Product Reviews > Accessories > Malone Micro Sport Trailer Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Malone Micro Sport Trailer

Rated: 9.88/10 Based On: 8 Reviews

Research Roof Racks and Trailers in the Buyers' Guide!
Roof Racks and Trailers
View Roof Racks and Trailers in Buyers' Guide

02-20-2014

After having taken the trailer from Tucson to Yuma (4 hours freeway) a couple times, I have a few additional comments to add to my previous review [2014-01-31].

First trip was to Yuma via I-8, then along a rough road followed by a sand and grass path between the Indian reservation and Colorado River. Once at the put-in, I had to unhook the trailer, push it up a grassy slope and park it until I could turn the jeep around and reattach the trailer. No problem. Unloaded as it was, it moved easily.

Last weekend, I repeated the basic trip but from Yuma it was 18 miles of poorly graded road to the Picacho Campground. The trailer towed so well on both trips I had to stop and check to be certain that it was still there. On the way home, we stopped to help a stranded motorist but the rough dirt road was too narrow to turn so again, I unhooked the loaded trailer (2 kayaks, camping and boating gear), pulled it over the washboard, turned the jeep around and reattached the trailer. No problems and I am NOT a young man anymore. With a high vehicle like the Jeep or Forerunner, the boats were below the rear window which made backing up tricky. Good thing I put a flag on my kayak stern.

It seems that the version I bought had all the features people desired as standard. This includes running lights, easy-to-mount tail-lights and handle-on-the-tongue. I don't know if Malone read the reviews and fixed the complaints or what, but I got a bunch of freebees that earlier buyers had to pay for.

I DID make a few changes that Malone may wish to address.

1. I drilled a hole in the tongue near the front and installed an eye-bolt for a bow tie-down straps. I strongly suggest this as I had a woman fail to tie my kayak down properly and it slid out of the straps. A bow tie-down would have saved my boat.
  2. the rails are still too flimsy. Either replace them with stronger rails or slide a piece of #5 rebar inside for strength. The rebar option is cheaper.
  3. I drilled holes at the ends of each rail and ran an eye-bolt for my tie-down straps. ONLY at the end, never in the middle. That way I can hook the strap to the end-bolt, over the boat, around the rail, back over the bolt and to that eye-bolt again. Makes tieing down the boats easier and safer.
  4. Never enough tie-down points. Yes, there are holes all around the frame but... I ran a bunch of eye-bolts through these holes and now have plenty of tie-down points.
  5. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a sheet of deck-mat. this is corrugated rubber that people glue to steel stairs. I added it to the tongue in case I had to stand on the tongue to reach the top of the jeep.
  6. Wire hose. I distrust bare wires clipped to the trailer. The insulation ages or rabbits nibble at them and you have shorts. I ran my wires through an old garden hose to protect them.
I made others but those were personal and the Microsport accepts mods easily. I added a large box above the axle with added angle-steel to hold it in place for my gear. Then a wood deck over the frame where I put a couple B2 bags with extra gear. Added a few ammo-boxes to the frame to hold tie-down straps, the usual. Even with all that extra weight, the trailer performed wonderfully!

The standard rails easily held my wing-saddles and a J-rack between (3 boats) so I never saw the need to get the extended rails for a 4th boat. I have seen people with a Malone hauling 4 J-racks with no problems.

I DO suggest getting the spare tire option. Last weekend I saw a number of trailers with missing tire and expensive boat along a deserted road. The victim of a flat where the owner had to leave his boat & trailer on the road while he drove into town to get the flat fixed. Anyone with a spare could easily upgrade to a free boat. So pay for the spare tire!

Unless you are handy, like me, and have a box laying around, I would suggest that you buy the storage box option! At the least, you can put your PFD, painter, leash and other boat gear in the box and clear out the trunk and back-seat of the car. ALSO, I found tossing my wet gear and clothes into the box to be preferable to driving across the desert with my water-shoes and paddle clothes stinking up the car.

For the price ($1169 free shipping) you cannot get anything better. In April, I will be doing a talk on Modifying your kayak at a kayak event and am considering showing off my Microsport. It's well worth the money.

01-31-2014

I decided to purchase a kayak trailer after someone at the lake smashed my home-made trailer. I chose the Malone Microsport because
a) a fellow paddler had one and i liked the looks
b) it was affordable when compared to what you get: highway tires and bearings. Decent load. Modifiable frame.

I ordered the trailer on Saturday, 11 January and the order was sent to the manufacturer on Monday, 13 January. I had a trip planned for the 24th so was a bit worried. More so when I called Malone and they said it would go out FedEx. The tracking numbers on the FedEx site never changed, always saying "in route, delivered 20 Jan by noon" King Day, a holiday. It actually arrived at 11:53 am on king Day. So I called my daughter and we spent the day putting it together.

PRAISE #1: The instruction book was EXCELLENT!
COMPLAINT #1: the parts were scattered across 5 boxes.

Praise #2: it went together easily!
Complaint #2: for a trailer made in the US, all the nuts-&-bolts were in metric!

Our only problem was when we started to modify it as we assembled. I hate bare wires so we ran an old garden hose and ran the lighting wires through that hose. I wanted a gear box but could not afford the box-kit so made a frame for a box I had. I mounted ammo boxes for my tie-down straps and the zinc-coating dulled a few bits.

I finished the trailer and most of the mods by 4pm Friday. Odile and Maria arrives at 5pm and without even testing the lights, we took off across the desert.

COMPLAINT #3: the load bars are thin aluminum.
Solution: shove a piece of #5 rebar inside for strength.

Eventually I had two saddles on the ends with a J-rack between and a wood deck between the tongue and box. When loading camping gear in my B-2 Bags, i was glad for the added deck.

Ok, here is the good stuff!
It tows like a dream! Yes the tongue is a bit long for a 14' kayak but that can be fixed when I decide how much to cut off. Still, freeway, in town, dirt road, sand, nothing phased that trailer. 4 1/4 hours to Yuma. Another half hour to the lake and back and the trailer still looks and acts wonderful!

For their base-model, the Microsport is so good, why buy a better trailer.

02-05-2013
Submitted by: jacSend Email

I have a Malone micro and love it. We have hauled 4 kayaks from NC to New Hampshire and from the Middle of NC to the ocean with no problems. We did have some problem with the hitch but with some adjustment it is working fine. I am about to get the bike racks to replace 2 of the kayak saddles. Highly recommended.

12-26-2012
Submitted by: Terry GrahamSend Email

Bought this trailer last summer. I transport a 17' Current Designs Storm and a 17' Seaward Tyee and it works great. Have had full trailer on the Trans Canada at 70 mph and the kayaks are very secure. I keep the kayaks loaded on the trailer in my garage and can be on the road in 5 minutes. It's much easier than loading the kayaks on and off my vehicle each time I use them. Saves a lot of time and gives me no excuse not to go out kayaking.

In my case I bought the optional spare tire and storage box which in my opinion was well worth it. The storage box can be locked and holds all the necessary gear. It makes transporting the boats so much easier, especially as we get older.

03-26-2012
Submitted by: John ClaphamSend Email

I bought this trailer, it is a nice trailer, it holds four touring kayaks nicely. I would have given the trailer at 10 except I was missing a part, I have to contact them to see if they will send it to me. Also the cross bars are a little flimsy for my taste. I would hope that they would be a little more sturdy.

Overall, the trailer is good, however, it does take a while to put together.... It took me an entire week of working at night after work. I agree with the criticism about the wiring, I too had to splice to make it reach. I did buy the optional box, that sits inside. It is a good custom fit, however, I am not sure how it attaches to the trailer. I am using a strap for now. The one nice thing about this trailer is is that is primarily constructed of galvanized steel which hopefully will make it last a long time.

09-25-2011

I love this trailer, especially its removable tongue option, which allows me to store the trailer standing up against the wall in my garage, taking up less than 2' x 6' of floor space. And the optional cargo container accessory provides a place for all the paddling gear (well, except for the paddles), saving space in my SUV. And no more loading boats onto the roof of the SUV, either. With kayak saddles, the basic trailer handles two boats quite capably. And with a pair of stackers, I can get four boats on their edges onto the basic trailer. I am completely satisfied with my Malone Micro Sport trailer, and heartily recommend it.

07-29-2011

I give the Malone Sport Trailer a complete thumbs up! Absolutely anyone can assemble this trailer. Everything was included right down to the last nut and washer. The directions were amazingly thorough and easy to understand and were even in print large enough for 56 year old eyes to read without reading glasses.

All parts fit together as they should, I didn't have to force anything. The trailer tracks perfectly straight and does not bounce loaded or unloaded. The handle is now included in the basic package. The only thing I can say that is less than complimentary is that I had to splice in a piece of wire to make the ground wire long enough and the tail light wiring connections were a bit of a problem until I figured out that I could take the red lens off to gain access to the connectors.
I highly recommend this product.

11-03-2010

Bought this trailer with 4 Malone J-Style Autoloaders this summer. We transport 3 Pungo 120s and a Jackson Daytripper 120 and it works great(bigger boats would be no problem either). The trailer is easy to put together, has great instructions with lots of pictures, and if you need help of any kind, when you call the 800 Service number, you talk to a real person and usually one with the last name of Malone. I like that. Have had full trailer on the interstate at 65 mph and the kayaks are rock steady (I tie them off with a bow line in the front). Make sure and buy the optional Trailer Lift Handle for $9.99...you can tie the bow lines to it and it makes moving it around easy. I keep the yaks loaded on the trailer in my garage and can be on the road in 5 minutes. Just tighten the straps, hitch it to my vehicle and I'm off to our favorite river or lake. It's much better than putting on and off the top of my vehicle each time and then hoisting to the top of the garage ceiling for storage after each use. I wouldn't use the yaks nearly as much as I do now if I was still doing it that way. If you like to be ready to go on a moments notice, buy this setup and you'll be amazed at how much more you will use your yaks. And as you get older...you'll appreciate it even more.

Suspenz: