Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception Sport > Sound 9.5 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Sound 9.5 Kayak by Perception Sport

Rated: 8.9/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

08-26-2013

Since Mainstream was acquired by Confluence, which also acquired Perception, the Sound is now manufactured by Perception Sport and is known as a Perception Sound. It is not shown on Perception's website, but is now shown on Perception Sport's website. It appears that Perception & Perception Sport are different companies...very confusing.

Large cockpit is easy to enter & leave; high deck leaves room for feet & knees. There is no closed storage & has foam flotation under the stern deck. Plenty of open storage under the decks for day trips. Tracks well and turns easily. The Sound has a tri-hull, but looks almost flat; can be transported on a rack right-side up. The Sound is roto-molded high-density linear polyethylene, but is sure a lot lighter (38 lbs) then any others I've seen. It's not a fast boat, but is very stable. When paddling hard, you can hear the water coming off the squarish stern.

Only weak point is the folding seat back, it is not attached to the bottom & is held in place with straps but it can easily pop out from bottom. I've added shock cords to keep to pulled down tightly.

Have had this kayak for 4 years & find it the best for slow moving rivers.

08-19-2013
Submitted by: RBSend Email

My first kayak, purchased three years ago. I am just now moving up to a bigger boat, but the Sound 9.5 has been the perfect starter boat. Tracks well, nice big entry way, and nice and light (able to easily lift it to top of SUV). I will be keeping this for my wife and kids to use, cannot say enough good about how it has served me to date.

Cons include a pretty uncomfortable seat, zero storage and a very useless tray. Great cost though makes those issues seem minimal.

Again, very happy with the Sound 9.5, it served me very well as my first kayak!

07-17-2013

Have reviewed these before. The good: handles nicely, tracks well for the size, easy to load.
Now the not so good: seat becomes uncomfortable after more than 20 minutes, one of mine the back brace pulled out of where it was attached, not easily accessible and have to work on this.
Overall: still a good boat for the price. Looking to upgrade the seats and setbacks.

06-12-2013

Over all, my 12 year old daughter and I love these kayaks. Have had others that were longer and this size and must say that they track well for the size and has enough speed to keep up with friends that have longer kayaks without much difficulty.

The only thing we don't like is the seat, these are the low end kayaks so did not expect much. Will be upgrading the seats soon. I have a small car and these are easy to load and launch even for my daughter. Would recommended these to anyone that needs small, easy to load and launch kayaks for flat water. Will be using them a lot this summer.

05-30-2012

I rented one of these and another brand 12' kayak Memorial Day for me and my daughter, 10 years old. She started out in this boat. It was very stable for her and she was able to stay with me in the 12 ft boat. It rode over boat wakes very well and stayed dry. We switched and I paddled this boat for a while. Was able to get it up to a respectable speed that I was surprised by. It also tracked very straight for this short of a boat and did not feel like I was paddling a bath tub like others I have used before in this size range.

Now the only reason I did not give it a 10 were for the molded in seat that collects water (from where I was splashed a few times by my daughter) and remained wet. I guess a quick fix with a drill bit. The other was no place to hold your paddle, again a quick fix with a kit. The company that rented these had them on sale and am going to pick up 2 soon

04-19-2010
Submitted by: SSend Email

Overall, not bad. I've spent a lot of time on the water, a little in canoes, some rowing, but mostly in power boats. However, this was my first kayak and I was pleased. Primarily used on calm rivers watching wildlife, exploring and just screwing around.

The high points: Lightweight and easy to handle on land. Comfortable seat. Good length for maneuvering in tight spaces. Got the hang of it on my first time out. Only rough water I've encountered was boat wakes which were a non issue, even on my first trip. Was no problem for me at 6' and 215 lbs.

The lows: Not the fastest thing on the water. Not a terrible amount of storage, which really isn't an issue when all you need will fit in a small bag for the day, but wouldn't want to use for fishing or overnight trips.

08-17-2009

This is my first kayak and first time ever paddling one so I don't have anything to compare it to. It seems every bit as stable as my canoe. Tracks well and is fast enough for my purposes. Seat is really comfy. I can't wait to add a rod holder! I think this will make a great fishing yak.

08-14-2009

I just purchased the Sound at Gander Mountain located in Sherman, TX. This is my first Kayak. I am 6' tall and weigh 230lbs and had no problem accessing and exiting this cockpit. The comfort level for me is outstanding. The three year warranty is very generous. I gave this a 10 on first impressions after comparing it to similar kayak's. Lake Crockett in the Caddo National Grasslands awaits me.

I will give my impressions later on the actual test run. If first impression can be trusted I expect my lake trip to be outstanding. By the way the salesman at Gander Mountain was extremely helpful and polite and made my visit there memorable, thanks Sam.

07-22-2009

Just got this yak about a week ago for $300 at Gander Mountain been out on it 3 times now and the only draw back I see is the leg room, but that was expected at 6'5" 215lbs. Otherwise it is very stable and has plenty of storage for camping needed to put on a rod holder and leg pads very light for easy transportation it works great on lakes and small rivers. Can't wait to go camping with it this week.

06-11-2009

Since Mainstream was acquired by Confluence, which also acquired Perception, the Sound is now manufactured by Perception and is known as a Perception Sound. It is not shown on Perception's website. I just purchased a new one from Gander Mountain for 20% discount off the regular price. This kayak is a good deal at the regular price and a bargain at the discount price. There is a 3-year warranty.

At 1/3 the price (new for new) of my Hurricane Santee 116 Sport it's every bit as good, if not better in some areas. Ergonomics are very similar (cockpit opening is the same size), weight is about the same, but seat is more comfortable. There is no closed storage, but plenty of open storage under the decks for day trips. Tracks well and turns easier and is about 2 ft shorter. The Hurricane may be better on open water because of the long keel. The Sound has a tri-hull, but looks almost flat. When paddling hard, you can hear the water coming off the squarish stern. The Sound is roto-molded high-density linear polyethelene, but is sure a lot lighter (under 40 lbs) then any others I've seen. It flexes about as much as the Hurricane's Trylon, and probably won't hold up to white water kayaking. Good for slow moving rivers and small ponds and lakes.

There are no sharp edges as others have described, maybe now due to Perception manufacturing it.

Danuu Fishing Seats: