Product Reviews > Accessories > Extra Sport PFDs Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Extra Sport PFDs

Rated: 8.92/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

Research PFDs (Life Jackets) in the Buyers' Guide!
PFDs (Life Jackets)
View PFDs (Life Jackets) in Buyers' Guide

08-11-2014

My Extra Sport PFD is easily adjustable for a good fit. I bought it at a local big box store for a reasonable price. It is lightweight and comfortable enough for an all day paddle. I only rated it an 8 because they do not have a jacket made for a woman, so they can be a little tighter in some areas than I would like. In doing kayak re-entry practice in this vest, it had good buoyancy. For the price it is a decent vest.

08-23-2013

Purchased two Extrasport Breakwater PFD Life Jacket - USCG Approved, Type III. Tried on several PFDs from several different stores before buying this one.
Pros: light weight, fits great, vented to help you keep cool, comfortable enough to wear all day, allows for easy clearance while paddling, plenty of pockets to keep small items handy and dry, easy to adjust safety straps to fit a variety of kayakers.
Cons: none

04-23-2007
Submitted by: T.R.

I just purchased the Baja Back Womans kayak Vest made by Extrasport after looking for a User Friendly comfortable one at several small and large stores in Maine and MA. Cant beat it.

04-16-2007

Exrasport Retroglide Sabre - low marks for customer service. I lost ONE plastic grommet and Extrasport's repair company would only deal with me if I SHIPPED the vest to them. They would not let me buy a plastic replacement grommet. Kudos to REI -- they called all over the US to find the PFD and replaced it - although I still had to pay $6 for shipping. Extrasport's customer service is awful.

02-27-2006

We have several Extrasport PFD's. They're comfortable to wear, good quality, competively priced and the newer styles with the thinner foam in the chest area fit great for women and/or men who may work out a lot and have larger upper chests. With these, there should be no reason to store it on the deck or behind the seat when leaving shore. We even purchased some really small ones for the grandkids.

12-16-2005

RetroGlide Saber is EXTREMELY comfy, esp at shoulders and upper torso. Buckles get whacked by elbow once in awhile, and front pocket's suffered nylon abrasion, but otherwise well-loved.

04-29-2005
Submitted by: Mathew RuleSend Email

This is a review of an Extrasport "Baja back" PFD. This is an outstanding piece of gear. Designed especially for kayak/canoe usage, it features layers of foam in the floatation compartments. This allows a lean fit, with extra thick flotation around the shoulders for instance, and little around the lower back. Upper body control and head positioning in the water seem to be really good. The foam layers also slide a little on each other and settle into a nice fit. Other good things are stretchable webs between the 3 main segments, a large front pocket of pleated, heavy material, big zippers for the front and pocket, quality materials, reflective patches, and great workmanship with lots of double stitching. It's all there and is proper emergency equipment, built like a parachute. Inexpensive, excellent flotation qualities, lets you fit in your skinny cockpit and gets more comfortable the more that it adjusts to you and your skinny seat. What is there not to like?

06-11-2004

I recently purchased an Extrasport VAPOR, which is advertised as a whitewater PFD. I have used mine for touring and would not trade it. It is very comfortable, and there are zero rub points. It never bunches, pinches, or gets in the way. And most importantly, it dosen't ride up on your torso when you are practicing rescue manuevers. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a quality, performance PFD without a $150 price tag.

06-21-2003
Submitted by: mike-aka-tigSend Email

This is a preliminary review of the Retroglide Saber. I've tested this from a kayak shop now for several day long paddles of 15-20 miles on open ocean. So far ot's a very nice PFD that stays out of the way for surfing, rolling and is short enough at the bottom and top to prevent ride up, and to let me wear the straw hat. I haven't yet paddled with it for multiple days, temperature extremes or for weeks on end. One thing is that my wings don't get chafed when I wear only the PFD. The pockets on this are really well placed and useful, forward and out of the way when paddling, sweep strokes, or surfing moves. It has a center zipper and not some funky side zip. It's also well made, too. A further review will happen when I get some serious time and miles with it.

09-10-2000

Extrasport Ranger hi-float. Fantastic piece of gear. keeps you high in the water with 29 lbs of positive bouyancy. great workmanship

04-23-2000
Submitted by: D.R.Send Email

I looked for literatally YEARS for a comfortable PFD to replace my old one. Extra Sport's "Solution" was exactly that!

03-22-1999

Being outfitters and guides we own and had tried almost every pfd made. Few if any are of the quality and as durable as extra sport. Excellent fit, design, quality, materials, workmanship and price.