Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Tribute 12.0 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tribute 12.0 Kayak by Perception

Rated: 9.14/10 Based On: 14 Reviews

Tribute 12.0 Kayak by Perception

Length: 12' 0" - Width: 24.50" - Starting at: $769.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Perception Logo

07-09-2014

I love my Tribute! It is my go-to boat for most of our creek and river paddles. It also can compete with bigger boats when we lake paddle.

As far as fit goes, yes it is marketed to a smaller person. I am 5'6" and weigh 140#. With the addition of 1 layer of thigh paddling on the inside where my thighs/knees touch the side of the boat, it is a perfect fit. With 10-15# of gear it seems to be the perfect weight for optimal boat performance. The cockpit opening is not real big. In order to not scrape my shins when getting out, I have to release the seat back although I do keep the seat as much forward as possible because that balances my weight so well.

Earlier this year I took this boat on a 5 mile WW trip that consisted of 100-300 yard standing waves that were class II-III. Some of the waves were about 4 feet tall and when I went thru them the breaking waves knocked me in the face and chest. The boat handled superbly and I did not swim. It will handle equally well in lake waves. I feel very confident and comfortable in this boat. Another big plus is that I can easily pick it up, sling it on my shoulder and carry it over uneven terrain.

I would not recommend this boat to anyone much bigger than I am.

03-27-2014

I have been paddling my Tribute for close to 2 years now. I have the thermoform/airlight version and am 5'6" and weigh 140#. With a bit of knee/thigh padding this boat fits me like a glove. It is my "go to" boat for most of our larger creeks and river. It can also 'hold its own" when I paddle flatwater.

I find that it has ample footroom for whatever footwear I choose. The seat has ample adjustments and works well with a nylon skirt. The back hatch now has some leakage but this is new and I plan to reseal it this spring. Initial stability is good and secondary stability is great. Turns well and takes up to class 3 waves like a pro.

I can easily toss this boat over my shoulder and transport 1/2 mile to the put in. The low volume of this boat means that in never interferes with my stroke. There is ample room behind the seat for lunch/dry boxes.

08-23-2013
Submitted by: SpartiateSend Email

While I understood that this boat is designed for women and smaller paddlers, I (5'10"/210 man) bought it because I like light, low-volume boats, and it costs a half or a third of long boats meeting that description. Though ~50% larger than the target demographic, I nevertheless find it roomy, and the freeboard more than ample. I have at least three more inches of adjustment margin on the foot rests, and it is the only kayak I've ever paddled where my legs don't "fall asleep".

It doesn't track like a 16 footer, of course, and it's hull-speed limited (take a few quick power strokes and you'll start climbing the bow wave), but that's just physics. I agree with those who'd prefer a bow bulkhead to minimize swamping; on the plus side, the stern bulkhead and hatch, punching through surf that broke over my head (and capsized me several times) never leaked a drop.

The biggest drawback for me is the big plastic seatback that prevents proper use of a skirt (the front seals well and keeps waves out of my lap, but anything from the beam or stern pours right in).

07-27-2013

The Tribute 12 is a versatile, sporty kayak for smaller paddlers. We bought the plastic version after trying a few competitors. Nice acceleration, tracking and glide, easy to turn. It lacks a front hatch, but that's its only drawback so far. It fits both my 5'7", 130 lb. wife and me at 5'8", 170.

06-03-2013
Submitted by: AndrewSend Email

I'm a male, 49, 5'11", 145#, size 10 shoe, 30" waist. This kayak was made for me. The seat adjusts for the paddler to make this boat "fit" you. I have had several other kayaks over the years and this one really works well for me. Light to carry, easy to paddle/turn/tracks straight. The bottom rear of the kayak is straight - almost like a molded in skeg. If you have a bigger foot or want to physically move the seat toward the rear because of the thigh pads then you have about 4 1/2" of space to move the seat back. You will have to drill new holes but it can be done. By the way, this kayak might have been designed for women but my p***s hasn't fallen off.

This review is for all the slimmer guys that ask "will I fit in this boat?". Yes , like a foot in a comfortable shoe if you like a snugger fit. Not tight, just snug (responsive). I would rate this a 10 if there was a front hatch... not for storage but for buoyancy if the boat should ever roll. I might add a forward bulkhead only for this reason.

09-06-2012

This is a terrific kayak on lakes and rivers. It is very responsive so is more of an intermediate kayak. Very lightweight (41 lbs) for a 12 ft kayak. Very comfortable kayak.
12' Length, 24.5" Width, 240 Max Capacity. 41 lbs Weight

08-24-2011

Best kayak ever! Granted, I haven't paddled every kayak there is out there but for a plastic kayak, this one is perfect! Lightweight, perfect fit for me (5'5, 130lbs), very very stable, turns easily and tracks very well. I average 3.7 mph on this little boat. I've never gotten swamped by waves no matter how much those pesky seadooers try.

This thing loves waves and will ride right over them. Too much fun! I'll only trade up for the aerolite version. Wish it had a bow bulkhead but that's the only drawback.
Love it, love it, love it!

08-09-2011
Submitted by:

I am 5'9", weigh 130 lbs, and have shoe size 10 (US Men's). I have paddled this boat (poly version) in up to 7' high, frequently crashing chops, and it performed perfectly.

06-20-2011
Submitted by: CarolSend Email

I was fully prepared to love this kayak, based on the reviews. I am a small framed woman, 115 lbs, 5' 4" so I thought it would be perfect. However, the kayak did not work for me because I was unable to get my knees far enough apart in the cockpit to provide a comfortable fit. My knees had to be straight out from my body, whereas I think the ideal position for legs in a kayak is like at the 10:00 and 2:00 position so that the legs are at an angle to the body to provide stability and maneuverability. I wish I had been able to make this kayak work because I liked everything else about it but the fit. Tracked well, lightweight, easy to handle.

05-30-2011
Submitted by: Tim Gormo - Rating: 10 of 10
This review courtesy of www.outdoorplay.com

My girlfriend and I both loved this kayak when we tried it at a demo day. She's a complete newbie, but tried several kayaks that day. She raved about the Tribute so much that I had to try it, not knowing at the time that it's marketed primarily to women. Now, I think "Who Cares?". The Tribute tracked and glided far better than other similar sit-in's we tried, coming close to the 14 and 16-foot tourers. It felt racy - I couldn't paddle hard enough to make it "plow" water, and turning was very easy. If you're on the small side like us (5'7" 150lb and 5'1" 115), you owe it to yourself to try this kayak.

05-30-2011
Submitted by: Margaret - Rating: 8 of 10
This review courtesy of www.outdoorplay.com

I paddle on the 3 rivers of Pittsburgh, PA, and this kayak is perfect for it. The water is usually flat, though this boat has been great on choppy days too. When I was in the market for a kayak, it was really important to me that I be able to lift it and load it onto my car by myself, and I can do that with this boat. Tracks well, is extremely stable, and is moderately fast. Though I have yet to try it, I suspect this boat would work out great for a short camping trip. Highly recommended for recreational paddling.

05-20-2010

I tried a few kayaks, but found this one fit me best. I wanted to try it due to all the great reviews it had from smaller women. I love it. I don't find it's fast but it is stable and tracks well. It is built for smaller paddlers and I like the fact that I can handle it myself it only weighs 40 lbs.

08-27-2009
Submitted by: meganSend Email

I think I've found the perfect kayak. I'm a woman 5'10", 140# and have room to wiggle when I'm sitting. The Tribute is stable on water, but not so much that it's tedious. I move fast and straight on slow rivers and yet can enjoy whitewater. This kayak feels really graceful. Storage area offers space enough for a backpack. I have no complaints, I'm more than satisfied.

03-23-2009
Submitted by: JasonSend Email

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!