Product Reviews > Kayaks > Current Designs > Vision 140 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Vision 140 Kayak by Current Designs

07-23-2014

Recently got my 3rd kayak, a composite Vision 140 by CD - a few years old, but in dealer-demo condition. Stiff, light, and durable... very responsive, and tracks well without rudder. Rudder and special seat add loads of comfort and control.

Very quiet thru the waves, and swells I see in "big river" boating.
I am 6'0", 170lbs, pretty fit and have easy entry/exit into the keyhole cockpit.
Excellent quality, and craftsmanship displayed in all aspects of this craft.

08-03-2013

Me: Male, now 60, ~200 lbs., 5'11", exercise regularly, walk ~30 mi/week, started kayaking 2006 w/ inflatables, purchased Vision 140 as a transitional kayak for a 3 wk trip to Vancouver Island in 2010. It is close to a "real" sea kayak.

I would not buy this boat if my goal was heavy-duty sea kayaking (i.e. beyond 3 -4 swells probably should consider a bigger boat). However, for light or sheltered coastal touring, or flat-water paddling this is the bomb.

I have used it quite successfully in class I-II river rapids (i.e. San Juan rapids on lower American at 4000 cfs). Handled great. This boat is excellent for a flat water kayak (bays, mild-to-moderate sheltered ocean, lakes, moderate rivers). Great cockpit size (!!!), stability (!!), tracking, overall good construction (well-sealed non-leaking hatches, rudder, !very! comfortable seat, good deck lines and hardware). Light yet strong construction.

I love this boat. Nice deck design, edges well w/ very good primary stability. I have no trouble keeping up with 17-18 foot boats during day paddles. A good cruiser. The weight and strength of construction is a positive selling point. Nicely appointed and strong deck cleats, deck lines, and finished design.

Downsides: Even though construction is excellent quality, it is made in China a well-made light generic Kevlar/fiberglass blend but may not please those with certain political views. Yet, overall sturdy and well-built. Light weight (43 lbs, + a couple more lbs w/ rudder) is one reason I purchased. I will say I have had it in open water in Heriot Bay, Quadra Island, ~ 2 miles from shore and was quite comfortable. Low back deck makes self-rescue relatively easy.

An excellent boat unless you want serious sea kayak play.

10-05-2012

I am updating my review now of the Current Design Vision 140 with rudder (from 08-05-2012).
I previously had stated that because of the problem we experienced. The cleats which were supposed to hold the deck lines secure & in place were cracking in half & falling off so as a result the deck lines were flopping around loose. This happened when the kayak was brand new & had not even been exposed to sun or water yet. We drove it back to Toronto to the Complete Paddler & of course, they had it 3 wks & replaced all the deck lines & cleats. We got it home, used it once for only a little over an hour & a half, & while I was washing it off before storing it away again, didn't I see that it had happened again. So we drove it again back to Toronto. This time, The Complete Paddler gave us a $150 gift certificate to compensate us for the cost of our gas back & forth now from Ingersoll a total of 6x. And, I must say, Current Design didn't try to replace the cleats at all this time - they replaced the entire kayak with a brand new one. We gave it a good try & thankfully, they seem to have gotten to the bottom of their poor quality cleats so I am updating my review now of this product.

It's a nice looking kayak, very high quality job visually. It handles very nice. Rudder works great. It's a great asset to have in a cross wind but naturally, it's a good thing to know how to use different paddle strokes in case the rudder ever does break. The cleats & deck lines were all great. Initial stability is great!!!

I now would give this kayak a 10 out of 10. Thank you Current Design for producing a quality product & for standing behind your product. I would recommend this product. Two thumbs up now!!!

08-05-2012

The kayak itself looks like a quality product. The deck cleats that are supposed to hold the deck lines & bungee cords however are crap. We ordered this Current Design Vision 140 (a kevlar hybrid with a rudder), last fall from The Complete Paddler in Toronto. We picked it up in the spring of this year. We stored it in our basement which is totally finished, until our first week of vacation July 9. We carried it upstairs intending to enjoy kayaking & I saw the deck lines all hanging loose. Then I saw why: 4 out of 13 of the plastic round deck cleats had cracked right in half & some had actually fallen completely off so there nothing to hold the lines in place. We had not even used the kayak yet. It still had the foam wrapped around the lines to the rudder. The Complete Paddler agreed to contact Current Design & replace the lines & cleats at no cost to us which they did but it still cost us a total of $64 in gas there & back which was out of pocket for us, not to mention a day out of our vacation driving there & back which we should have been able to spend kayaking, not returning it for repairs. They had it 3 wks. We finally got it back last week. We went kayaking locally for a little over an hr. maybe.

Kayak itself is stable * handles nice & appears to be a quality kayak, but when we got the kayak home & unloaded it & I was washing it off before storing it again, I noticed already one of the deck cleats has again cracked in half so NO, I will not give this kayak a good review because of their faulty cheaply designed deck cleats. What use are deck lines that you could loose your gear off or worse yet, if you tip over & have to do a self rescue, if your cleats snap off you could die from hypothermia.

I would not recommend buying one of these until they design better cleats for it.

10-19-2010
Submitted by: Randy TaylorSend Email

Lovin' it!!! I'm new to the sport. Retired to the West Coast of Vancouver Island 2 years ago. Bought a Vision 140 for day tripping Tahsis Inlet and the surrounding area based on it's light weight and positive reviews here. It is light, fast, tracks straight, and has enough rocker to be easily turned without resorting to using the rudder... After using some 17 to 18 footers, I was surprised at how well it tracks and the superior handling as compared to 'touring' boats is a bonus.

04-21-2010

I recently purchased a Current Designs Vision 140 as an upgrade to my Kestrel 120 HV. I was limited in my selection of kayaks due to my height(6'4")which prevented me from fitting comfortably in many kayaks by several different builders. I'm impressed with the 140 for several reasons:
  1. I fit in it with comfort and security
  2. It's easy for someone of my height to enter and exit
  3. The 14'length and 24" width make for better tracking and speed, while preserving much of the stability that I want (tipping over is not my idea of a good time)
  4. It weights only 36 pounds. This makes it easy to lift and place on top of my SUV by myself--which means, I'll use it a lot more
  5. The versatility of this hybrid (rec/touring) allows me to better enjoy lakes--large and small, and rivers. Due to now owning a narrower kayak, I also went from a 240 to a 230 paddle and I was surprised at the positive difference.
I highly recommend this kayak to anyone who wants much of the stability of a wider recreational kayak, but also some of the speed and tracking of a touring kayak, and yet, be small and light enough to handle by yourself. So far, it's a 10 for my needs and wants.

03-26-2010

My first paddling season I purchased a CD Kestrel. Never happy with the cockpit fit; I have a hip replacement. So I purchased a used Vision late fall so only had few paddles in the new yak before the water iced up.

This spring I took the new yak back out and LOVED IT. A vast improvement over what I was paddling. The narrower beam combined with less depth in the cockpit really made a difference for me. This yak handled well and the speed was outstanding. Even my husband could not keep up!!!

04-20-2009
Submitted by: BSend Email

This is my first kayak. We tested 6 before the buy. The weight was a deciding factor for me. It is comfortable and stable. It took some work to capsize it. I have to use the rudder on the open water and wind conditions on the bay.

10-02-2008

Today I had the opportunity to test paddle a Current Designs Vision 140 w/rudder in a cove on the lower Hudson River. First off let me just give you a brief background on myself. This my third season paddling I currently own a Necky Manitou 13 and an Old Town Cayuga 146 w/rudder, I'll classify my ability as a lower intermediate with most of the paddling in my home range consisting of smaller lakes, rivers, and protected coastal areas on Long Island Sound.

Some of my impressions from the 30 minute session were that the seat was very comfortable and the boat did seem to fit me well, you cannot adjust the foot peddles while in the yak as the adjustment releases are behind the moving foot peddles. After spending a few minutes getting the feel of the boat I wanted to see how well the boat accelerated up to a cruising speed. I thought this boat was no speed demon and on a par with my Old Town Cayuga which takes a little bit to get going so I was disappointed in that category.

As far as turning, this boat needed the rudder to make it turn which is OK with me as I'm a rudder person anyway. The rudder deployed and retracted flawlessly each time I engaged it much more than I can say about my Old Town Rudder. Both hatch covers were easy to remove and put back on. This yak is Made in China.

I might have bought this boat if it was faster than my Old Town Cayuga plus it was 15 lbs lighter at 40 lbs which makes for easy car topping loading. I guess I'll keep searching for the perfect yak for me!