Product Reviews > Accessories > Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Research Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Paddles
View Paddles in Buyers' Guide

08-28-2014
Submitted by: angeloSend Email

Upgrading from a cheap paddle to the Magic Plus was a definite "plus". It's light weight, floats, the red color of my matches my Heron 9 Angler camo perfectly. The blades are well made and I've been using the paddle for 6 months so far and no wear, no cracks, dents etc....great paddle to own

07-30-2014

When I bought my Old Town Vapor my buddy was with me and advised me to not be cheap and pick up the Magic Plus 230 cm and he was not wrong. Everyone that I kayak with that owns a cheaper paddle complains about being sore after a long trip, but the Magic Plus leaves me no complaining.

It is lightweight, adjustable and an ease to use for hours on end. The only drawback that was mentioned to me by my neighbor is that it is a bit thicker than a standard paddle and it didn't fit his hand quite right.

05-09-2014
Submitted by: CJSend Email

First of all I am a 125-130 lbs, Disabled O.I.F. Veteran, specifically with a right shoulder injury from shrapnel. When I first started Kayaking in 2005 I always borrowed my brothers kayaks and gear. He is much more of a occasional kayaker then I am. So only has 10 & 12' rec kayaks with 230cm Aluminum shaft paddles with small blades. Then a couple years ago I bought my first Kayak (a 10' rec kayak) with a similar paddle. And because I'm stubborn, independent girl and my Mother and Brother said I couldn't. I made my first trip a 15 mile solo trip down the Flat River near where I live in Michigan. By the end of the trip no amount of my pain killer could ease the suffering that my cheap Aluminum paddle caused me.

So the very next day I bought a Carlisle Magic 220cm paddle. And it was night and day. The rest of my first year I was going on 20 plus mile solo trips with much less effort and pain because of the lighter weight and semi flexible shaft of the Carlisle Magic. This year as soon as we hit some 50 degree days I had my kayak back in the water. But because the lack of availability of someone to drop off my car down river I found myself Paddling up river several miles in flooded fast moving rivers for several miles and running them back down in a quarter of the time it took me to paddle up them… and of course once again the extreme pain was back.

So I recently bought a Carlisle Magic Plus and found it to be just a little bit lighter but much more flexible then my Carlisle Magic. Once again Carlisles products has helped me accomplish more then my family ever expected me too and has made it so much easier on my shoulder. As a disabled veteran and a female… I'm told I can't do a good many of things but with the Carlisle Magic Plus it's helped me prove them wrong. I can't say enough good things about their products. And in the next month I am purchasing a Liquidlogic Stinger XP and plan on running it through everything from fast paced rivers, the great lakes and white water as well. And even though the white water may require me to get a new paddle that is more suited for it…. for everything else I will stick with my trusted, tried and true Carlisle Magic and Magic Plus Paddles. You can't get a better paddle for such an affordable price.

10-26-2012

I have a 220cm Magic Plus. It has one of the best blade shapes and the worst ferrule. The shaft cannot handle the power generated by the blades and slowly works loose at the joint. It only took 3 trips on less than 3 miles each for this to develop

09-06-2011
Submitted by: DanielSend Email

I'll start out by saying that this is a nice paddle for the price. It is light weight compared to aluminum paddles and still feels sturdy. The blade design is curved which seems to help paddle faster on flat water, but I think a straight blade would be better in whitewater.

The paddle is a two piece and gives the option of rotating 45 degrees forward or back. This is somewhat limiting compared to higher in paddles that allow you to feather the blade at any angle you wish. There is also a little bit of play where the ends meet (paddle rotates a little bit when locked in) since the connection is not locked in super tight. This hasn't been an issue in real world use though.

All things considered, this is a nice paddle for the price. It is a great option for your average rec paddler and should last for years. There are better paddles out there with tighter tolerances and fancier designs but you will have to pay a considerable amount for it.

08-20-2010
Submitted by: ABSend Email

I've used this paddle for 4 years now, probably 150 hrs of paddling; all flat water. I've only owned one other paddle, a Carlisle aluminum shaft. I'm a vigorous paddler, and there's never been a problem. It has a wrapped fiberglass shaft with glass-filled polyprop. blades. Carlisle's website says this is lighter than their Day Tripper but I have both and this feels slightly heavier. I think it's stronger than the aluminum D/T, and the fiberglass shaft flexes, giving a stronger stroke. I also like the color (red/yellow blades). For the money (I think I paid $60 as it was a leftover) it's a great product, so I recommend this paddle. Put some Yakgrips on it, and your hands will thank you.