but my wife's primary complaint with each canoe was the feeling of instability. We were about to leave the Canoe & Kayak demo when she asked if we could try the Loon 160T. We were instantly impressed with the stability of this kayak and bought it on the spot. We have enjoyed this kayak immensely for the past year using it primarily in the Currituck Sound in North Carolina. This kayak is great with two people paddling, but rather hard to make turns when solo. This one quirk could probably be resolved with the addition of a rudder. I would highly recommend this kayak to anyone starting out in the sport, the price is definately right. After a year of going tandem, we finally purchased two Wilderness systems "Pungo" kayaks, which are faster and lighter to transport when going solo.

05-14-2002
Submitted by: Vern PorterSend Email

After much searching the guys at REI talked us into a Loon 160T. We just went out on Lake Tahoe for the first time in a Kayak. Thanks REI, thanks Loon160T we had a great time. The Kayak was stable, it seemed fast to us novices, and easy to paddle. Looking forward to many years of fun!

05-01-2002
Submitted by: PaulSend Email

I have had a Loon 16 for three years now, use on a lake, have found it a good tandom for guests and a fair single for me. If you have windy conditions just slide the seat forward of center, back for calmer water when solo. Good light touring paddle is a key to any touring kayak, heavy cheap paddles don't make for a good paddle regardless of the boat.

04-22-2002
Submitted by: Robert FSend Email

I have taken my boat out for about twelve hours on the water, over the last two weeks, and I am very pleased. Like other people, I bought it because I wanted to take people out on the water with me. At first I used it on a placid strech of flatwater, and I was extreamly happy with it. Later I found that it didn't track well in the two foot swells that I was playing in, but while playing in one of my shorter Old Town "Otters" I realized that my friend and I were nearly equal in weight, and that where we had the seats set, the center of mass was too far forward, so today I moved the forward seat back 18", and it tracked and turned nicely in the choppy swells. I think I will buy the rudder to help alleviate the need for me to compromise my leg room so much. All in all I love it.

03-07-2002
Submitted by: JimSend Email

Some of you say, "the 160-T won't go where you want it to go." I say, learn to paddle or get a rudder." The 160-T I have "tracks" very well and the rudder comes in handy when you have "cross winds." Most of the time I am on Lake Wylie in South Carolina with speed boats,etc. The waves can be high at times coming from these types of boats but, if you head into them correctly, the 160-T handles them nicely. I love this boat. As far as the weight of the boat, I am 62 with a triple by-pass and with a "Yakima rack," "Holly Rollers," "Mako saddles," "Thule Outrigger" and a "Cabela's Canoe Carrier" I can put the 160-T on the rack and take it off by my self with on problem.

09-14-2001

As an update to my reviews from last year, I have sold my 160T and purchased two singles. The weight of putting it on my Expedition was too much, even with some rollers, etc. Now I can go out anytime I want in a flash, and not break my back. If you understand what you are getting in terms of weight, this is a great tandem kayak (with a rudder, despite what others have said). If you have a bad or weak back, spend more money and get something lighter.

09-13-2001

My wife and I purchased a Loon 160T about 2 weeks ago. This was our first kayak. We did a lot of research and test drove a lot of tandems. The Loon was the roomiest (I'm 6'4"), the most stable (We had it out on Lake Ontario in 2' swells and tracks great with the rudder. We love it! The only thing it lacks is a drain plug. It is heavy at 84lbs with the rudder kit, but we manage. Also the rotomolded polyethylene looks much richer than other plastic boats.

08-23-2001
Submitted by: Rick FSend Email

I purchased a 160 in May of 2001. I also own a Necky Zora Sport and a Perception Dancer to cover the touring and whitewater urges. I wanted to be able to get my kids and dog on the water, something you canít do in a solo boat. The boat is heavy and is not easily car-topped without two people. It does not track like a ruddered sea kayak, nor does it carve like the Dancer. If one purchases the boat for those purposes they will not be happy, neither are their expectations realistic. I purchased the boat for flat water trips and fishing with my kids and dog. If that is your goal, there is probably not a better boat; certainly not for the price.

08-22-2001
Submitted by: MiWoodguySend Email

We just bought a Loon 160T and took it for its maiden voyage. I had read the reviews about "difficulty in tracking". This boat was VERY easy to track. I have 40 years of paddling experience in canoes but today was my first kayak adventure. The boat performed well and can be cartopped rather easily with a little ingenuity. Too many people are too quick to blame the boat for their own shortcomings and lack of creativity in problem solving. I love the boat. Paddled 2 hours with little exertion. Old Town has done a fine job of designing. You want more features, spend more money. For my $449, this is a good value.

07-03-2001
Submitted by: SFMSend Email

For pure recreation and day tours I really like the 160T. For any sort of performance you can do much better. The rudder pedal system is marginal - pretty sticky. The new models have solved this though. I usually take out the front seat, go with my Labrador, fly fish or watch wildlife on Texas lakes or slow moving rivers. Rudder is a must. It is very durable, slow but fun. It is heavy for a 16 foot boat. Pretty tough to car top alone which is my case until I can teach my dog to help me...not likely. Very affordable at $650.

07-03-2001
Submitted by: drip ringSend Email

I'm sorry, but I couldn't take it an longer. I'm tired of people blaming boats for poor paddling technique. The 160-T tracks perfectly well solo. Learn to paddle correctly and you will go in a straight line. Amazing! As with any tandem, tracking proves more difficult with two people paddling. However, that is not the fault of this or any other boat. It's the nature of tandem paddling. Fall into synch and you can track it. The EASY option (popular with most people) is to get a rudder to correct poor paddling. I've had this boat in the full-realm of it's intended use conditions. It actually LIKES chop, waves and wakes. The length and width allow you to flatten them out so that you barely notice them (unless you are allowing them to hit you broadside but that is a whole other issue of lack of knowledge). I apologize if I have come across rudely, but to bash a boat because of a lack of experience or ignorance of what to expect jerks my chain. Is this boat perfect? No way. No boat is. Each is a compromise in it's own way. Is it a well-performing boat for it's intended purpose? Yes. Compare it to boats with similar design and intended use when making an evaluation.

06-26-2001

I thought this kayak would work well as a solo based on some of the reviews. They were wrong. I really hated this boat. When out on a lake with a little wind and wave, it literally spun around and kept turning 90*. (I do not have a rudder.) It was a struggle every time a small wave hit the boat and would not remain straight. My husband and son also tried it as a solo. They are more experienced than I am but also had a lot of trouble with the tracking. It did handle better when they both rode tandem and paddled. It is now for sale and I'm looking for another brand of kayak.

06-18-2001

Love this Boat! Wife and I picked up our Loon last month and we are having a great time. We got the rudder and it was a wise investment for open water. I've had her out in boats before but since we got the Loon, all she wants to do is be out on the water. The Loon is stable, comfortable, easy to paddle and just plain fun. We are 50+ and we enjoy this boat, it's a little heavy to carry so a set of those portage wheels will be our next purchase. For our use, it's a perfect 10.

05-22-2001
Submitted by: no name

Just got a 160T about a month ago. It has been used both single and double. The length to width ratio makes for a very stable kayak that is easy to paddle. It turns slowly without using special paddling and leaning technique which makes it well suited for lakes and mild rivers. It can easily be maneuvered with proper paddling technique and by leaning the kayak(opposite the direction you want to go). This kayak has plenty of room for day trips(cameras, snacks and cooler). The best part is that either paddler can attach their paddle to the kayak using the built-in paddle holder and relax while the other paddler propels the kayak. One paddler can easily paddle this kayak while the second person just relaxes and enjoys the scenery. When two people paddle this boat, it really goes good.

05-04-2001

The loon 160T is a great boat for its intended use. It's really a flat water boat that's really good for wilderness viewing, light camping and day trips. It's a rugged boat but quite heavy. Feels spacious in the cockpit and it's very stable initially. I tried very hard one day to flip it and couldn't without getting out off my seat. I paddle it solo with a canoe paddle. it's slow but comfortable. It tracks pretty poorly with two paddlers. It's pretty cost effective too. A great boat for the price.

02-05-2001
Submitted by: AleSend Email

We live in Las Vegas, and I'm sure people will say where do you go kayaking there? We have Lake Mead and the Colorado River to play on. We have had had our Loon 160T for a little over a year. We go out just about every week and we love it. We have had it out on Lake Mojave in 35mph winds and 4' waves. (we were the only boat on the lake)it is very stable. We spend 8 to 10 hours on the water, and it is extremely comfortable to do so because of the seats. We bought it with the rudder and it does help when they are letting alot of water out of the damn and the current is strong. We have only been paddling for a year and a half, but I find it pretty easy to maneuver. The big cockpit is great for taking a boom box and cooler to enjoy the day. We had a Wilderness Systems Tandem before this, and there is no comparison to the 160T. We kept the skirt from the Wilderness, and added 7" to it at an upholstery shop and it works great! It keeps us dry and warm in 45 degree temps and 20 mph winds. We have a powerglide trolling motor with two golf cart batteries that allows us to run for 7 hours if we need to. It helps when you are fighting against a 9mph current. It allows us to take trips here that you normally wouldn't be able to in a kayak. If you are looking for a kayak that is stable, roomy, versatile, and comfortable your money is well spent.

01-17-2001

I got my T-160 last fall and used it at every possible opportunity. I love it! I got an open cockpit so that I could take my labrador with me. She loves it too! With two people in it, the tracking DOES get a tad difficult, but I'm planning on purchasing the rudder kit this year to alleviate that (I hope!) It is also extremely heavy. Otherwise, an excellent fun-time boat, which I've had on class I rivers, lakes, and even the Gulf of Mexico at sunrise! Simply beautiful! This is not a boat for serious sea-kayaking though -- be safe! A weekend camping trip or a day on the water with family, dogs, and friends is this boat's calling.

12-13-2000

I bought 6 Loon T-160s for our school biology program where we often take students from the 7th to 12th grades in the Mobile Delta, protected locales in Mississippi Sound, and in several small to medium size rivers. As far as tracking goes, it is one of the worst boats I have ever encountered when paddled tandem. Solo, it is not bad since you can raise the bow. The problem when paddled tandem is that the bow starts carving turns. You have to watch it very closely. Once the bow starts veering off course, it gets progressively harder to correct. Despite the tracking fault, it has still been a useful boat. However, in the future I may opt for more Old Town Discovery 164s (we have two), powered by kayak paddles. As a student boat that can do anything from carrying tons of sampling gear to wilderness camping in the Everglades, you can't beat the Discovery (as a student boat, not my personal preference). With kayak paddles my students in the canoes can easily keep up with the Loon T-160s, and they are not fighting the tracking problem.

12-05-2000
Submitted by: CraigSend Email

Having spent most of my life on the water in sail boats and now living in North Central Florida I knew I need something to get me access to the multitude of springs and rivers in the immediate area. I bought my Loon 3 years ago and it has taken me hundreds of miles and to places I could only imagine! The key for me was to find a way to get the boat to and in the river then back on the car without hurting me, the boat or the car. It took some resourceful thinking. I came up with a pulley system in my carport that will hoist the boat up off and then either drop it on top of the car again or into the back of the car when I go alone. The key is to devise a system to make it easy and that so nothing gets damaged! The easier it is the more you'll get out! I'm out several times a week now! I love my Loon!

10-02-2000

My yak was purchase in July, my four yr. old son & I have a ball in it! So far I've had over 400lbs. in it,still floats great. Heavy out of the water, but in the water tracks great, easy to fish out of. The Old Town construction is A-1. This purchase was $599. Tandem paddling really requires teamwork, but is really fun when your paddling technique falls in place with your partner!

09-20-2000
Submitted by: Mike

Great boat! We have had a great time this summer in it. Nice stable platform and very spacious for fishing. Slide the front seat back towards the center and it tracks fine for solo paddling. I'll get a rudder kit for it this winter and use it in the spring. I have used rudders before and have found them to be very advantageous when drifting in a current and fishing. You can keep the bow pointed where you want it and concentrate on your casting. 10 of 10. Buy one. I reccomend granite color, it hides the scratches better.

08-16-2000

I just got my Loon T-160 a couple of weeks ago, and have already had the opportunity to use it twice. I did not buy the rudder with it, and have found that the kayak tracks very poorly with two people both paddling at the same time. I can get it to track with the stern person paddling, but not with the bow person paddling. I am going to get a rudder, and see if that helps with tandem paddling. Otherwise, I love it. I had an Old Town Penobscot 17 canoe before this, and find the kayak much easier to paddle for a longer period of time. If the rudder corrects the tracking deficiency, I will have to give the kayak a 10 out of 10 rating.

UPDATE As a follow up to my post of last week, I purchased a rudder kit for my Loon 160T from Old Town. The instructions were a little vague, but I got the job accomplished. The results were everything I expected. My son and I were able to paddle without any frustation, and the experience was highly enjoyable. I then took my 77 year old father out in it, and we had a great time. The only gripe I have with the boat is that I am sporting a sore back from the weight of lifting it onto my truck, but I knew before I bought it that it was not a lightweight. I am really happy with the kayak now.

07-10-2000
Submitted by: JD NanceSend Email

This is my first tandem & my first flat water boat. I LOVE IT! My primary passenger is only 4 yrs old, so I considered the Twin Otter & 138T. I bought this one as a blem for about the same price as the 138T & Im glad I did! We went camping last week & had no problems fitting 3 days worth of gear & supplies in with us. I had paddled all 3 Old Town boats - the Twin Otter did fine with just me in the boat, but tracking was horrendous with two adults. The 138T would have worked, & if price is your primary consideration you can probably save about 100$ if you go with it - stability (my primary concern) was just about identical between the two. This boat is NOT good for river running (of just about any kind) or for serious sea kayakking, ie waves over the head type stuff. I didnt get the rudder, but I could see where it would come in handy on the ocean. On the lakes, even in fairly rough chop, it still tracks straight with no problems. The only real drawback is the weight - 74 pounds is not lite after 5 straight hours paddling! But for a boat as durable & stable as this it's a fair trade off.

05-31-2000

Many years ago, my wife and I used to love kayaking at a friend's summer cottage in our Folbot 18 footer (now long gone). So last year, we decided to turn back the clock (in a manner of speaking) and bought an Old Town Loon 160T tandum kayak ... and we love it. It's well made, comfortable, very stable and tracks like a well-designed 16 footer should. We store and transport it on a light-weight canoe/kayak trailer (put out in "kit form") by Hart Designs of Excelsior, MN (see www.portagepal.com). Our Loon 160T was purchased with the optional rudder installed, but I've increased the surface area of the rudder about three-fold, using 1/8" aluminum sheet stock, and now it really responds quickly and nicely! I've also fabricated a removable side motor mount out of robust aluminum stock, and we can now cruise along at a nice clip with assistance from our Minnkota electric trolling motor when we're feeling lazy. The motor also helps a lot when paddling into a strong head-wind, especially after an active day on the water. We carry a Delco deep-discharge marine battery onboard for powering the motor, and can run at varying speeds for roughly two hours or better on a single charge. I also added two wide plastic wheels (built on an aluminum "U" frame) at the rear underside of the kayak (in place of the removable plastic skid), to make "wheeling" the kayak to and from the trailer a breeze. When you're our age, you have to think about these things! All in all, we're delighted to be back on the water after a number of years of land-lubbering, and the Loon 160T was our passport.

03-05-2000
Submitted by: TopherSend Email

The Old Town 160T is my first Kayak. We have a vacation home near Donner Lake and Lake Tahoe, so we were looking for a way to explore the Lakes with our 3 children. Stability, durability, and ease of use were our decision-making criteria. My wife is NOT a big outdoors person and she LOVES our 160T. It is extremely stable, very roomy, fast enough for our needs, and not too heavy. It is very durable, and I have no problem beaching it right up onto shore, but you should be careful to follow Old Towns recommendations as to how you store it (just like any polyethene canoe).

I take out my 8 & 12 year olds and 40 lb. English Bull Terrier, all at the same time! My wife and I have gone out into the middle of Donner and had an on-board picnic lunch. We don't like this kayak, we LOVE it, in fact, we're buying another one so our whole family can go out together (3 kids, 2 adults, 1 dog, and still room to spare. I don't believe this would be a good kayak for faster rivers or ocean bays though.

11-20-1999
Submitted by: MarySend Email

My husband talked me into the tandem. I wanted two singles. We've had it out about six times in three weeks and we love it. It tracks better on the "glass" water of the rivers than on the choppy bay, but part of it may be our inexperience. It also rides MUCH faster with bigger person in the back (We didn't know)! It is stable and has lots of room for whatever. We have the optional rudder which is great with 2 people in it. With only one person, you could get by without the rudder. I'd give it a 10.....but I still want a single also! We are car topping it now, but have a new van on order and are considering a trailer for hauling it. It IS heavy, and with the extra height of the van, may be difficult to throw up there (for me, anyway).

10-11-1999
Submitted by: Tom FroeseSend Email

My wife and I purchased our loon this spring and we love to take our two year old son out in it. The boat is incredibly stable which makes it a wonderful choice for a family. I find that I need the rudder when I'm not paddling solo. This kayak is not particularly fast but it makes up for it in comfort and stability. I would also like to have a solo skirt as the large cockpit allows the boat to get swamped in a decent chop. I would reccomend this boat to anyone who is going to be paddling with a partner most of the time and doesn't want to spend a fortune.

09-27-1999
Submitted by: Tom C.

First tandem. Will not be last tandem. Very stable. Friggin' heavy!!! Dog loves it. I can pull my lab easily into the boat when I'm in forward seat. Bullet proof. Would not use in class 2. Perfect for flat water and class 1.

09-01-1999
Submitted by: CWSend Email

This is one fine boat. The quality of construction and materials are twice what I saw in boats of equal use.The boat handles like a dream solo or full. I love it.

08-24-1999
Submitted by: EricSend Email

This is my (our) first kayak, and so far I (we :) love it! I, too, looked for a solo skirt and couldn't find one. But... our Loon has the optional rudder, and if the rear seat is slid forward for solo use, the rudder becomes unusable (the foot pedals won't adjust far enough forward). So, I usually leave the rear seat towards the back - even for solo paddling.

06-15-1999

The Loon 160T is the first touring kayak we have owned, and more than likely the last. This kayak is comfortable, very stable, it tracks effortlessly, (even in very windy conditions) and to top it all off the cost is very affordable. I highly recommend it to anyone, experianced or not, seeking a touring double, it lives up to the Old Town Name for sure..!!

04-12-1999
Submitted by: ChrisSend Email

A great tandem open cockpit design, which allows ample room for two adults, or solo with enough gear to camp several days on the sand bars of your favorite river. Tracks fairly well and seems very stable. Seats are very comfortable with nice lower back support. The only gripe that I have is the problems that I have had tracking down a skirt designed for solo use (with sliding rear seat centered in the boat). Most tend to be the tandem skirts.