Product Reviews > Accessories > Malone SeaWing Carrier Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Malone SeaWing Carrier

Rated: 8.7/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

Research Roof Racks and Trailers in the Buyers' Guide!
Roof Racks and Trailers
View Roof Racks and Trailers in Buyers' Guide

08-07-2014

I was looking for some kayak saddles that were inexpensive and could fit side by side on my Trac Rac. I chose the Sea Wings mostly because they are sold in sets, so 1 set will hold 1 kayak, where other companies sell a pair for the front of the boat and then you have to buy a pair separately for the back of the boat.

The Sea Wings can be used on a variety of bar sizes and shapes. Even with heavy use over the past year they are still in excellent condition. They hold my kayak firmly and are easy to change between different vehicle rack systems. Your kayak will also slide easily into the saddles without the side by side adjustments needed on single saddles.

A great buy on a great product.

07-14-2013

I've been using the Malone Sea Wing along with the Malone Stinger Loader Module for several years. My previous car is a Honda CRV and my new car is a Subaru Outback... works great with both. This system allows me to self load long kayaks, like the Tahe Marine Greenland without any stress on my back or the kayak! The wings do weaken and flatten after a while so care has to be taken that the kayak doesn't slide sideways during loading. But, with care, works great!

04-10-2013

Seawings with Stinger Attachment:
Small ladies take a close look at this one since it makes loading very easy. My wife is quite petite and can easily use the stinger attachment to load her boat on top of our minivan (still needs a ladder for the straps). I've transported my Delta 18.5 as well as Tsunami SP's and P&H Scorpios over 1500KM at highway speeds without issue or excessive road noise as listed by others. The racks are also quite quiet when empty; obviously there is some noise with something bolted to your roof but they don't howl.

I'm not sure how the stinger would work with a flat rec boat but for a sea kayak with V Shaped ends it's fantastic. There is no comparison between loading my Delta 18.5 overhead sideways by myself onto the van and shooting it up on the stinger. The only downfall I can think of is the factory crossbar flexes when rotated from the load caused by the stinger. That would be the minivans fault though and not the rack.

We initially only bought one stinger to test it out. It's easy to move the boats from one rack to another once on the roof. For convenience though I am going to order a second stinger attachment. They also go on an off easily without tools once you figure it out. I just bought another set for my truck.

08-12-2011

Not great for sea kayaks. Doesn't cradle them properly. Plastic boats start to "oil can" whether or not a bow strap is used.

07-21-2011

I have mounted these on both the factory crossbars on my RAV4 and on Yakima bars on the RAV4 and Dodge mini van. They fit most boats either right side up or upside down. The boats are held securely. The Seawings go on easily and fit right next to the rail support so there is a wide variety of places to mount them.

I have one complaint: No matter how I strap the boats down the carriers howl like crazy. It is almost impossible to hold a conversation at highway speeds. I have tried a variety of ways to attach the straps and have even tried ropes, to no avail. I think the howling is coming from the space between the kayak and the carrier. I have used them with both my Hurricane Tampico 135L and my Dagger Blackwater 12.5, and have experienced the same problem with both boats. I have not had this problem with my Yakima cradles, J-cradles, or Malone J cradles.

07-20-2011

My rack had it's second outing this weekend and performed great! Over bumpy gravel roads, serious cross-winds and highway speeds. Loading and unloading is getting easier (but would be impossible without it). I'm a gal who isn't a wimp but certainly can't lift a 60 pound kayak onto the roof of a van either. This was the ticket as the price was affordable and it fits fairly well on my van's crossbars but getting parts to fit every variety of roof rack cross bars out there is probably impossible.

I did take the suggestions of many and put a rubber bottom bath mat on the back window of the van to protect it and that too worked like a dream. Easy with the double doors and stepping on the back bumper to get everything strapped down. Put it on my 2004 Chevy Venture and it carries my 12' Old Town Vapor.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for an easy loading option that isn't going to set you back $600. Got mine off Amazon and have ordered spare parts directly from Malone (I didn't tighten down one of the T knobs and it is now lost forever).

05-08-2011

This is an ok carrier, but not Thule quality. I hauled my 14 footer on my mid sized wagon from Biloxi, MS to Milwaukee and I was stopping quite often to adjust things. The Sea Wing has a lot of flex. I like the J-style cradles much better. The process of strapping the boat into this thing for long trips was a hassle. I am thinking of putting it on the classifieds, as I bought a new car up here and this will not work well with a subcompact and 2 bike racks. Going back to a Thule product.

10-09-2009
Submitted by: TerrySend Email

I have had my Seawings since June. They work great, but the rubber is coming off. When I took them back to the store the guy there said the rubber came off his too. I am waiting to see what Malone is going to do...

Malone is replacing my Seawings. That is very quick service.

01-21-2008

We've been using the Malone Seawings since March 2004. Two round trips to Dawson City, Yukon Territory from Dallas, TX 15,000+ miles. Multiple other trips and local paddles add another 90,000+ miles. From highway speeds of 90 mph to bouncing down a rutted dirt road to the put-in, these cradles have been carefree and solid as a rock.
We have carried Prijon Kodiaks (24" beam), a Q700 (21" beam) and a Necky Amaruk (29" beam) on these cradles with no problems.
We are buying another set tomorrow for our FJ Cruiser. We opted for a Gobi Stealth rack instead of the factory rack.

09-05-2007

Only been using them for a couple of months, but so far so good. They come with a special wrench to attach them to your rack, but I wish there was some kind of way to lock them. I've had four different models of kayak racks (Thule 835, Thule Top-decks, Rhode Gear by Yakima and the Malones)... The Malones work the best on my factory roof rack and hold the kayak the tightest. They're relatively cheap and work for me.