Product Reviews > Kayaks > Van Dusen Racing Boats > Mohican Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Mohican Kayak by Van Dusen Racing Boats

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 2 Reviews

05-09-2011

I purchased the CD Kestral 120 HV for my better half two years ago. Didn't look for any alternatives because no one, and I mean NO ONE, makes a better kayak for the money than Current Designs. We have owned and used a passel of kayaks over our thirty some years of wedded bliss...(no reference to another CD model).

The Kestrel 12' kayaks stand head and shoulders over any currently available "rec" boat. You are advised. Widest smile from my 54 yr old sweetheart since the day we got hitched. Just to qualify this gushing endorsement, we have owned boats from 8 mfg.'s and ran a kayak / canoe sales& rental for several years. We've run rivers and lakes all over the NE. Get this boat! Give it some time if you're a beginner. You won't be sorry.

05-28-2008

Orange Van Dusen Mohican with tiller steering, toe straps and both rudders. Just 2 minutes to switch rudders because the understern fits thru a tube. The narrow nose is so fast but the main drawback is narrow place for feet. Hard to make buoy turn until you figure how to lift your foot out to slide bar across. I love the seat with no pad. The footstraps are so efficient at pulling your hip forward for the next stroke. Stability - similar to orion or t-bolt but t-bolt had small out of way thigh braces so I felt very stable in big water in t-bolt. With the Mohican you can let thighs rest against side to get some support or at start put feet outside boat to paddle sideways. Mohican might be one minute per hour faster for me on flatwater than t-bolt. T-bolt turns better for me around buoys because of wider footbox. Have not yet learned how to get back into Mohican without paddle float. PFD makes it harder to get in. The Mohican is so ergonomic that it is easier for me to paddle at 7mph for an hour. If you are on a budget, a used t-bolt might be a better value. I added rear bulkhead to t-bolt.