Product Reviews > Accessories > Harmony Whisper Ottertail paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Harmony Whisper Ottertail paddle

Research Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Paddles
View Paddles in Buyers' Guide

07-19-2010

I couldn't pass up the deal on this paddle at clearance from REI. $20 total with local pick-up. For that price, it was a steal. It is a functional and durable paddle that I am sure will last through many years of hard use, as long as the finish is kept up.

Make no mistake - this paddle is in no way comparable to a custom ottertail from the likes of Ray Kettlewell or other well-known paddle makers. It is laminated wood with a very utilitarian finish, and does not have the graceful shape and fine edges that make the better ottertail paddles such a joy to use.

The grip is too large and IMO needs reshaping for comfort. I used the roller end of a bench sander to give mine that "football" end with a concave grip area. Then I sanded and refinished the whole grip with Danish oil instead of varnish (my preference for comfort).

Although it is plenty strong, the paddle is quite light. And the blade has a plastic tip guard, which is good for use in waters that may be shallow in places. But the blade is also pretty much flat with blunt edges - so it doesn't knife silently through underwater recoveries or give an easy silent catch like a well-shaped ottertail paddle should.

For those on a tight budget or looking for a spare or loaner paddle - or one that you won't be afraid to abuse, this one is a great deal, especially at a sale price and especially if you have the ability to customize the grip to your liking.

04-19-2010

I ordered the $29.99 Harmony Whisper paddle online, only because I always wanted an Ottertail, but didn't want to spend over $100 for it. I lightly sanded the varnish off the shaft and hand grip, and oiled those areas. Paddling the 57" paddle is a true delight of aesthetics. Smoothest J strokes I ever did. Well made, and the best Ottertail deal of the century!