Product Reviews > Accessories > MSR Miniworks Water Filter Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for MSR Miniworks Water Filter

Rated: 8.8/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Research Water Purifiers & Filters in the Buyers' Guide!
Water Purifiers & Filters
View Water Purifiers & Filters in Buyers' Guide

05-06-2014

I bought this as a possible replacement for my Katadyn simply because the replacement filters are so expensive.
The Mini is made to screw onto the MSR Bladder or the Nalgene bottles, then you screw the filter onto your bottle, pump, unscrew and drink. Simple and effective and no need for an exit hose that is always coming free and falling into the mud.

My main complaint is that the Mini is designed to screw onto the top of the MSR, Reliance and Nalgene bottles. As I had a brought a few off-brand bottles, I found that, in the field, the openings and threads did not match! AS I am unaware of any adapter for the hundreds of knock-off bottles, if you buy the Mini, be certain to take ONLY Nalgene and Reliance bottles with you.
This is why I gave it a 7, the requirement for a specific water bottle when many of us bring the ones we are given as gifts by companies seeking our business.

04-10-2013

Whether in a survival situation, a lengthy solo wilderness adventure or a simple weekend fishing or camping trip the one thing you cannot do without is water. For the weekend fishing or camping trip it's easy enough to bring sufficient water with you. However, weather changes fast in the back country and for any number of reasons people often get stranded far from help and that simple trip to your favorite trout stream could very well turn into a solo wilderness adventure and survival situation. Because of that it's always a good idea to have a means of treating water, in sufficient quantity to sustain yourself, for far longer than the scheduled duration of your trip.

Last year I purchased the MSR (Mountain Safety Research) Miniworks EX. I'll say right from the beginning that the first one I bought failed on my very first trip resulting in me having to cut my outing short by two days. The pump pivot pin broke and though quite a drag, the good folks at REI replaced it, no questions asked, with a brand new filter unit. They said they'd had two others returned for similar failures. Likely a bad manufacturing run on the pins, things like that happen in production. They made it right. I'm happy. Since then I've used the filter on a number of trips and I feel that I can now offer an honest review of the product.

Read More at my blog: thedamntrueexperiment.blogspot.com

10-22-2011

This is a great filter.
We were 5 on a canoe trip, and had no problem keeping up on water bottles. The filter at one time had the bottom unglue, so sent the filter to the company, and they sent a new filter with the bottom properly sealed on.

07-12-2011

Great simple filter, easy to maintain, easy to clean.
Screws on directly to a wide mouth Nalgene or MSR Dromedary water bags which makes even more practical if you intend to use it while out on the water.
Treats everything except viruses (need to use iodine or other chemical to remedy this while in tropical areas).
Ceramic element will easily outlast any paper filter cartridge.

01-29-2010

Bought this for backpacking but comes in handy for overnight kayak trips. Would recommend bigger filter for 2 people as it is a little slow (very light) but it works great!