Product Reviews > Kayaks > Future Beach > Spirit 120 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Spirit 120 Kayak by Future Beach

Rated: 7.69/10 Based On: 13 Reviews

Spirit 120 Kayak by Future Beach

Length: 10' 0" - Width: 28.00" - Starting at: $399.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Future Beach Logo

12-08-2014
Submitted by: ST

This Future Beach Spirit 120 is a great kayak for the price. Can be purchased at Dick's for under $200 when on sale, and is by far the best sit on top kayak in that price range. It's strength is versatility; anyone from a 6' tall person to a child can be off and paddling comfortably with no adjustments.

It is remarkably stable and tracks straight and true. Not quite as fast as our sit inside Perception kayaks, but it's ease of use makes this kayak the favorite pick at the waterfront. I took a point off for the very small storage hatch, but that is just a minor comment.

09-08-2014
Submitted by: Leslie YSend Email

Nice, inexpensive sit-on-top sport or fun boat. Very stable. Have paddled Class I-III water with no problem in this boat. Just keep paddling and moving forward! Also easy to maneuver and glides pretty well over flat water.

08-19-2014
Submitted by: Bill

I own a few kayaks and canoes and this kayak tracks nicely and is stable. Two problems. First off, the "dry well" doesn't keep thing dry. The fitting is too loose. Secondly, if you need to order parts, this company is slowwwwwww. Like glacially slow. I ordered a new seat back directly from the company and have been waiting over 2 weeks now. When calling them about it, you get someone in a third world country promising they'll call me back within 48 hrs. .......... still waiting. I won't buy future beach again.

07-10-2014

This Sit On Top (SOT) has been the perfect first boat for my son. I bought it 3 years ago when he was 9. He's now 12 years old, over 5' and 100lbs, so he's about to outgrow it, but after 100 paddle trips, the boat is still in great shape.

It compromises a bit of speed for stability, with it's dual keel design. It's a bit heavy for its length, but very solid thick ABS plastic that still looks new on top with only a few scratches on the hull.

07-06-2014
Submitted by: cwSend Email

I purchased the Future Beach Spirit 120 as a recreational kayak. I am still adjusting to it, but it tracked and turned easily both times I've had it out. I got a little nervous about some of the ski boat wakes, but it handled them smoothly.

07-06-2014

I have 6 kayaks of my own ranging from 10 to 15 feet long. I have had the opportunity to use one of these during this past week in varying water conditions while visiting a relative. Compared to the 10 footers I own the Ride feels even shorter, thus in water that has even the smallest wave action it is rocking front to back. While it is a very stable kayak for it's size. It feels more like an 8 footer than a 10.

I have a hard time giving this kayak a recommendation for anyone, because I feel there are better kayaks in this size range. My wife tried it as well and found the resistance more than her 11 foot kayak. She also barely touched the padded seat cushion and it snapped off. We will be replacing that.

Lastly the kayak tracks fine with no problems. I do like its build quality, although I have seen some on store display that were not as nice looking as the one I tried. It is unfortunate I really wanted to like it because of its build and shape.

05-08-2014

This is an unusually well-tracking kayak for so such small size. It is stable enough. Dry storage is small, thought enough to hold wallet, car keys in zip-lock. I'm keeping this kayak, because it fits inside Toyota Sienna.
Not sure about weight limit. I'm 160LB and shorty, kayak is good for me, however person who is 200LB or over will find it too small and unstable.

06-03-2012
Submitted by: JohnSend Email

The Spirit 120 is, as mentioned before, difficult to turn compared to the white water I grew up with. However, its stability makes it a wonderful fishing kayak. I named mine Valoo.

05-28-2012
Submitted by: calSend Email

Excellent entry level kayak. I bought mine from Dick's on sale, walked out with the kayak, paddle, PFD and a paddle leash for $270. Took it to Owl Creek in Virginia Beach today and was paddling like a pro in ten minutes. Very stable, lot's of fun. The only downside is that the storage area is very small.

07-25-2011
Submitted by: SJSend Email

Just purchased two Spirit 120 kayaks for me and my wife. They are a great all around kayak for lakes or rivers.

05-25-2011

Nice cheap kayak for lightweight beginners. Cons: The side carry straps are not centered causing the yak to nose down when carrying it. The weight capacity is overrated. I weigh 220 and the top edge was just above the water. Other than that, a good kayak for under $200.

04-14-2011

Have used the Spirit for river and easy whitewater paddling. Very versatile in a variety of water conditions. VERY stable. Good beginner/intermediate boat. Fits me at 5'4" and my boyfriend at 6'1". We enjoy our Spirits.

06-04-2010
Submitted by: RICARDOSend Email

This kayak is super stable; hard to turn but is a sacrifice in pro of stability. This is a good kayak for kids