Product Reviews > Kayaks > Liquidlogic Kayaks > Remix XP9 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Remix XP9 Kayak by Liquidlogic Kayaks

Rated: 9.2/10 Based On: 25 Reviews

08-10-2013
Submitted by: A.GriffinSend Email

I recently sold my Remix XP10 to buy a Remix XP9 as I felt the kayak was to big and didn't suit my weight. When buying your Remix xp9/10 always check the weight guide lines on the website, these are very important as they are there for a reason.

The Remix XP9 suits a paddler about 5-6 foot tall (no more) and about 45-100kg weight, the Remix XP9 is about 9.2 foot long and is very comfortable kayak, but the back rest cannot be put up when using a neoprene slash deck. Both the Remix xp 9/10 track well in flats but plows through the water and is quiet hard to keep at speed.

When the Remix XPs get into white water they are deadly, the handling and control is awesome and they are also very easy to roll. The back compartment is large for a kayak and you would be surprised what you would fit in there, but saying that you will pay on the flats due to the extra weight.

The XPs are extremely stable!! and the straps on the front and back are very handy for fishing. This kayak is excellent for a beginners and well experienced kayaker, this boat is also ideal for an instructors as it is very stable and has a medical kit behind the seat and a large cock pit for quick entry and exit. This is an all round superb kayak as its great for touring, fishing, flats (if you take your time) and most importantly whitewater.

These kayaks are expensive but a good investment as the keep there value even with wear and tear, second-hand you could pick them up at about 500 euro with some gear.

08-01-2013

I have had this boat since 2011 and I love it. I got it as a graduation present and chose it because I wanted a boat that would fit my paddling habits without requiring me to get a second boat anytime soon. I like to paddle in whitewater, mostly class II & III, sometimes class IV, but I also live with people who do a lot of lakes and flat water rivers and wanted to be able to go out with them, and as anyone who's tried to paddle a whitewater specific boat knows, it's really not worth the effort required to keep it going straight. So the Remix XP9 is perfect for this, it handles well in the rapids, and in my experience it feels like a good beginner boat, it has good stability, I've only once ever flipped the boat while actually out and about, sadly the time I spent practicing my rolls was useless as I tipped it while trying to stand up in it trying to grab something out of a branch above me.

As I said this is a great boat for someone who wants to do both whitewater and flat water and can only get one boat. If you are primarily going to use it for flat water and boat with others who have much faster boats than you I'd consider getting something else as this boat is really slow compared to my friends day touring boats, I'm always having to paddle harder to catch up. Also this boat is loud when going top speed on flat water, as it displaces a lot of water, plus the skew makes a slight clacking sound when down. Everyone calls me the tug boat.

You can fit a ton of stuff in this boat, it's great for kayak camping. The most ideal use for this boat is for long river trips, both day trips and camping ones, really anything where you're going on enough of the river to go through both the rapids and the flat stretches in between. It is perfect for this, while I'm always the one catching up to my friends on lakes, when on river trips they're catching up to me as they portage around some of the whitewater their touring boats can't handle and I just pull my skeg up and paddle right through enjoying all the terrain the river has to offer.

Also the seating in liquid logic boats is really comfortable. I'd look for newer model year boats as they have a better console for holding drinks and such than mine does (I think I have a 2010 boat)

Oh and if you are paddling a lot of flatwater get the high back seat accessory, it is way more comfortable when you'll be in your boat for long stretches than the low back.

07-25-2013

Enjoy my Remix XP9 very much. Well built, comfortable w. good lower back support, skeg/fin allows for good paddling on lakes in down position, good paddling on rivers in up position. Plan to be using on white water later this summer.

07-15-2013
Submitted by: albertoSend Email

Have kayaked the Remix XP9 for over 3 years, as I started running class 1 Rapids at the beginning, and I must say this is the most stable River Runner that I have used and have used Pyranha Fusion.

The Remix is the best River Runner hands down, and it will meet you more than halfway with your skills sets. Am now running Class 3 and 4 Rapids without having a eskimo roll, now that is what I call having a boat is well designed. The only negative is the silly design of the storage compartment.

The fellow who wrote negatives, must be a newbie or has not weathered the likes of Tuckaseegee, Nantahala, and Lower and Upper Green River. We do not sit on a kayak... We wear it

03-31-2013
Submitted by: KevinSend Email

I'm not going to re-post what most have already said. My dry hatch solution..... continuous bead of clear silicone in the channel of the hatch. I knew of the issue before my purchase. Did this before the boat ever touch water. I have had zero issues. The silicone wasn't my idea, but came from a friend that owns the same kayak.

07-17-2012

Labored over "inny" or an "outty" kayak and wanted it to be light enough to carry. I have a VW convertible that has a fabricated Thule Goal post rack instead of a trailer. This is a great all around boat, speedy, durable and light enough. MOC Kayak's father & son duo Danny & Dan were most helpful.

07-13-2012
Submitted by: MarthaSend Email

Addendum to previous review (05-18-2012):
Took my XP9 down the Rivanna. Loved it. I was really pleased with its performance on the small rapids on the section we went down. No water in the cargo hold, and my lid has a line that connects it to the boat, so I'm not sure why other people's cargo lids fall in the water. No trouble with the boat at all.

07-11-2012

Expensive boat with several unacceptable design problems.
  1. Back band offers no lumbar support. Paddling becomes painful in less than an hour.
  2. Add-on accessory back rest is made with a flimsy overly flexible piece of plastic that provides a bit more back support but makes use of neoprene spray skirt impossible.
  3. Hatch leaks in spite of repairs and inspection by the dealer.
  4. Hatch cover is held on by a pathetic, cheap piece of rubber that broke the first day the boat was put into the water.
  5. The two 7-ft linear channels molded into the underside of the hull make the boat difficult to turn in moving water, although it will spin readily in calm water. In shallow, rocky rivers such as most of ours in Texas, the channels hang up on most rocks when the boat is moving laterally to the current over rocks.
  6. Boat is very slow, and the bow plows when paddling hard.
On the plus side, the XP-9 is a very pretty boat, so your photos of it should look real good. The plastic material seems to very durable and strong and should take a lot of punishment. And, you should be able to buy one on the used boat market at bargain basement prices. In fact, I'll sell you mine...

06-22-2012
Submitted by: RonSend Email

I just bought myself a XP9 for fathers day. I have wanted one for a year or so I did a lot of research both in reviews and actually trying them out before I bought the XP9 I haven't taken it whitewatering yet but plan to soon... The XP tracks good even with the skeg up and rolling it is easy. I've never taken a whitewater course just watched a couple of videos on YouTube but I was rolling the XP9 on my 3rd attempt.

I only have a few complaints: the hatch system sucks it not watertight at all. The first time I practiced rolling I went to shore to have lunch and much to my surprise the back and my lunch were soaked. There was a lot of water in the compartment! Plus if you take the hatch off while on the water, the lid almost always ends up in the water.

I also have a Old Town Dirigo106 the hatch system on that is a 1000 times better the XP9 it has 2 locking lever cams, a rubber gasket to keep it watertight plus has hinges so when you open the hatch it doesn't fall in the water. I've tried to roll my Dirigo many times before I found out it wasn't designed to roll - it has no knee braces to keep you in the kayak. Even with all my failed attempts to roll the Dirigo, I never had water in the back

My other problem was that the plastic rivets that they used to hold down the badass seating where placed too close to the hip pad pockets so that I couldn't get the padding down far enough to make contact with my hips. So I had to pop the rivets out in order to get the padding to fit right plus there was another rivet that dug into my tailbone so i had to pop that one out too

One thing they could add would be a bungee cord paddle holder on the side of the kayak there are after market ones that I can buy but would be nice if they put one on

05-18-2012
Submitted by: MarthaSend Email

I've had my XP9 about 3 weeks now, and love it.
My first real experience in a kayak was a whitewater class and I'm still getting over the fear that came out of that experience. I saw more of the bottom of the James River than on top of the water. Got T-rescued more than anyone else in the class, and even rode down part of one rapid holding on to someone else's boat because my knee had gotten out of the knee-brace, and I couldn't flip it up.

Even with that experience and fear, I really want to do whitewater. This made my kayak purchasing decision much easier, I chose to get something that could do anything that was out there from flatwater to class IV-V. A crossover kayak fit the bill perfectly, but which one?

I tried them all at Appomattox River Company's demo day in Farmville, VA. (usually in June) I narrowed it down from Piranha, Dagger, Jackson & Liquidlogic to Jackson and Liquidlogic. The Dagger and Piranha were uncomfortable, and really didn't fit me. I think they are made for skinnier people, so they were eliminated after one test-paddle.

I was having a hard time deciding between the Jackson and the Liquidlogic, then the Jackson's skeg broke. That made my choice much easier - I had been leaning toward the XP9 anyway, but Jackson's broken skeg made the choice much easier.

I made the right choice. This boat is helping me overcome my fear. It turns on a dime, and will spin like a top when I want it to, but it is stable and not quite as wobbly as a whitewater boat. When I trust the boat totally, I have a friend who gives private whitewater lessons, and he will work with me.

Another thing about the XP9, it comes in all different colors. I have a pink one, it's a dark rose pink, really pretty, and people who see it really like it. It is also really comfortable to sit in. I have some lower back issues and wanted something very comfortable to sit in. I love the seat in the XP9.

I would suggest this boat to anyone who wants a comfortable boat with lots of cargo space, that will do anything from a calm lake to class IV-V rapids. I've only had one problem with it, and that is getting in and out of it, but that is due to my flexibility and balance, and really has nothing to do with the boat.

03-30-2012
Submitted by: Mark KSend Email

Positives:
  • One of the things that sold me was that the XP uses ABS Plastic which is what they use on their white-water kayaks and it is probably one of the more punishment ready kayaks out there.
  • The Bad Ass Outfitting is, without much argument, the best in the industry.
  • It is said that the materials used are supposedly more resistant to fading especially the yellow models.
  • The two channels on the bottom of the boat and the drop down skeg allow for surprisingly good tracking for a boat this length and width. Also, the skeg has two features I liked.
  • The Remix skeg operates with a handle to the right of the cockpit that is very accessible and swivels forward to deploy the skeg and backward to raise it. The Pyranha has a skeg for tracking as well but is designed w/ a pull string that may eventually break from abuse or just getting wet all the time etc… Not a big deal but I liked the LL design better.
  • The skeg on the Remix is spring loaded so if you forget its down and hit a rock it will automatically raise rather than break or bend rendering the skeg useless. I believe the Fusion skeg locks in place.
  • The Remix deck rigging / bulkheads are designed with a thick foam material and the front can be removed running all the way from the bow back to the front edge of the cockpit. This design seems to be more substantial than some of the others I looked at.

The Downsides:

• Although the stern hatch is very easy to get to the plastic latch in the very back is not a great design in my opinion and mine already broke. You can most likely find straps that could be installed should this happen but don't feel it would be necessary had it been designed a little better. With that said, even with it broken it still hasn't caused a leakage problem yet with doing anything which is a good thing.
  • The skeg wire in the XP10 is out of the way in the storage compartment while the XP9's runs in the center of the opening. The size of the boat most likely limits where it could be run but its a small issue if you are concerned more about cargo space.

07-27-2011
Submitted by: markSend Email

I am a novice paddler and purchased an XP-9. I have read several reviews of this boat and the XP-10. I was surprised to find that the glowing positive reviews I read have matched my experience.

This is a very forgiving and confidence inspiring boat. Excellent quality. The skeg is brilliant; move the lever forward (downstream) to lower the skeg, or back, (upstream) to raise the skeg. The boat changes from super maneuverable, to straight tracking. In one 37-mile stretch on the Rogue river I successfully navigated 47 serious rapids, class II to III in fast flow and swirly currents. This is with less than 2 hours practice in ww. Somehow this boat danced me safely downstream under conditions I never thought I could tackle. A Seals 2 XL skirt worked great. I did make a plastic back support that I can velcro to the back band enabling me to extend the height of the rear cushion. This gives me the option of a low or high back support. Sweet. Comfortable now for a few hours. The rounded bow bounces off rocks and the boat accelerates well. And nice cargo capacity. I am 5'10, 180 lbs and it fits me well. The XP 10 was too big for me.

05-30-2011
Submitted by: Jason - Rating: 9 of 10
This review courtesy of www.outdoorplay.com

GREAT kayak. I'm tall 6'5" and have very little flexibility, but this thing is REALLY comfortable. I've honestly never sat in a more comfortable kayak. The skeg does a great job of keeping it pointed straight and makes a world of difference in the wind. With it retracted the thing turns without effort. The packing, fit, and finish are nearly perfect. Only negatives are: It's a little on the slow side on open water, but obviously that's not what it was designed for. The storage space in the back gets water in it quickly, especially if you roll.

05-30-2011
Submitted by: shonuffkayak - Rating: 10 of 10
This review courtesy of www.outdoorplay.com

Have had my XP 9 for just bout a year; it is awesome. Run class 2 - 3 whitewater, fished, camped and played all out of this boat; LL knows what they are doing. Great all around boat nice to have a whitewater boat with storage. This is a boat I will have and use for many years to come would love to get a 10 for extended trips

03-26-2011
Submitted by: Mike B.Send Email

This kayak (I have the XP-10) is awesome. I floated it about 15 days last year. All on moving water. I took the boat to Indian Creek in southwest Missouri for the first time on the water. It handled the 24-30 inch drops great. The boat is not cheap but I don't think you can get a much better kayak. Its so responsive it borders on being "twitchy". When you get this boat into fast water it will do everything you want it to do. It also will carry a big payload and has good storage.

03-23-2011
Submitted by: bryan kSend Email

I recently purchased the xp 9,and have had it on the flat,and in some moderate fast current.The kayak is perfect. It glides very well on the flats, and with the drop skeg it tracks very nicely. You can instantly tell when you lift the skeg back up...the boat just starts to spin(unless you paddle out of it).

One thing that bothered me was the center wall support that has to remain in the cockpit.I thought this was for shipping,and initially removed it. Even paddled without it several times, and seemed fine, however after inquiring about the seat track which popped up while sitting in the kayak L.L. stated that the center wall is crucial to the boat integrity... I guess so the bow can't collapse if hitting a big drop,or boof??? So there goes the great space for storage in the bow....I thought it was funny how no one else talked about this feature...the front center wall.

Overall this boat is awesome... I have had many rec boats and they have such a pointed tip front and back which makes the boat very tippy on things like log crossings,and such if creeking. This bottom has rounded tips...great design. very happy so far.

07-07-2010
Submitted by: Marie sSend Email

I LOVE this little boat. It fits me like a well loved shoe! My husband, who does not paddle, gave it to me for our 25th anniversary present, and he rocks! It handles like a dream in ww and will turn on a dime. At 59 yrs old, I wanted a little boat that could move quickly and easily, and this boat hit a home run! It's a pleasure to have this boat in my fleet!

01-29-2010

01-25-2010

This is a follow-up/post-one year review. The XP9 makes a fantastic foul weather boat. I just love this thing. Been paddling for years now (flat water K1 sprint racing, slalom boating, sea kayaking) on flat water, the Atlantic in all sorts of conditions, and (my favorite thing) on the Indian River in 35+ knot winds. I tell my friends my XP9 is my 'awful weather boat.' It absolutely excels in 4 foot washing machine-like storm waves! I love it when the sheriff comes out of no where on the patrol boat, lights flashing, sees I'm out there on purpose and having fun, then veers away!

I've had my XP for a year now and 2 weeks ago pushed it to it's limit for this area of the country. You folks remember that Florida has been getting crazy cold weather? Well I was riding the bleeding edge of both cold fronts in my XP9 riding 4ft wave trains for miles! It was a hoot. Felt totally good in this boat. My wife says she feels much better when I take the XP out in those conditions (vs my slalom boat). By the way. It carves great on edge on a steep face. I like how it behaves in ocean surf too.

10-07-2009

1 REMIX XP-10 AND 3 REMIX XP-9'S We love these boats. Just went on a 14 mile total trip on flat water had no problems. Pictures are on the liquid logic forums section

09-27-2009
Submitted by: JasonSend Email

GREAT kayak.
The packing, fit, and finish are nearly perfect.

Only negatives are:
The storage space in the back gets water in it quickly, especially if you roll.

04-27-2009

I thought I was going to buy a 10 for myself and my kids (10&14). After looking at the size of the 10 and the recommended weights I opted for the 9.

The remix9 is perfect for my better half and the 2 kids. 110-155 pounds. None of them thought it was to tippy, it tracked better than the old Keowee and spun on a dime. That skeg is a wonderful thing. Their only complaint was that they are used to a high seat back like on a rec boat or on the SOT. Get used to it the remix comes from a WW family.
They loved it 10 out of 10.

Myself....5 out of 10.
The boat is recommended for up to 220 lbs. I'm in the 230-240 range. I slid the seat back all the way to try and get the bow a little higher out of the water, but still plowed through the waves.
Someone my size needs the remix10.

10 for 10 for three quarters of my clan, not a bad deal, 1 boat that does lakes and river good. Like any boat try it first, but I guess I'm stuck with my 8 year old Dagger, till I can find 10 more Franklins I don't know what to do with.
Oh yeah,My son really likes putting the skeg up and just spinning like a top.

04-24-2009
Submitted by: ScooterSend Email

I recently purchased the XP10 and took it home for a quick run on the lake. I primarily enjoy whitewater but need something to go out with the family as well. LL hit the spot with this awesome crossover design. I have nothing to add to the other reviews. Bomber stability, great response, smooth tracking.

As for the 'dry' hatch...
It's not so dry. I rolled the boat a few times and found about 6 cups of water in the stern hatch. YES, the hatch was closed. I have checked all the fittings and they are water tight, except the rim of the hatch. I think this is an easy fix; just get some closed-cell foam. A long strip about 1/16 x 5/32 should do it; and attach it with a very small amount of contact cement. I haven't tried this yet but am pretty sure it will do the trick.

By the way, LL knows of this problem and one rep said 'It's not so much a dry hatch; more like a hatch for dry bags.' They say they're trying to develop a fix for the problem, so no worries either way. Otherwise this is a killer craft. It has not taken any water in the hatch when running rivers and creeks; and the stability kinda makes rolling a remote possibility... so just stay upright til LL gets it worked out. In my case, I'm going to find some foam strips.
Happy Paddling!

03-04-2009

Liquid Logic has a hit on their hands with this boat.
I've had my share of boats over the years, trust me! I've had 18+ foot fiberglass sea kayaks, hybrid kayaks, sit-on-tops, rec and intermediate light touring sit-in poly kayaks, etc. Been doing this for years and I'm not some newbie in a honeymoon phase just b/c it's a new boat. However, I have ZERO whitewater experience. Hope to change that with this boat!

The XP9 is stable, comfortable, easily controlled, and playful. The skeg is a must and it works flawlessly! Skeg up and this boat becomes HIGHLY maneuverable. One forward or reverse sweep turn with a paddle and this boat will spin like a top, in place, a full 360*. Unheard of!

Skeg down and she tracks better than any 9-10ft kayak I've been in. However, the skeg in the down position does not really take away from the responsiveness. Yes, it's much quicker to respond to sweep turns with the skeg up, but it's still possible with the skeg down. The skeg definitely helps when going straight. Without it down, the boat will tend to turn quite easily and slight shifts in weight or a lean will exaggerate the movement of the boat. High paddle strokes help.

The skeg on my boat makes a bit of noise while deployed b/c it knocks against either side of the recessed area while paddling. It's a bit annoying, but can easily be fixed by adding a bit of sticky minicel foam to prevent the plastic skeg from bouncing against the boat in that recessed skeg cut-out area.

The "Bad-Ass" seating is heavenly. My rear never got tired while out playing today. It's very comfortable and easy to remove for cleaning. The adjustments work like a charm, too. It's quite simple to adjust on-the-fly. Love the footpegs and thigh braces. Really turns this kayak into a jet fighter, meaning I can settle into the Bad-Ass cockpit of the XP9 and feel like I'm part of the boat instead of just being a passenger. Love that feeling.

Since Native Watercraft is a subsidiary of Legacy Paddlesports, the only other seating that's comparable to the Bad-Ass in the XP9 is the First Class Seating as found in the Ultimate, Magic, and Marvel kayaks. The Bad-Ass seating in the XP9 is FAR better than the DVC seating of the Manta Ray. (I've had both the Manta Ray and Ultimate, so I'm able to give a first-hand review.)

The build quality of the XP9 is top notch and better than most I've seen...even next to pricey glass boat manufacturers. What else would you expect from LL/Legacy Paddlesports? Not a blemish anywhere. Not even a tiny scratch! Not a drop of water through the skeg cable mount. Not a shaving in the boat from post-production fitting. Color me impressed and kudos to EVERYONE at LL for their attention to detail. I'm sure these boats pass through a lot of different hands during the process from start to finish. You'd never be able to tell.

This new crossover kayak from LL is going to really open a lot of doors for folks. I'll be able to hit my local lakes, streams, rivers, creeks, ponds, and even take it beyond-the-breakers without fear. Heck, I'd like to venture into some whitewater with this thing pretty soon.

This boat won't have any problems taking me down my local creek for an overnighter, taking me out for a lazy day on the pond, or taking me to my favorite spot for a little bass fishing. I won't take any long multi-day sea exploration trips, but this boat will do what I want it to do and leave a smile on my face.

01-26-2009

The Liquid Logic Remix XP – As this is a brand new and much-anticipated kayak (for me it was anyway) I thought I'd try to write a detailed review. The length is not intended to annoy but to give some information about a brand new design.

I picked up my Liquid Logic Remix XP9 yesterday (actually had it shipped to Florida where I live and paddle and I picked it up at the terminal—couldn't wait). I've been keenly coveting this kayak since August 2008 when I first got wind of it.

About me: 5' 11'' and 138lbs and work out regularly. Have been paddling 4 years now on rivers, lagoons and the Atlantic, typically in my 16.5 ft Hurricane Tracer 165 sea yak, 14ft Necky Manatou, and Old Town Otter XT (which was the boat I'd always have in my SUV—until the arrival of my XP9 that is). I have other boats and paddle them as well, 3 times per week total minimum. I wanted a boat that I could take out in the nasty, thrashy conditions that a 20+ knot wind will produce on the Indian and Banana Rivers (especially a directly north or directly south wind). There will be waves up to 3 feet (sometimes a little bigger) there and a distinct wind-driven current flow. I personally prefer maneuverability to speed in dicey conditions and not too much boat, so I was after some of the kayak qualities enjoyed by white water boaters but also a yak that could track straight for distances. The Otter XT works but even with float bags it takes on a terrific amount of water when you go over (being a rec boat and all) and the skirts for it (like all rec boat skirts) implode a lot due to the cockpit opening's size. So I started looking at the new trend in white water kayaks—transitional white water boats such as the Dagger Approach and LL Remix. I did plenty of research and gave this lots of consideration. The Liquid Logic Remix XP line had everything I was looking for. It had to be a kayak that was at home in the rough water as well as being good for athletic touring and work out paddles on the flats.

I purchased my XP from Austin Kayak (www.austinkayak.com) and I highly recommend them. Very helpful and a good line of boats and equipment; especially a good option if you can't get your hands on the stuff you want locally. The XP came wrapped in the coolest packaging system I have ever seen and even though it came from Texas to Florida on an 18 wheeler it was in better condition than what you often see at the local dealer. No scratches or issues at all. My XP is a Mango one.

The first thing that hits you when you tear off all the protective packaging of this Liquid Logic boat is that this is a fine piece of marine equipment. The high quality of the materials and workmanship is really striking. It feels very solid all over. The 'Bad-Ass' seating/outfitting is without peer! It is most definitely the most comfortable seating on the planet; you could spend hours in it and not be uncomfortable at all. (Now if I could find a way to have a bed made out of the stuff I'd stay in it Rumple Stiltskin style—until the waves kicked up!) After checking to make sure everything was in order I had the wife pick up the kids from the bus stop and I hit the water (she's a good sport!). Conditions were not rough really (darn) with a moderate chop on the river and a north east drift (more east than north), so I was paddling against a cross current.

It is very easy to get into and out of this boat; cockpit size is perfect for someone of my size anyway. The XP really does paddle the flats very well. The bow has the right amount of rocker and a set of double channels on the hull that cuts and splits the water nicely. Heading out into the wind and waves it looks a little like you are plowing water owing to the rounded hull (as opposed to the narrow hull of a sea kayak which tends to pierce the waves and then lifts you out and up); this is deceptive as the XP9 really is lifting you nicely over the wave. I was amazed how fast this boat could get over waves and through the resistance water. I found the boat fast for a 9 footer and it can definitely 'get you into the zone' when distance paddling. With boats of this size I like a short paddle such as the Aquabound Shred; the torque won't paddle you out of line and it is easier to dial in to this hull size. I put it through it's paces, leaning as hard over as I could to the point of a roll. It's lean is bomber. Very dynamic hull design with nice edges and it produces great stability. I can see that it would be an easy rolling boat and if the water wasn't so darn cold I would have tried it yesterday (very thin-blooded tropical Florida kayaker here -- sorry)! Will do some rolling and post any changes.

The XP9 is highly maneuverable, even with the drop skeg down. Leaning forward on the nose you can get on current swells easily and it is a lot of fun. White water boats have a number of places on their hulls that you can turn on, not just the center line bottom area and side chines as is the case on a sea kayak. So the XP is fun to explore different moves on requiring use of different parts and elements of the hull. *By the way, even though she weighs as much as my 16.5 Tracer (about 46lbs empty), she is a much easier shoulder carry—not just because of the shorter length but because of that Bad-Ass outfitting; the seat cushion overlaps the cockpit combing slightly and gives you a sort of shoulder pad. It's the most comfortable carry of any of my kayaks.

"Backcess Hatch": This is a neat set up on the XP. I sunk my stern quite a bit and tried to get the hatch area as wet as possible. It stayed very dry. It is also very easy to get to underway. Plenty of storage for all-day needs. Liquid Logic's website states that there is plenty of storage for a week's worth of camping. I think it all depends on how you pack. When I camp overnight on the spoil islands in the lagoon I always over-pack. Maybe the white water crowd that designed this boat is used to getting by with a lot less than a sea kayaker. I'm not an expert on this. But I will say that between the dry hatch area (with solid dry bulkhead) and what can go between your legs you are dealing with plenty of storage possibilities. And that hard hatch will last the life of the boat I am sure—I like it better than Necky's or Hurricane's different hatch cover systems.

The drop skeg: The only place where something could go wrong on any kayak because of the moving parts. First, the skeg works very well. It's spring-loaded so it snaps up and down with no problems. Without the skeg you can dial in to the hull dynamics of this boat for straight-aways and get it under control, but it takes concentration (unless you are riding a swell or it is a nasty water state and then the boat is in it's element without the skeg). Skeg up and the XP is all about extreme maneuverability (cool!). Skeg down and she tracks better than any rec boat (that's what I'm talking about!). Initially on my first run I noticed some water in the cockpit after a 2 ½ hour spin. I was wearing a new seal skin skirt so I was sealed in there well. I estimate there was about 6-7 cups of water in the cockpit. I was wearing neoprene booties so let's take out a cup for each foot. Still left with 4-5 cups of water in there. I did some experimenting with cups of water after I dried her out and the skeg lever mechanism is where the steady dribble of water came in (at the tip of the bolt/nut area on the inside of the cockpit.) when that area is submerged. Don't freak out if that happens to you—I think mine was just too loose. To be certain, I glooped on some 'Plastic Dip' (it's actually rubber when it hardens and acts like those old ice cream cone treats where you dip the cone in strawberry or vanilla liquid and it hardens right away—you get it at the hardware store), put some silicone on the bottom bolt, and tightened the bolt. Today had it out for almost 4 hours and soaked it good. NO more water from the skeg lever; there was only less than a cup in the whole cockpit. Good Deal!

In conclusion, I am very happy with this boat. I can take it to the Nantahala, Taccoa, and Chatuge in Georgia and play with the white water crowd. I can take it out on the Indian and Banana River Lagoons in all sorts of conditions for my work out endurance paddling sessions. I can take it on those same Florida waterways when everyone else is putting ashore because the conditions are rough (I plan on trying her out on the ocean in some surf next since I live about 15 minutes from the Atlantic). You can put it in the SUV with the seats down and get that quick lunch time paddle in. I definitely recommend this boat if you are after any of the things I am in an all-round 'do it all' boat. Rock solid construction. Cool kayak.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports