Product Reviews > Kayaks > Native Watercraft > Marvel 10 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Marvel 10 Kayak by Native Watercraft

07-03-2013

I'm having so much fun with my 10' Marvel. We've always had ocean-going kayaks that needed two people to lift on top of car. I'm only 5 feet, but can carry it and slide it into the back of my wagon easily. It is so easy to paddle, is quick and is great for the narrow twists and turns in a marsh creek.

I love the removable raised seat, and have taken it to the beach many times. I was even able to sit my four year old grandson in front of me and paddle both of us down the creek. I put all beginner guests in it and they love it too.

06-27-2009
Submitted by: RiaSend Email

I recently secured a finalist position in the "Wife-of-the-Year Contest" by purchasing my husband a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 for his birthday. He is returning the favor by buying me a kayak of my own. Before investing his hard-earned cash, however, he let me try out his boat and arranged for me to demo 3 others. (I'd like to give a shout-out to Greg with Southwest Paddle Sports of Houston for making that a great experience.)

To put things in perspective, I am 50 years old, 5'4", 120 lbs., and had never kayaked before. I want a boat primarily for recreational paddling, nature photography, and to keep an eye on my husband when he is out in his boat. My first thought was, "If the boat is too big and heavy, I won't often want to go to the trouble of hauling it to the water." While the Ultimate 12 is easy for my husband to handle, it is too heavy for me to lift on my own. So, I opted to try out the Ultimate 9.5, the Hurricane Santee Sport 116, and the Marvel 10, also by Native Watercraft. (All 3 passed the lift test: I could lift them without throwing any body parts out of alignment.)

The Santee Sport is, quite frankly, a sexy boat. It has a sleek shape, a high-gloss finish, and comes in an array of seductive colors. It also has a generous cockpit opening, making it easy to get in and out, although I found it to be the least stable of these 3 stable boats. It also is easy to move forward and glides well at speed, but tends to drift a bit when slowing down.

After having tried out my husband's Ultimate 12, I had high hopes for the Ultimate 9.5. For those 3 or 4 people who know even less about kayaks than I do, the Ultimate is a hybrid between a kayak and a canoe, having an open hull, with the exception of bow and stern flotation. Advantages of the open hull design include easy-access storage and the ability to accommodate a tripod for nature photography. The pontoon design of the hull makes it a very stable kayak. However, I found the Ultimate 9.5 disappointing. Paddling it was like running a slalom. Every stroke sent the bow around in the opposite direction. While I concede that I haven't begun to perfect my stroke, I didn't have that problem with the other 2 boats.

The Marvel 10 is a deck boat that also has a large cockpit opening for easy access. It feels very stable, is fast and easy to move forward, tracks very well, and turns on a dime. Additionally, it has easily adjustable foot pegs and the same super-comfortable seat as the Ultimate. I have since taken the Marvel 10 out for several hours straight, and I'm not only still alive, I'm not even in pain! The boat felt like and extension of my body and was so easy to move and control that it freed me up to fully enjoy my surroundings.

I can heartily recommend this kayak, even to any old dog eager to learn a new trick!

05-20-2009
Submitted by: bjsSend Email

I've had my Marvel 10 for about a month now, and that time has confirmed that I made the right choice. This is a fine recreational kayak, made from rotomolded poly. I tried a half dozen other boats, including the Hurricane Santee Sport--which I wanted to be my favorite--and came back to the Marvel.

Some of the other boats, when compared to the Marvel 10, were nearly as good, but in two areas it absolutely came out ahead. The areas are related:
First, the seat is a modified beach chair. it has a aircraft aluminum frame, and it sits a bit higher up off the floor of the kayak than some, but its mesh material means you're never going to be sitting on a waterlogged seat. there's also plenty of back support.

Secondly, the seat is removable. It weighs 5.5 lbs, so if you want to lighten the boat to load it on the roof rack, the weight goes from 40 lbs to 34.5. It's a breeze to load. I'm 5'4" and I can even hoist it onto my Highlander from the side, as well as the back.

For a short boat, it tracks amazingly well. Last weekend on the lake I had no trouble keeping up with a Necky Eliza (which is FIVE feet longer) and another sea kayak. The Marvel is definitely not a bigtime touring boat, but its advantages as listed make it a fine choice for me.

Rendezvous River Sports