Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pyranha > Fusion Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Fusion Kayak by Pyranha

Rated: 9.17/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

08-04-2014
Submitted by: GDSend Email

Very comfortable feel. Tracks well even without skeg. With a skeg it's rock solid even in a stiff cross wind. Did not try it on whitewater but turned easily and seem very stable

06-06-2014
Submitted by: MesaFallsSend Email

New to kayaking and this boat is everything and more. I was concerned that the 10'2" was too long and large (M/connect 30) but when it came it is like a fighter jet. The length and width are perfect for cruising or ww serious rapids; plus camp for week. I am up to class 3 and have not flipped yet. I am a coordinated person and athletic; so if you're game this is the boat for you.
It's really cool. I am 100% satisfied.

07-29-2013

Pyranha Fusion Connect 30 evaluation after 4 years of heavy, year round use in rivers and lakes, white water, on extended, self-supported wilderness trips and on flat water:

The Pyranha Fusion is a good design and is meets the requirements of a cross over boat. The molding material and molding process parameters gives the boat a sturdy, rigid feel that appears to be thick and solid yet lightweight. The no glare surface treatment is functional and gives the boat a not cheap appearance. The hull design performs well in white water with the skeg up and the boat tracks nicely in flat water with the skeg down. The boat is fast and responsive. The deck design allows for ample leg room, sheds water well and allows the paddler to not make contact with the deck with knuckles while paddling. The combing design allows for a good skirt seal. The grab handles are sturdy and comfortable. The Connect 30 seating is comfortable and the footplate is solid. Entry and exit are not difficult.

The ratchet seat adjustment system is a quality design but requires engineering attention. The ratchet can slip under load allowing the backrest to abruptly move out of the desired position. The ratchet unlock mechanism has a random, nuisance issue of not releasing the strap one position at a time. The strap sticks then can quickly come out of the ratchet system requiring reinsertion to the first catch rib. This issue has occurred on one side only. The skeg activation chord works smoothly and is positioned well for ease of use (I do have a suggestion for a design improvement for the manufacturer).

The rear hatch has ample room to stow enough gear for an extended trip. The skeg box is in a good location, out of the way of the hatch opening and is robust. The hatch seal / cover is water tight and does not implode in white water

Overall I am pleased with the Pyranha Fusion C30 performance, appearance and design and price. It is my "go to" of all my boats for most of my paddling trips.

07-26-2013

The Fusion works well for several purposes. It works as a short boat for narrow, twisty streams, as a whitewater boat (I haven't done higher than Class II in it, but I'm sure it's fine in class III), and as a flatwater boat with the skeg down it tracks reasonably well in wind and waves. The hatch is water-tight (unlike some other hybrid boats), and you can do overnight touring if you pack light. I opted for the Connect 30 outfitting (same as Pyranha's WW boats), but if people of different heights will be paddling the boat, it takes longer to adjust the more robust foot brace on the Connect 30 than on the River Tour outfitting. Hybrid crossover boats are always a compromise, but the Fusion does a lot of things reasonably well.

07-18-2013
Submitted by: bpSend Email

The Pyranha Fusion kayak is awesome. I love that the boat is light enough for me to get on top of my car down to the water. I also love that the cockpit is on the smaller side, I feel that it gives me more control over the boat.

12-18-2012

I have had my Fusion for almost 3 years. I am 73 and kayak twice weekly year round. I have had the kayak on class II rapids and flat water. It performs well in both. the skeg keeps it tracking well in flat water. My GPS tells me my moving average is 3mph. Most of the time I'm at 3.5. When the wind is up and there are white caps you will get wet and work hard going into the wind. I have found that as long as you keep your speed up it does well in most conditions.

10-29-2012
Submitted by: EmmanuelSend Email

Very good cross over kayak. I use this Fusion touring kayak standard size since almost 2 years. I have been in Mediterranean Sea coast for about 30 times in calm or rough conditions.
    Plus:
  • Short to enter in my storage and in my car (peugeot partner)
  • Rigid and robust
  • Track well when skeg is down
  • Very maneuvrable
  • Fast for a short kayak (avg: 7km/h during 2 hours)
  • Comfortable
  • Straight in surf

Minus:

• Hatch is difficult to close
  • In windy condition (15-25knots), it turns to the wind

10-10-2012

I bought the Fusion a couple of years ago for using in the ocean as a rock garden boat. The high volume is great for punching through ocean waves. The skeg is great for tracking on a long paddle or windy day. It has the speed to keep up with cruising sea kayaks. The plastic is hard and stands up to sharp rocks. And its super stable when getting thrown around in waves
Watch YouTube video of experience: www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3p4fRfrf_4

04-13-2010

I have had my Fusion for one month now. I debated hard on the LL XP 9 or the Fusion. I paddled the XP 10 and it seemed a little large for me. I went ahead and bought the Fusion without much paddle time in it. MAN I LOVE IT.

The cockpit is much more narrow than the XP 10. IMO, it is not as stable as the XP series, but is still very stable. Where the Fusion surpasses the XP is in speed and tracking. The XP felt like a big bath tub to me. The Fusion feels like a Formula 1 car. Fast and nimble and tracks great with the skeg up or down. The skeg is not as friendly to use as the XP but it doesn't take long to feel comfortable with the lift rope system. I agree with the comments about the hatch being hard to get on and take off, but that is also what helps it stay completely water proof (XP seems to leak a bit.)

I wrote this review for anyone who is thinking about getting one of the cross over yaks as there is not much info for them in a head to head comparison. Here is one review that I found helpful in my decision:

In my opinion, if you are tired of just paddling small portions of the river and would like a true WW boat that will take you the distance without working you to death, the FUSION is your boat, hands down.

01-13-2010

Update of my review from this summer.
Still love this boat, but I have 1 complaint - The hatch cover is very difficult to put on in cold weather. It took 2 of us some time and effort to get it closed again after a lunch break in near freezing weather.

08-28-2009

I have paddled both the small version and the standard, obviously you will choose depending on how big you are and the sort of water you will be paddling; I got the standard version first with the connect 30 outfitting as that was all that was available at the time. The quality of construction is superb with very nice cockpit outfitting, the new flip top is OK but if you intend doing any serious whitewater go for the connect 30.

The kayak is very agile and forgiving, stability is high, with the skeg down it is very easy to hold course on flat water and helps a bit when surfing standing waves. Personally I felt the kayak could be smaller as it felt quite high in volume, of course after I get the standard model they announce a small model, unlike the Dagger Approach 9 this is still a kayak most people will be able to fit into, I'm 6ft with size 11 feet and find it sill quite roomy, the volume is 250 instead of 300ish on the bigger model, the kayak is lighter to paddle, easier to edge, a bit more agile, still stable, its an inch narrower, the hatch is round instead of oval and is easier to get on and off.

Overall a fantastic bit of kit, the small version being my favorite by far.

06-03-2009

I love this boat! This is the boat that I had hoped the Dagger Approach would be. This is the best crossover boat on the market if you want WW ability. It has lots of rocker unlike my Approach. It's reminiscent of a WW boat of days of yore, only much better. Better harder plastic, modern out-fitting and a hull that is really 3 configurations. In the Bow it is a very shallow V to divide the water when under way and to give some tracking stability. Mid ship is a narrow semi-flat hull for fast turning and surfing and the Stern is a somewhat flat displacement hull with rounded edges similar to a play/river runner for good carving and little grabbyness. Then you drop the skeg and it tracks very well.

Now I have only had this out on class 2 so far, but it is now my go to boat for those conditions. It has a feel reminiscent of my H3, but without grabby edges. On bunny waves it is a carving fiend and it punches through and over the medium waves I have put it through so far. There might be some comparison to Dagger's Green Boat, but I have never paddled that boat.

The only negative for me is the cockpit is slightly too small, but I am a large person (5'7" 275lbs) so a smaller person would do fine.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!