Product Reviews > Kayaks > Eddyline > Journey Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Journey Kayak by Eddyline

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

10-07-2013
Submitted by: DanSend Email

Have been paddling my Eddyline Kayak all summer at Tahoe. With the adjustable skeg, the kayak can accommodate all kinds of wind conditions with ease. The low profile rear deck also helps my kayak to track very well. With its 15.5 length, kayaking 20 miles in a morning is pure bliss! Great adjustable seat, fabulous construction and finish makes it a winner on the water. I can't go out without multiple fellow kayakers stop me and discuss its beautiful lines and quality.

04-14-2013
Submitted by: dbinbendSend Email

If you want to purchase only one kayak that could do almost anything well, this is the one. I've had a Journey for several years now and have used it for everything from day trip pond paddling to multi-day open water (well, the lower Columbia River when it's blowing like stink). Its manners are impeccable and inspire confidence. As an example, last summer I went with a couple of guys on a three-day trip on the lower Columbia. It was windy (20knots+ at times) with swells of several feet (oh, during salmon season with powerboats racing to get to the best fishing holes and and freighters going up and downriver too). I started out in another kayak the same size but less stable and became overwhelmed (read-inexperienced) with the conditions. I traded kayaks with a more experienced kayaker who had borrowed my Journey for the trip, and all of a sudden the trip became enjoyable - riding over waves instead of through them, and feeling the stability as we crossed the river through the swells. It was like having an old friend again.

Everything that the previous reviewers said I agree with, so I won't go into those details. Eddylines are made in the good ol' USA and are top quality. I haven't seen anything near the price that compares. In summary: try it, you'll like it. It's a kayak that you don't outgrow.

01-04-2012

I can only sing the praises of the Eddyline Journey. At 15 and a half feet it is an attractive, smallish sea kayak but it delivers performance. It is very maneuverable and tracks well especially with the skeg down. I had no trouble keeping up with much longer sea kayaks on a day trip in the Gulf.

The fastrack foot pegs and easily adjustable from a seated position. The seat and backband are adjustable and very comfortable.the Journey has a large cockpit which makes it easy to get this 70 year old frame in and out. Both hatches offer ample room for a multi-day trip camping gear. I would give it a 10 but for the stern hatch cover - it is very difficult to close.

06-12-2009

The Journey is a beautiful boat in terms of its overall hull shape, deck architecture, colors, pearly finish, and logos. It has many outstanding qualities and a couple of drawbacks. I wouldn't really call it a "transitional" kayak because it performs better than any kayak I know of in the transitional (13'–15') class. It should be thought of as a capable short sea kayak that can do anything.

This is a very stable kayak (both primary and secondary) that can be handled by beginners but will satisfy experienced paddlers. It is wide (24"), but fast for that length, with excellent glide. Due to its shorter length it is more manageable than longer sea kayaks both in and out of the water, but it can go anywhere—ponds, lakes, sea—in just about any conditions. It is fully seaworthy. It leans well. It tracks well in calm water but is slightly skeg dependent in wind—but the skeg works well.

The cockpit will accommodate larger people in its length and width, but the area over the knees is a bit too low and confining, especially as the thigh braces angle down and have a sharp edge. I removed the braces and gained quite a bit of comfort.

My women's size 9.5 feet (= men's 8) fit nicely under the deck, but with not much room to spare, reflecting the low ends of the kayak. The seat did not work for me and I replaced it. The seat slides back unexpectedly if you push too hard on the foot pedals, and yet you can't adjust it fore and aft while sitting in the boat.

The hatch capacity appears limited due to the low ends, but in fact I was easily able to fit gear for a 3-day trip, and I'm pretty sure you could do a 7-day trip with lightweight backpacking-type equipment and careful planning of your food.

In spite of the above problems with the Journey, I am ultimately pretty happy with it. It is a big step above all the thermoformed competition under 16'— Delta, Hurricane, Swift — and worth the extra money. It's only real thermoformed competition is the 16' Delta. Eddyline remains first in thermoform, as they claim.
Raising the thigh/knee area by 1" and a new seat would make the Journey a perfect 10.

MTI Adventurewear: