Product Reviews > Accessories > Sony Cybershot DSC-W55 Digital Camera Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Sony Cybershot DSC-W55 Digital Camera

Research Electronics in the Buyers' Guide!

05-12-2008
Submitted by: BLMSend Email

This Sony Cybershot DSC-W55 is my third digital camera. I've owned a Kodak, a Canon, and this DSC-W55. For paddling trips, I needed a camera that would fit easily in a pocket or PFD, was fully automatic, had high enough resolution to print quality photos and was reasonably priced. My first two cameras were excellent but they weren't small enough for my need. I thought I had the perfect match with the Sony Cybershot.

On my first trip the camera flash error started flashing. It continued to take pictures but no flash available. I shipped it to the Sony repair people and waited and waited... finally I called them and after some time and a few transfers, the response was that it would cost too much to repair and it was not covered by the warranty. I am a fan of SONY electronics and own plenty of their products but never will I buy another Sony camera. It's biggest advantage is small size, but that's about it. I found it does not reliably take consistently high quality crisp pictures as well as my other digital cameras, both with less pixel power.

Another disadvantage is the need for a custom battery. When camping out for several days, back up batteries are a must. It is most convenient to me to be able to use standard batteries which would be consistent with my other river electronics.
I rate it 5 out of 10.