Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Rogue River 154 SS Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Rogue River 154 SS Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 7.83/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Rogue River 154 SS Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Length: 15' 4" - Width: 44.0" - Starting at: $749.99
See More Details about this Canoe
Old Town Canoe Logo

06-20-2014
Submitted by: RaySend Email

Kinda cheap... I was looking for a "transom" canoe for (motorized) fishing expeditions that would double as a "beater" for short family paddling activities. I gotta say the build quality on Old Town has seriously suffered since I bought my Penobscot in the 90's. I viewed 3 boats in my area, each with a series of pulled rivets, warped fenders, and other general frailties. In this size range I would stick with a Wenonah Backwater or Esquif Rangely 15' due to (obvious) advantages in construction.

01-04-2012
Submitted by: BrianSend Email

I also bought this canoe back in July of 2010 from Dick's Sporting Goods. I was also irritated by Dick's because the canoe had many scratches on it. I had to buy the floor model because they didn't have any in the back. It looked like it was used already. It had too many scratches on it to be new or from shipping as they explained. The canoe is great but very heavy. I bought a jetski trailer for this canoe and modified it to fit my canoe. I bought a 30lb thrust Minn Kota for the canoe too. I am currently looking for ways to remove the scratches out of the canoe.

05-20-2011
Submitted by: nerbeSend Email

Just bought the Old Town Sportsman 15 at Dick's Sporting Goods two weekends ago. Have not yet had a chance to take it out, but wanted to let others know that the specs on Dick's website are very misleading about "their version" of the Rogue River 154 SS. The true weight of the canoe is actually 115 lbs. i had to contact Old Town/Johnson Sports directly to confirm this. Knowing this, I am going to have to take down the hoist system I just installed, as it is only rated at 100 lbs max. Good thing I inquired about this, otherwise, I'm afraid the whole thing would have come crashing down on top of our parked cars or even worse a human being. Plan to keep the canoe because it has everything else we are looking for, but am a little irritated with Dick's Sporting Goods.

05-17-2011
Submitted by: BrianSend Email

I bought this canoe at Dick's Sporting Goods, along with a Minn Kota 30lb thrust trolling motor, and paddles. I love this canoe for its size, molded seats with a middle cooler, paddle holders, and drink holders. I am planning on adding fishing rod holders. I bought this after using my brother's canoe for fishing. This is a great, sturdy, all around canoe. The only disadvantages is the size, weight, and I have a difficult time transporting it on the roof racks of my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am currently restoring a canoe trailer for easier transport.

8 out of 10, only because of weight, and awkwardness transporting the canoe.

12-07-2010
Submitted by: KeithSend Email

maiden voyage went great. paddled Guadalupe R from east of Seguin, TX (12hrs). One ore, great control, great elastic tie down for fishing pole.

07-01-2010

This canoe has a very wide beam (42") and provides a lot of initial stability. I use it to take the family (wife and 4 y/0 daughter) out and to fish from with a second person. It's pretty heavy at 84lbs but I can manage to get it on top of a sedan and back down to the ground by myself. It is a square stern canoe and I use a 30lb thrust trolling motor to get around at about 3.5mph. It has 3 pre-molded seats and the middle one doubles as a cooler and has drink holders. It functions really well for these activities but I have not tried to move it by paddle only so I can't review that. I have only seen this for sale at Bass Pro Shops but it is a good price (<600) if you don't mind the bulkiness of it.