Product Reviews > Canoes > Esquif > Prelude Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Prelude Canoe by Esquif

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

08-08-2013

I've now been paddling the Prelude for four years and am increasing my rating of it to a 10. I now like the bulkhead system better than any other seating system I've had in a canoe. It's comfortable, secure, and yet very easy and fast to get in and out of.

The Prelude's chines actually soften over time as the bottom of the boat begins to round a little. This actually makes it even easier to surf--you can recover more easily from a dropped edge. The boat has held up well from 50+ days of paddling a year. The hull has lots of scratches and nicks, but is sound. There is some oil canning under the seat, but it doesn't seem to hurt performance.

I'm so sold on the boat, I already have a spare tucked up in the rafters of my garage in case I crack the hull at some point.

04-03-2009

The Prelude is a great boat. Very responsive it leans very quick to either side and has excellent secondary. It accelerates fast for a canoe its size. The boat's narrowness (26" at the top of the gunwhales) makes for good vertical forward strokes. Hard chines enable precise carving for eddy catching and peel outs. On waves, it's a surf machine. It's reasonably stable when full of water.

This boat is rotomolded and made of polyethylene, the same plastic they use for whitewater kayaks. This makes it tougher than Royalex boats and allows it to slide more easily on rocks. It comes with an already installed foam bulkhead saddle. The seat is 10" high, too high for such a short, narrow canoe. I carved the seat down to less than 8" high.

I'd give the boat a 10 if they could find some way to offer it with adjustable thigh straps instead of the foam bulkhead. Overall, I'm very happy with the Prelude.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!