Product Reviews > Canoes > Mohawk Canoes > XL-15 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for XL-15 Canoe by Mohawk Canoes

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

11-05-2014
Submitted by: rskSend Email

I have owned an XL-15 and paddled this boat for many class 3 river miles, including several 50 to 80 mile multi day trips. It is equipped with tandem saddles seats with thigh straps. By comparison to other tandem boats that I have paddled with, it is by far the driest. Empty or loaded it handles beautifully.
If you want to surf and play this boat is a joy.

09-07-2012
Submitted by: BigTSend Email

I bought a XL15 tandem set up with the web seats. It is the first canoe I have dumped on accident ever. Flat water, turning and broadside with a 25 mph wind, hit sideways by a wave, with an inexperienced paddler in the front, and my 7 year old in the middle. It was cold! I lowered the seats with the lowering kits. That helped.

I took it on a 2 day overnight camping trip. The canoe is pretty roomy, and has good floatation. I weigh 350lb. My front paddler was about 200, with enough gear for an overnight camp. We did not tip, but had a few close calls. It turns quick, and is pretty responsive for the size. The initial stability is less than you will be used to if coming from flat bottomed recreational boats. I took it out with 5 little passengers in the middle and front, and spent hours and hours tipping it over on purpose and dumping it out. Had a ton of fun with my little nieces and nephews. Funny enough, when trying to tip it over the secondary stability makes it harder than you think it will be!

Even with shipping, it was a darned good value, outfitted how I wanted. Wide seats, extra hanging seat for the middle, means I can fool around with the wife up front and 2 little boys in the middle.

12-05-2008

Our Mohawk XL-15 was ordered with the web seating for two paddlers. We have around 50 trips on it right now. The first thing we had to do right off the bat was lower the two seats about 2 inches each. Before we did this, the boat was very unstable, but after we did this, we got good stability, even in pretty good whitewater. The worst we have tackled in class 3s, but there is no doubt that the boat will handle anything on most rivers.

The reason I gave it an 8 is because the seating had to be lowered to get stability, and because it tracks very poorly in flat water. But the boat is great in the rapids and is holding up very well. Just make sure you know this is a White water boat and has extreme rocker that makes for poor tracking in flat water.