Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Commander 120 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Commander 120 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Rated: 9.67/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Commander 120 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Length: 12' 0" - Width: 30.25" - Starting at: $969.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Wilderness Systems Logo

07-03-2014

This is my second kayak I bought. This kayak is same stability with my Jackson Coosa. I choose this Commander, because easygoing setup for my fishing boat. Easy to paddle and also can be used for stand up when I do casting the lures. With 400 lb load capacity can be used when you like camping with kayak.
Also the seat have 2 different style. You can seat low or you can seat higher with captain seat on top.
This is the best hybrid kayak on the market.

07-02-2014

OK, so I'm a newbee to kayaking. I did my research and found the perfect yak for fishing. Yes it heavy and I had to switch to a Thule Roller-type rack but its all worth it. Seat is comfortable for 3-4 hrs on Carnegie Lake, NJ.

Plenty of room for tackle box, milk crate in back, 3 fishing poles, anchor line, fish finder, etc. Very stable and tracking was good last night in windy return after dark. (I should have returned earlier, but I was enjoying the fishing.)

I'm almost 70 and getting in/out is no problem with the open cockpit. My wife, daughter and grandkids all think the mango color is cool. The only problem is now my wife wants one, so now you need to make a Commander 100.

07-27-2013

Bought it for my wife who has moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. Easy getting in and out for her. Plenty of room. Paddles easy and tracts well. Very stable. Had BassYaks motor put on rear so less paddling for her and more fishing!

06-20-2011

I struggled for a bit between a canoe and a second kayak to join my Tsunami 16 foot kayak. I wanted the canoe advantages of taking my lab with me, coolers and a ton of gear...but also wanted to be able to go out with the wife together with the tsunami so wanted a second kayak. This boat serves both purposes and does so impressively.
    Pros:
  • It tracks very straight...as straight as my 16 footer.
  • Decent enough speed to go play around with the other kayaks.
  • Very stable...my dog can walk around and I can walk around in the kayak with no fear of tipping.
  • The multiple seating options are more useful than one would imagine. On long paddles it is amazing how changing your position or sitting up on the perch for a while really helps change things up.
  • It is a dream to accessorize...rudders, trolling motors, angler gear, coolers, cargo skirts. If you are a gadget person you can really individualize this boat.
  • Entry and exit. It has the advantages of a sit-on-top with the dry ride of a SINK.

Cons:

• It is a bit heavy, but for me the 12 foot length sort of cancels out the weight disadvantage for loading.
  • It does not glide through the water, it pushes through. I expected this and it is still a very enjoyable paddle.
So in summary I would not want to take this places I would not take a canoe. As long as you view it in that setting (slow to moderate moving rivers, lakes, creeks)you will be hard pressed to find a boat that does so many things well. I do not find the lack of a flat floor any problem but it is certainly worth considering. Outfit this thing in camo...add a couple storage skirts and you have the ultimate nature attack vessel... being one part kayak, one part canoe and even one part Jon boat if you want to take it that far.

08-05-2010

Great kayak/canoe hybrid. Room, versatile, many extra components can be added without cluttering your area. Extremely durable. Rides & tracks well, turns well. A very comfortable seat. My fourth kayak and first from Wilderness Systems.

06-11-2010

Nice hybrid; similar to native ultimate 12, but not as comfortable, also heavier. Is more stable and can carry more weight, would recommend. Only gave an 8 because of weight and native 12 turns on a dime compared to this craft, still a nice craft

Rendezvous River Sports