Product Reviews > Kayaks > Delta Kayaks > Delta 16 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Delta 16 Kayak by Delta Kayaks

Rated: 8.67/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Delta 16 Kayak by Delta Kayaks

Length: 16' 0" - Width: 22.00" - Starting at: $2350.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Delta Kayaks Logo

09-26-2014

I am 5'7 and 170lbs and have owned my Delta 16 for 4 years now, it has yet to disappoint. Whether on a recreational paddle or an extended expedition of a week or more the 16 handles it all. There are many pros to this boat in regards to its versatility:
The narrow beam at 22" to help with the speed aspect being it is a shorter boat. Second is the 210 liter storage capacity and the convenient day hatch. Thirdly is the stability and forgiveness of the primary stability and the confidence of the secondary stability point.

I have had this kayak in all kinds of weather and have always felt safe. I have paddled the Broken Group and the larger ocean swells in the outer islands. However the two most challenging trips were one on Ross Lake in the North Cascades and Sechelt Inlet. Ross lake, when we started was rainy, until we rounded the point from the boat launch heading south. An awesome headwind with waves having 37km of nice straight water to build on, was waiting. Waves were between 2 and 3 feet. We paddled the 15km to Lightning Creek in 3 and a half hours and were done by the time we got there. Nice thing is the rain stopped. We were the advance crew for staking claim for the long weekend. The rest of our group arrived Friday. They arrived late and had stories to tell of the 9" to 12" trees that had blown over and blocked the road. We weren't surprised. Their energy was spent sawing and removing, then their paddle. The Sechelt inlet trip was sunny and warm, but the funneling winds coming down the inlets were reasonably intense. In this case they were rear quartering and my boat with the skeg tracked very well. The shore on these inlets is mostly rocky and steep so the confused seas generated were also a challenge. Again the waves were 2-3'. I don't go without when I kayak camp, and my deck is clear of material other than my map and spare paddle. I attribute this to the ample storage and when the wind blows in a low profile boat is certainly appreciated. Gear arrives dry. This trip was 108km in 4 days with the longest 34km from Tzoonie Narrows, through Skookumchuk at slack tide, and then back to Tzoonie Narrows. Good thing the seat is comfortable!

I hope Delta keeps producing this boat in its performance touring capacity rather than leaning towards a rec boat, we small people need these boats. I guess what I am saying is this boat swallows gear, goes fast straight, and handles the rough stuff while keeping me comfortable and gear dry.

07-15-2014

Moved up to the Delta 16 from my Stellar 14 footer and very glad I did. Tracks very well with none of the extreme weathercocking issues I was used to in the Stellar. Nifty cockpit storage and new for 2014 cover system which ditches the older and lousier button system. Mine has the skeg option and it is simple and quick to use when needed. And for a kayak builder , I was surprised that they didn't lie too much about the weight. It is very manageable. I have used a lot of yaks but this is my best ride so far.

12-16-2011

I bought the Delta16 2011 model with rudder. I am 5'8 190lbs and have been kayaking for three years in all conditions on the sea, lakes and rivers. I absolutely love it and am very happy with it's performance and quality of build. I test paddled Seaward Chinook, Nimbus Seafarer, Delta 15.5, Delta17 and finally Delta16.

08-27-2010

I bought a Delta 16 this spring. In most ways I love this boat. It tracks beautifully, turns very well, has great stability, is able to do any advanced kayaking skills such as edging right to the spray skirt being submerged and rolls. There is lots of hatch space for camping. I find it comfortable. It looks very nice, although I now have lots of scratches. I have a small Thermarest pillow to give me a bit of extra back padding. There are a few things I am not 100% happy with however:
  1. After a summer of lots of miles and lots of trips my bulkheads are no longer water tight so will require resealing.
  2. On occasion, the locking mechanism of the hatches does not work 100% and if cold they will just about bring on blisters on your finger to turn them and make sure they click to engage.
  3. The adjustable seat is pretty much useless. Once you have the foot pedals adjusted why have a seat that moves?
  4. There is not really a good space behind the seat for storage unless you have the seat moved quite far forward. After 3 times of fiddling with the seat the rubber gasket under the big screw disintegrated.
  5. The little cord hanging off the skeg bottom wore out in about 2 months. I replaced it with wire reinforced hay bailer twine.
Other than these relatively minor complaints, I still am very happy I bought this boat so give it an 8 out of 10.

07-06-2010
Submitted by: ScottMSend Email

We have had this boat on the Sea of Cortez for 8 months and we like it very much. It's true that the 16 has some unique features, so it's important to make sure that you like them. We, too, bought ours "on approval" from REI as the only way to get to see one; we had paddled a 17 and an 18 elsewhere and liked them both.

Hatches are the most distinctive feature, and apparently Delta is still tinkering with them -- I have seen a recent review of an example without the rear day-hatch. It was hard to reach, at least to re-close, at least as ours came rigged, but maybe that's what a paddling partner is for. Agreed that the pod makes efficient packing difficult, but that's the trade-off for possible convenience.

We have had no trouble at all with leaks, and the other Deltas we have seen were also dry. Our "knobs" work fine though they are fussy and not attractive. One should be aware that the boat as delivered will not look like the one in the picture.

The forward day hatch is large enough to hold quite a bit of stuff, without getting in the way in the cockpit, at least underway. It has not hindered us during wet exits, but one may want to consider how the pod could affect re-entry.

The office-chair style seat is wonderfully adjustable but not well padded. I check periodically to make sure that the two essential knobs are not coming loose. The height adjustment is "quantized," unlike some other slot-type models which might not stay put so long but might give you some warning before shedding parts. I kind of like the cord-type adjustment for both the seat back and the skeg as being more nautical (i.e., replaceable without fancy hardware) than some. This is even more true of the carry handles -- our other boat, an Eddyline Fathom, has spring-loaded retractable toggles that can't drag in the water; but when I need to swim my boat, or just tie it down on my car top, the handles I want are the ones on the 16.

Our 16 keeps up fine with our Fathom, probably doesn't hold quite so much stuff but holds some things that the Fathom won't -- because of the big hatch covers. The Delta is more fun to maneuver. I'm 6 feet, 160 lbs, my wife is shorter; people bigger than us will want to make sure they have room in the cockpit, maybe particularly for feet including footgear.

We only considered ABS boats. I like the seats and the pedal adjustments in the Perceptions, and like I say we bought a Fathom too. But I don't like any of them better than the 16. That 9 rating from me is probably as good as it gets.

06-29-2010

I recently had the opportunity to test drive a Delta 16. Well, actually, I bought one from REI during their 15% off boat sale. It was a web-only item. When I picked it up, I noticed striations all around the heat/chemical seal of the rear bulkhead. I thought there was some small chance that this was normal, and after the store manager reassured me about their return policy, I took it home. Eventually, I put several inches of water in the cockpit, and was able to see it leaking through to the rear compartment. Careful inspection revealed that some of those striations were actually open cracks. So, I had paddled the boat a few times before returning it. My test drive cost me $100 in travel expenses. Though I decided it was not ideal for my needs, I'm sure it would be great for some paddlers.

Obviously, a primary reason to buy a Delta is the thermoformed plastic: tough, slick, attractive, light weight, UV resistant, fairly rigid, and less expensive and less heavy than fiberglass. At 22 inches wide, this is one of Delta's narrower and ostensibly more efficient offerings.

I'm 5'9", 135 lb male, 52. I was only able to test paddle in calm water. Stability was fine. I found the maneuverability and edging to be quite good. Hull efficiency did not meet my expectations. While it would cruise along nicely at 4.6 MPH, 5 MPH took so much effort as to not be practical (in contrast, I get more than another 1/2 MPH from my 23 inch wide CLC Shearwater 16). I have to wonder if the concave sides and bottom facets add drag to the design. The full stems may be a factor here, too. I didn't get a chance to do anything meaningful with the skeg. It deployed easily. With just a jam cleat for the rope, incremental adjustment was not convenient.

The cockpit was not bad, if a bit larger than necessary. The sliding seat is a nice feature. I adjusted the position until my thighs fell nicely on the braces. I could have used some side padding. I do like having some room behind the seat for water and other things. The seat was not right for my bum, but, I have no padding, and factory seats generally don't work well. The seat pad had what appeared to be a drain area at the bottom -- but, there was no hole through the seat pan to allow water to escape! The seat back can be adjusted vertically while out of the boat, and the bungee'd hinge worked nicely. I found the single cord for seat back support and adjustment to be skimpy, and considered that the approx. 12-inch free end beyond the jam cleat might be an annoyance or safety hazard. And, shortening the cord would impair adjustability.

This is the only model where Delta has opted to include a front day hatch, and lock knobs on all the hatches. The front day hatch is a nice convenience. It is smoothly rounded on the underside of the deck, and does not at all interfere with your feet. The lock knobs work, but, they also leak. The knobs don't have their own seals, so, for example, the front day hatch would get a little water in it from paddle splashes. All of the hatch rims were nicely finished. Where my last thermoformed boat (a Perception) had the hatch edge pointed outward, Delta went to the trouble of turning the edges inward, to hide them and add rigidity. The main hatches are quite large. I was able to get the halves of a 230cm paddle into either hatch, as a test. The rear day hatch is a pod suspended under the deck. It seemed a little small. I didn't mind open space beside the pod, in the main rear compartment, but, the approx. 1 inch below it seemed wasted. Each hatch had bungees crossing over it, with hooks to quickly snap them in place. But, the combination of knob locks and bungees was a bit of a bother, and the bungees were so tight as to limit what other gear they could hold.