Product Reviews > Kayaks > Equinox Kayaks > Equinox 10.4 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Equinox 10.4 Kayak by Equinox Kayaks

Rated: 8.61/10 Based On: 33 Reviews

Equinox 10.4 Kayak by Equinox Kayaks

Length: 10' 4" - Width: 29.50" - Starting at: $0.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Equinox Kayaks Logo

04-21-2014
Submitted by: RichardSend Email

I really like the kayak that I got at Costco; handles well. But I can't get more info on parts and how to install them. Company has bad web page.

04-17-2014

Very nice kayak, but there are some important considerations! First, they SERIOUSLY messed up the design in 2013+. The classic was has the front compartment and the more squarish/stable hull. Probably a corporate cost saving move.

You can still get this kayak though (the good version). What happens is that "Equinox" is a made up brand just for Costco sales (this thread is filled with Costco customers!). This is really a Future Beach kayak that you can buy at places like Dick's.

What you probably REALLY want is the Patriot 126 (10.4'). That is the old classic Costco kayak that so many of us love for it's stability, great roomy cockpit and good tracking (although, yes the foot pedals do break). Most of the individuals submitting reviews are actually doing so for this puppy...

The current 2013/2014 Costo Equinox seems to be now using the Future Beach Vector class instead of the Future Beach Patriot class which is most unfortunate.

The Patriot 144 is an intriguing option as well. Think the Patriot 124 but with two more feet in length and with better speed (only $600). Dicks should have this.

All the other future beach boats seem inferior IMO...but do your own research. Shame on Future Beach/Equinox for confusing customers over a terrific entry level boat!

04-15-2014
Submitted by: SMCSend Email

I bought this kayak as a second Yak today for a family trip to the lake. I was wonderfully surprised at how easy it was to paddle and how well it tracked! I found it much easier to navigate through the water than my much bulkier 13 foot Hobie SOT.

I am 6 feet tall, and weigh in at 300 lbs. Despite the weight limit of 275, I had no problem fitting in the yak or staying high in the water. My 13 year old son jumped in and you would have thought he had been paddling for years with how easy he handled it.

For $299, you can't ask for a better kayak!

03-25-2014
Submitted by: ggSend Email

This is an excellent Kayak. I have been Kayaking for years and needed a more stable boat. At this price how could I go wrong.

Pros: High Back Seat, Super Stable, Easy to use foot holders and adjustments, reasonably weight, great handle carriers, a drain plug, cup holder, water tight storage.. both are quick release not twist type, seems very sturdy, tracks very well, easy to paddle and doesn't have much resistance, reasonable bungees, doesn't tip excessively when boarding or getting out, turns and handles exceptionally.

Cons: Not really bad points but you may want to consider: The kayak is quite wide on the 'J' racks, seat is one piece molding. I couldn't grab hold of the middle of the cockpit to lift as other seats are suspended in the opening, I recommend this kayak for everyone especially anyone wanting a stable fun day in the water.

03-11-2014

A friend and I each bought one at Costco last (2013) summer, found it to be a very good beginning kayak. No carrier, but paddle included. We are in SW Washington. Took it on lakes, a nearby river (Washougal), and even crossed the Columbia River from Washington state to Oregon (Autumn, water warm and shallow, current as slow as it will ever get, warm day, easy dry-off if necessary - not reckless). I wouldn't do that during the high fast water seasons.

We've both had the same problem with seats pulling loose and front mini hatch coming loose. Doesn't exactly slice through the water, but does ok. Good value for the dollar, but I wouldn't push it too hard.

08-01-2013
Submitted by: Kevin WhitsonSend Email

We sold our canoe and bought 2 of the Equinox Kayaks. They are great but we have already broken all 4 plastic brackets on each end that hold the rope handles in place. Now looking for metal replacements but should not be a big deal. The kayaks are very stable and great for fishing or just paddling.

07-26-2013
Submitted by: Kiley VSend Email

I got the bug for kayaking on vacation in Hawaii last year, when my husband and I rented boats and got to paddle around in the shallow for a few hours. I've actually been drawn to try the sport for a while, and last summer, I earnestly researched what I should be looking for in a beginner's recreational kayak. So when I was shopping at Costco in February this year and saw the features on the Equinox 10.4 for the price, I was sold - even though in Colorado, we have no paddle-able water in February!

Finally, our local bodies of water thawed out in May, and I headed out on Mother's Day for a few hours on Cherry Creek Reservoir. I instantly felt comfortable in my new boat and found it to be very stable and easy to maneuver. I have since taken it on several mountain lakes in both windy and calm conditions, and it's a great beginner's kayak with adjustable footrests, a huge water-resistant cargo area, top deck rigging and handy holders for gear, snacks and a water bottle. My kids have tried it and my husband has fished from it. It's comfortable and easy to paddle for hours.

At over 60 pounds, it's a little too heavy for me to lift myself, but I bought a portage cart for more independence. It's a little unwieldy for long distances from car to water, and I need my husband's help for loading it on our Durango's roof rack. Other than that, I love it and look forward to many more hours on Colorado's lakes. I hope to hit them all!

07-26-2013

Three days before Memorial Day of 2012 she says, "Gee, I think I'd like a kayak too." I was amazed! She had never wanted to go to demo's, or even read about kayaks. I said, "Gee, you've picked the perfect time of year to look for a great discount on a new kayak." She said, "Hey, let's go to Costco." That's how we came to acquire what has come to be known as the "The Little Yellow Costco Kayak."

I though, "I can't imagine how she can like this little yellow 'thing' that looks like the creation of someone who fell asleep on their CAD keyboard while trying to design a cross between a plastic drift boat and jon boat"....but....she LOVES IT!

TLYCK is a lot of boat for the buck. The company that makes Equinox must have taken to heart the advice given to Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate" about the future and plastics. (They make everything from storage bins to furniture.) TLYCK has a bulkhead and is unerringly stable. She happily bounces over boat wakes with her feet out of the cockpit and resting on the front deck. My over six foot frame finds it cramped and clunky, but her five foot frame finds it divine.

The seat has been a continuing problem. (The 2013 models have a new seat.) I corresponded with Melissa at Equinox, but after sending pictures, she declined to send a new seat. (With a drill and some cable ties, you can remedy the seat problem.)

I don't think she'll ever say, "Gee, I think I'd like to paddle with Freya Hoffmeister," or even, "How do I roll this thing?" But, you never know. Stranger things have happened. TLYCK and the big mango Tsunami...that's us.
You gotta love the journey.

06-24-2013
Submitted by: chris

Bought this from Costco last season (2012). I checked out the new season yaks at Costco a week ago. The 2013's have changed a bit in style. The new one has only one compartment where I had two.

As far as the 2012 Equinox Xtreme, I love it. It's a bit hard to paddle full-on long distances meaning that you will work just a tad harder than more expensive yaks, of course. The tracking is great, and is very stable.

I paddled 16 miles on the 4th of July with ocean boats sending over 4 to 6 ft wakes my way. The Equinox tore through it all no problem - straight on, angled approach, or waves coming from behind had nothing on this boat. The storage is awesome! I am a daytripper but I still pack a camera bag, 5 gallon dry sac, folding full body lawn chair, lunchbox, tent, and a six pack every time I go.

Price is right can't go wrong. Don't worry that people say it's good bc it's cheap, It's a good boat that just happens to be inexpensive!

05-07-2013
Submitted by: JR YoungSend Email

I purchased one of these 10.4's. love it. I'm retired and needed an upper body lo/no impact exerciser. It met all of my expectations. Only problem was the seat. The two plugs that they used to hold the center of the seat back in place pulled thru the seat material. Costco made it right (replaced kayak!). The fix is a piece of plastic strip. This gives a bigger attachment footprint. No more problems. Have great Kayak days ahead

04-29-2013
Submitted by: BSMSend Email

This is a BIG one person kayak. I purchased this for the lazy river kayaking that I do and found that I am a bit swamped in the cockpit. There's enough room for both myself and my dog (a doberman), or it will be perfect for a larger man. It tracks well in the water and has a flatter bottom so it is less likely to drag in the shallows. The only down side is that the front can holder/container never fit right and had to be hot glued to stay in. An easy fix but still annoying when it's brand new. Up side - A great deal at $299.

04-08-2013
Submitted by: JTS

I live in N.W. Oregon and decided I wanted a kayak for retirement exercise and adventure. I wanted to build a wood kit boat but took my wife's advice and bought at Costco (no waiting / no work). I love the stability and the tracking this boat has after trying three other brands. Only negative is the foot peg brackets broke soon so I designed and built two new stainless steel brackets and installed.

03-04-2013
Submitted by: LTSend Email

We just bought our 2nd one so that hubby could have one of his own. I got mine last year and love it. I'm 4' 10" and can handle get into and out of my Chevy Astro van and to and from the boat ramp on my own. I don't drag it - I pivot it around and it's ends and that works fine for me. I can't hoist to the roof racks but I don't need to if it's just me going. Now that we have two of them we'll buy the j-racks for our van's top rack and hubby (who is 6'1") can hoist them up and get them down. I know mine was $349 last year, and this year we just paid $299. They don't have the straps and blocks this time but we never used them anyway. And I had absolutely zero problems with my seat and paddle last year.

02-28-2013
Submitted by: TomSend Email

Just bought two of these at Costco. They're great rec boats for the price! Quite fun! The design and configuration is a little different than pictured here on paddling.net, check the equinox website for current info. Price here in AZ was $299 including paddle (no included roof blocks/straps as it seems were previously part of the package).

07-09-2012
Submitted by: PaulSend Email

For the price, including paddle and carrier, can't be beat. I bought it last year and have used it several times on Long Island Sound. As long as it's not too windy, it's great. Took it out at night and paddled along City Island - beautiful experience. It tracks nicely and is very stable.

Only problem - it weighs a ton! Well, not a ton, but it's heavy. It's hard to lift by myself, although I can do it. So, if weight is not a problem, I recommend it. But if you're not too strong and will be single handing it on top of a car or onto a yacht, a lighter kayak might be better.

06-08-2012
Submitted by: sbSend Email

The kayak itself is very stable and sturdy, however the seat shrinks and curls from heat/sun exposure and the manufacturer refuses to replace it, so plan to spend another $50 to $100 for a replacement seat. My seat is attached to the kayak with rivets/screws so it is not easily removable, and the shrinkage caused the seat to pull up the rivets and detach itself from the kayak.

06-01-2012

Nice kayak...for the price. The hardware is pretty low-grade - had to replace all the j-hooks and external hardware. The seats are poor - seat backs come off easily and can't be replaced - had to attached them with cable ties. The price is right, and the kayak works and tracks well, but don't think you're getting a $600 Kayak for $350. You're getting a $350 kayak.

05-04-2012

Bought this Kayak at Costco and absolutely love it. For a first kayak it is the perfect boat for me to hit the water in a short amount of time. It is super stable and tracks well. It is an awesome entry into water-sporting for a small investment.

04-24-2012

Good hull with junk for fittings. Nylon/plastic fittings break easily, cords stretch, and seat backs detach and can't be re-attached. The boat is an "almost" - almost ready for prime time, but not quite. The hatches also all leak, even though they are sold as waterproof. Very disappointing to see Costco sell this before it's really ready to be sold, in my opinion.

09-28-2011
Submitted by: D. P. SantosSend Email

I have two of these kayaks. They track great and come ready to go with a roof rack (cheap and cheesy, but it works) and a paddle. I would have given it a 10 for value, but when one of my paddles broke at the base of the blade while paddling in fairly calm river conditions, I was left without a paddle. It broke well within the warranty period, and the customer service rep kept asking me for more pics, detailed summary, the original Costco receipt and finally asked for my address. Two weeks later not a word. When I contacted them for a status they sent me an order form for a new paddle with $24.95 for shipping.

Bottom line it's a good boat, I don't know that they would stand behind it if you have any problems, but definitely figure on having to buy a new paddle, you'll need one.

08-26-2011
Submitted by: MolSend Email

Purchased this little kayak at Costco. It is my first and excellent for the price. It is heavy at 50 lbs but fortunately I live on the water and don't have to heave it too far to launch. The fasteners for the knee supports and seat keep coming off. The seat has zero back support so I have to carry a small cushion. Otherwise I am very happy using it to paddle around my inlet off the Chester River; it is very stable and while not fast, I am in no hurry. It would be fabulous if they offered an optional cover for the main compartment. Storing it upside down prevents rain accumulation but not spiders! I would recommend this highly for the first time kayaker.

07-29-2011
Submitted by: Kurt

Purchased two this June. My family spent a week navigating the same 10 miles of a river that had about 20 rapids. The Kayaks would eventually fill and require bailing. I am going to buy skirts to prevent that in the future. Small waves, maybe one foot high will slosh over the bow and flood into the compartment.

Tracks straight but are heavy to carry around. Real tough material. One kayak has a mis-installed foam watertight barrier that deflects the bottom of the kayak and also allows water into the rear compartment. Since it's now August, Costco is selling Christmas stuff and these kayaks are gone. I'll have to remove and replace it myself, don't want to wait until next year to see if they get some in for a trade.

07-14-2011
Submitted by: Roger LittlepageSend Email

I just picked the Equinox 10.4 up at Costco and I am very impressed! It truly combines the features of a touring boat with that of a rec boat. The storage space works great and I love the front storage, once you are on the water, you can not reach the rear hatch. It is one of the most stable boats I have been in, yet doesn't sacrifice speed. I found it very comfortable for my trip. (I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs) The only uncomfortableness I felt was from paddling with gators here in Florida for the first time in the everglades!

The only cons: a little heavy but cant complain with that due to the type of boat. I found it difficult to adjust the foot rests once on the water. The lever is actually elongated to allow you to reach it, but it is very slippery when your hands/the lever is wet. I couldn't pull it towards me while it was wet. Also, the cup holder is quite small in diameter. Those are very trivial concerns.

I tried to buy another but Costco was sold out. After looking, I found out that this is the same boat as those manufactured by "Future Beach". But a heck of a better deal at Costco.

07-08-2011
Submitted by: jsSend Email

At the store, I noticed all the Equinox 10.4's had big bulges across the entire bottom caused by a too-large foam bulkhead, badly distorting the concave hull. I purchased anyway, this being my first kayak, because it was such a good deal and hoped the flaw wouldn't matter. My first trip out was 16 miles with a group of 30 paddlers, and I clearly was working harder than everyone to keep up. Afterwards, I removed the foam bulkhead and the boat resumed the concave shape as it was originally extruded, except with some minor deviation still where the seat was attached.

I added a set of kayak inflatable pillows for inside the bow and stern (a good idea anyway) and upgraded the paddle because the one you get with the boat has only a single rivet holding each end (didn't want to be up the creek without a paddle!). With the foam bulkhead removed, there is noticeably less resistance and is easier to paddle, and faster. The car carrying kit that was also included with the boat would have cost only about $35, so with buying another paddle, the original package deal on the boat wasn't quite as good as expected, and I'd invest in a better boat to start if could do over. But this is only because I'd like a faster boat to keep up on long rides. If not for that, this is an excellent boat to do about anything and everything else. In comparison, it does have good storage and good fitting lids, a comfortable, upgraded seat, upgraded leg pads, easily adjustable foot rests, and very good stability.

07-06-2011
Submitted by: PaulSend Email

I have two of these kayaks, and I couldn't be happier with them. They are a great value. Many used kayaks sell for more than these ones cost new. I'm no kayak expert, but I will be soon. I've already got over 35 miles on them and so far I have no complaints. My wife and kid would like it if they were a little lighter for when they go with out me, but for the money you can't beat these boats.

06-15-2011
Submitted by: Pad-EelzSend Email

Picked up 2 of these from Costco and appears the reviews should go here. We've put them in rivers, lakes and estuaries around here and they've served very well.

Pros - more boat strength and features versus similar priced plastic ones. Sturdy, stable, track well, good balance.

Cons - slight leak in one bulkhead solved with some silicone. Footrest can jam too far back requiring quick fix.
I purchased better paddles but included ones okay.

Also own Necky Tofino for ocean waters.
May upgrade singles boats in future but will always keep these for simple easy fun.

03-21-2011
Submitted by: RoosterSend Email

I liked this Kayak so much, I decided to buy four. Should make for some good double dates!

07-06-2010

We recently purchased two of these Kayaks from Costco. So far we love them! We just got back from a vacation to Lake Tahoe, CA. The water was a bit choppy and cool, the boats handled it all with no problems, got a few good sized wakes, took them head on and not a drop of water over the bow. They track straight and we were surprised at how far and fast we went with not much effort. I agree they seem a bit heavy, we had to carry them quite a distance. We do plan on buying some wheels for them. We did a lot of shopping for a Kayak and found that the Costco Equinox was a pretty good deal with the paddles and cartop carrier.

Only problem I have so far is the thigh braces. I am 5'2" with short legs. With my feet on the pegs there is no way my legs can even touch the pads (even with adjustments).

06-22-2010
Submitted by: gooniesSend Email

Great kayak, I've done over 34 miles in this kayak my only complaint is the seat is terrible on the back, not enough cushion...

04-13-2010
Submitted by: DEMSend Email

I'm new to kayaking and when I looked around extensively to find an inexpensive boat with good features the Equinox 124 from Costco won hands down. Great storage, real good paddle for a throw in. most comfortable seat in this price range. paid $320. knee/thigh pads make for a truly comfortable ride. had it for a few weeks now and take it almost daily from my lagoon to barnegat bay outside lbi in NJ.

While it isn't lightning fast it tracks straight forever and is super stable. the adjustable foot rests are a nice addition for a starter kayak as is the adjustable comfy seat. I feel comfortable on the bay in the chop because the boat is stable as anything. one issue so far though - bolt holding in foot rest from outside was loose and was leaking water. tightened it and is now ok. no biggie.

All in all I love this kayak and for the money u just cant do better. i was thinking of getting a two person to take my 6 yr old daughter out with me but she fits perfectly in this with me because of the accommodating cockpit. all i can say is i think all day at work about gettin home to my kayak for a nice relaxing paddle to the bay.

07-26-2009
Submitted by: tdbSend Email

This is my first kayak. I am very happy with it. My only complaint is that it is heavy at 50lbs. But it is a lot of fun and I have taken it on the American River and several area lakes. It is easy to paddle and tracks easily.

07-02-2009

I bought this kayak at Costco and liked it so much I bought a 2nd Future Beach Trophy 126. I kayak with my grand daughter and being a 58 yr old women, find it easy to control. I love the easy way it handles in the water and seems to have a lot of features of more expensive kayaks.

06-26-2009

This is the Equinox 124 sold by Costco. I think this is actually made by Future Beach, so I am posting this here. This kayak is a 10'4" version of the Future Beach Trophy 126, but without the fishing gear. It comes with a Future Beach paddle and a car top carrier setup which is a couple of foam blocks and some tie downs. I got mine for $330.

This was my first kayak and I thought it was a great deal. I found myself doing several miles a day and not getting too tired once I got used to it. It is rock stable and tracks like it is on rails! I find this is perfect for sneaking up on wild life since as soon as I see a heron or a beaver I can freeze and the kayak will continue on its course without veering into the bank to turning away. Slowing to a crawl the kayak will just keep drifting and not startle the animal until I am almost on top of it. I can see why this would be a desirable kayak for fishing.

My only complaints are that at 50 lbs, it is a little on the heavy side for a 10 foot kayak. It is a bit slower than my other kayak, a Rhythm 11, and the quality of construction is not so good. I don't think there are any major flaws, but the first one I bought dropped the bulkhead for the rear compartment. It had so little glue on it, that it actually just fell out of place! Rather than to mess with fixing it, I took it back to Costco and got another. That one had a better glue job on the bulkhead, but the first time I put it in the water, I found one of the bolts holding the knee pad had fallen off! Fortunately the special nut was found inside the boat and I can put it back in easily. But clearly, the low cost (and likely profit margin) is showing in the quality. Still, these are rather minor things in the real world and I enjoy this as a second kayak.

I am 6'1" and 210 lbs so that I find my toes are a bit cramped. The dry compartment in the front takes some space from the foot area. Still, I can spend three or four hours in this kayak and enjoy the trip. The seat is mostly responsible for this. It is pretty dense, thick foam rubber and is pretty comfortable.

Botetourt County Tourism: