Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pelican International > Strait 140 XE Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Strait 140 XE Kayak by Pelican International

09-21-2012
Submitted by: G.GSend Email

As a 66 year old, canoe lover, I used to own an Old Town 164, that I found a bit heavy and my wife was scared of water, so we have bought 2 kayaks and both of us really enjoy the stability, the way it goes with waves and wind. My wife is more comfortable and she is more secure now. We only have to get used to getting in and out.

11-02-2009
Submitted by: KevinSend Email

Not bad for the money. The finish is nothing like the catalog photos. Not glossy and smooth but pitty and a bunch of sharp small drips on the surface. Other than that not bad

05-27-2009

I tried out this boat at the Kayak Festival in Charleston,SC. I was going to buy it and then ended up getting a Current Design Vision 140. I paid twice as much for the Vision.

After getting home, I still kept thinking of the Strait 140. The boat seat seemed very comfortable. The boat was very responsive. At 14' it has 3 hatches and makes a great Day Touring kayak. At $1049.00 the price was also right. Within a month, I had bought a Strait 40th Edition. It is the Limited Edition of the 140xe.

I have now put it thru the paces on a lake with some very rough water. The boat handled great. The plastic in this boat is much stiffer then a rotomolded poly boat. It handled the waves just as well as my composite boat and all at a fraction of the price. Pelican had just come out with the Elite Series this year. It is not the same boat that you find in discount chain stores. Pelican has a winner with this model. I know I made the right decision.

11-12-2008
Submitted by: JuanSend Email

This is my first kayak and I love it! On the water it is easy to handle and turn, also has great tracking and excellent stability. It has lots of storage room including a day hatch. The rudder helps a lot in windy conditions.

On the minus side the boat is a little bit heavy (but not much) maybe it is the price to pay for the great stability and storage room; another thing I found is that it tends to deform very easily when carried with foam blocks, so you need to buy a good rack system to carry your Strait.

I must mention that I paddle on quiet rivers and small lakes. Overall a good kayak I am happy with it so far and I would recommend it as it makes your life easy on the water.

Rendezvous River Sports