Product Reviews > Kayaks > Red Star Marine > Pathfinder 1 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pathfinder 1 Kayak by Red Star Marine

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

07-21-2010

I have just read my dad's review about the Pathfinder Inflatable Kayak. I also use a rigid Kayak, and this is my review about what I like and dislike about the Pathfinder as a 15 year old girl:

I find the kayak very comfortable and easy to paddle, going against the wind can be hard work but no more than any other IK.
It has a reasonable net bag that can be clipped behind the seat and a reasonable space behind that for a picnic etc. My granddad who is over 6ft can use it comfortably and we are happy to allow our dog (a whippet) into the kayak. I prefer using the inflatable kayak in the canal because it is easier than a rigid to lift out of the water and portage around the locks, getting in and out of the inflatable kayak is a lot easier. The inflatable has foot rests which makes it alot easier to paddle as you are not using your back as much and it also has thigh straps which make it is easier to lift it out of the water. Drying it can be a bit of a pain, but then I couldn't lift a rigid kayak on a roofrack by myself.

Overall the Pathfinder is the most versatile option as a recreational Kayak, though a IK will never be as resilient to damage as a rigid. Just be a little more careful.

07-20-2010
Submitted by: Mark BraySend Email

We bought a couple of these Inflatable Kayak shortly after selling on a Sevylor Colorado. The ones we own are the Single seaters. The backs of the seats are high, supportive and comfortable, and the kayak pack up quite easily and dry as they can be towel dried. This was a big consideration for us as they would be used for the occasional day out and a paddle in the evening.

The material it is made out of is a fabric sandwiched between two PVC layers, and in terms of robustness it is certainly a step up from beach toys. It has a slightly finer water entry than the Sevylor, two removable skegs, thigh straps and a convenient net storage bag. It is white meaning that it is not as prone to pressure differences due to the heat of the midday sun as darker kayaks.

Quite honestly, there are more robust Inflatable Kayaks out there, there are cheaper kayaks out there (not many), but the more we use these kayaks, the greater confidence we have in them. All inflatables don't track as well as rigids, and this is no exception but it is adequate.