Product Reviews > Canoes > We-no-nah Canoe > Wee Lassie Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Wee Lassie Canoe by We-no-nah Canoe

Rated: 8.75/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

02-17-2014
Submitted by: rick kSend Email

This is a really fine solo canoe. It is a great transition from kayak (Chesapeake 16) to canoe for someone, like me, getting up in years. It is reasonably stable (initial and secondary)-- certainly if you have kayaked before -- and is reasonably agile and quick. very light weight (we are talking one hand pick-up and easy two hand car topping.

The kevlar is rugged enough for my use, on the St Lucie River in Florida. Should I ever need skid plates, you can get them and put them on easily enough. Although it has a decent metal footrest for comfort and paddle stroke support, there is not much else. The seat is attached to the floor for good balance, but it is uncovered and there are few good padding options--although I use the seals pad. there is a wooden slatted back rest that works fine for me, but I may pad it soon. No accoutrements like cupholder (and I'm not about to drill a hole to make one) or even bow and stern straps.

Very good boat but not perfect. I can and do easily use a 230cm high angle kayak paddle with great success

06-29-2013
Submitted by: OliverSend Email

Wenonah Wee Lassie, 12' 6", in Kevlar ultra light layup. I wanted to write about this little known gem because I have found it to be a great surprise - the perfect pack canoe for flat water and portaging. I have had extensive lake time on the Wenonah Vagabond,in both royalex and Kevlar ultra light as well as the Old Town Guide 117 in poly. All good boats in their own right. But for a flat water solo, IMHO, none of them can beat the Wee Lassie. The seat is mounted to the floor of the boat, and is raised to an acceptable canoe paddling height. I did not have any issues adjusting to the seat. It has a comfortable contour and comes with a backrest that's great for fishing.

As for performance, the WL tracks as well as the Vagabond, glides as well, turns as easily,has better secondary stability, and handles 40mph wind gusts without being blown away, also better than the Vagabond does. Compared to the OT, there is no negative comparison, except on price. Easier to paddle, better tracking and glide, more comfortable seat, and at 29 lbs., a joy to transport.

At $1299, it's a bargain among solo Kevlar canoes. Try it if you're looking for a solo for fishing or just for a great, fun flat water boat.

06-05-2009
Submitted by: sphSend Email

I bought my Wee Lassie last year, and used it extensively to flyfish for bluegills. Normally I used a single bladed freestyle-type wood paddle, but would bring along a two piece take-apart kayak paddle and put it behind me in case I encountered windy conditions or needed to paddle efficiently upstream.

This boat is a joy to paddle with a single bladed paddle for easy maneuverability, and good tracking. With a kayak paddle it helps make up for the lack of glide of a 12 foot boat. I think the Wee Lassie is a fine addition to any paddler's boathouse.

I also paddled and fished from a Wenonah Sandpiper. Better to fish from with more room and stability. I installed Wenonah's adjustable height/tilt seat and it really helped. I only gave the Wee Lassie an 8 because I didn't like the seat and seatback. It is hard, and the slats tend to hook on my life vest and also on my flyfishing vest. (I paddle with an open vest) Also, the adjustable footbrace wouldn't stay adjusted. I tried new larger adjustment knobs and eventually one stripped out (it had a cheap bond between plastic of knob and the embedded nut).

If you could fix the uncomfortable seat and seatback and put good knobs on the footbrace, I'd give it a 10. The seat is also fastened in the hull by two studs which are molded in the hull bottom and protrude upward about an inch. This prevents removing the seat to install a kneeling pad. I always wanted to try paddling from a kneeling position but didn't want to damage my pad. Why Wenonah didn't use molded in nuts and thumb-tightened bolts is a mystery, because it would make this versatile boat even more so.

05-28-2009
Submitted by: CASend Email

A wonderful boat and fun to paddle. Fast, comfortable, light, and beautiful. My first Wee Lassie had multiple small hull leaks from the manufacturing process. The dealer replaced it with a new boat and it is fine. Wenonah needs to be more careful and check their boats for leaks.

Piragis Northwoods Company
Free Shipping on New Canoes from Piragis Northwoods Company or pick up in Ely, MN and get $100 off