Product Reviews > Kayaks > Hobie Cat Company > Mirage Sport Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Mirage Sport Kayak by Hobie Cat Company

Rated: 9.67/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

Mirage Sport Kayak by Hobie Cat Company

Length: 9' 7" - Width: 29.50" - Starting at: $2099.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Hobie Cat Company Logo

08-05-2014

I bought the 2014 Sport as a hull replacement for a used Sport I bought which may or may not have had a mirage drive well crack. They feel similar, but the new hull tweaks and front hatch is nice. I mainly let my 6 y.o. son pedal it, and he can keep up for short trips whereas he would not be able to if paddling. I'm not a fan of kayaks with wide beams, so that's why it gets a 9. Otherwise, it's a good boat for calm coastal or flatwater lakes, ponds, & slow rivers.

04-18-2014
Submitted by: JimBSend Email

Stable and comfortable. The Mirage drive is outstanding, leaving hands free. Solidly built, rotomolded polyethylene. Good storage.

08-05-2012
Submitted by: DebbieSend Email

We bought two Mirage Sports from someone (used), who only sold them because they were moving away from their water source, and we absolutely love them. Every time I take them out on the lake, I have people asking me about them and wanting to try mine. I probably should get a commission for all the Mirage Sports I am selling; everyone leaves saying they want to buy one.

I love the smooth pedaling and the versatility of pedaling, rowing or sailing. I can get a workout without feeling like I'm working too hard, and have been able to get up very close (within a few feet) of loons because it is so quiet. I wanted something I could handle on my own (in my 50's, but feel like early 40's....5'4, smaller woman) and I can get these in and out of the water by myself. I definitely like having the wheels to help in hauling.

11-23-2011
Submitted by: Captain JimSend Email

I bought a Hobie Mirage Sport after trying a friends larger Mirage model. I needed something that was under 10' to fit in a cargo trailer. I am VERY impressed with the Hobie construction and engineering. Stable and comfortable.

I have used the Sport in mountain lakes, rivers, and the protected coastal water in the Gulf of Mexico - and definitely prefer it over my other brand sit-in (which, fortunately, my wife prefers). It is heavy, though. For accessories, I bought the sail (decent in limited wind conditions) and the Hobie wheels, that make moving it around much easier. I bought mine from Super Sport Marine in Kearney, NE, having had a great buying experience there with a sailboat - and just as good once again with this Hobie.

04-14-2011

This Hobie kayak is made of rotomolded Super Linear polyethylene II and weighs just 48#! I upgraded the "MirageDrive" fins with the turbo kit. If you peddle hard enough, you can make a nice bow wave and nearly make "hull speed" but I bet you will not be able to keep it up for long! I suggest pulling the rudder and turbo fins out of the water before venturing into the grass areas or you will have some fun breaking free. The paddle that is supplied with the kayak appears to be graphite epoxy construction and it works very well. It is an awesome boat and you will not be disappointed if you purchase one. There is a dealer for Hobie kayaks in just about every state. Have fun!

12-10-2010

I've owned my Sport for about two years and have loved every minute of it. The Mirage pedal propulsion system is amazingly effective, reliable, easy to install and when you find a comfortable cadence you can just keep on going for ages. The seat is dry, easy to adjust and very comfortable. I leave the rudder down when paddling unless I'm going to be doing some maneuvering. I also purchased the sportsman package and sail kit. Both are well worth the money.

Hobies are expensive, but there's nothing else like them on the water. If you want a craft that can be very versatile and fun to use... this is the one for you.

09-13-2010

For a while, I debated getting a Hobie Sport and eventually took the plunge. I'm so glad I did, because I love this little boat!
I am a woman, 5'5" and 120 lb. I don't have a lot of upper body strength, so the 48 lb. hull just about maxes out my limit for lifting. Luckily, I can fit the boat in the back of my SUV, and I bought the optional cart for transporting it from my car to launching sites.

The Mirage Drive pedaling system is the main selling point of this boat, in my opinion. My first outing on this boat lasted 3 hours and I left energized (and I am not a regular exerciser). You also stay 100% dry while pedaling, and if you're careful, you can peddle almost silently. This is great for wildlife viewing, compared to paddles waving all over the place. Paddling is also fun, but I recommend leaving the rudder down because it helps the boat track straighter. When I brought the rudder up, I seemed to get nowhere while paddling.

The boat is incredibly stable and comfortable. The cushioned seat is awesome. I can't wait to add the optional sail when I get out on more open waters. Although you don't go as fast as you would in an Adventure Island, it sounds like a blast!!

The only downside to this boat is the relatively low weight limit, and the price tag. Ultimately, I am so glad I went with the Sport because it is exactly what I wanted; however, it is rather "gadgety" for a boat and I worry that its lifespan will be short. From what I've heard, the Mirage Drive and rudder system require regular maintenance to keep them working smoothly. I hope to get years of enjoyment out of this boat!

02-19-2009
Submitted by: julieSend Email

Just returned from 6 weeks of kayak fishing in Florida. Could not imagine fishing so comfortably in anything else. We would be on rivers, inlets and open ocean for 6 hrs a day.
Peddling all day sure beats paddling. FUN!

09-16-2008

Stable, dry, easy to maneuver, comfortable on my butt 3 hrs+ (longest I've gone)handles calm lake Michigan waves up to 1.5' no trouble. My biggest concern is being seen by speed boaters. It's a blast pedaling around the pier and talking to the fishermen. Love my Hobie. If your just not sure, trust me, you're gonna love it.

Rendezvous River Sports