Product Reviews > Accessories > Werner Camano Paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Werner Camano Paddle

Rated: 9.8/10 Based On: 25 Reviews

Werner Paddles Logo
See Products from Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide:
  • SUP Paddles
  • Fishing Paddles
  • Touring Kayak Paddles

07-02-2014

Excellent paddle! Hardly any flex so propels you through the water efficiently. Subtle angle adjustments are very useful in narrowing down your paddle technique.

03-25-2014
Submitted by: Bob CSend Email

Just got my Red Cam with bent shaft... This paddle is very light to the touch and top notch quality. Red fiberglass blades are beautiful .. Will follow up with use report.
This is my first Yak Paddle...

08-03-2013

I'm on my 2nd Camano. I think it's one of the better values in paddles, and often recommend them to paddlers that want to upgrade from their $65 rec paddles. I first had an older Camano with white blades, blue shaft, and 2-position snap-button ferrule. After 6 or 7 years of regular seasonal use, it still looked very good, but, I sold it when I got a sportier Epic paddle. The Camanos currently list for $265, but, I needed a backup paddle, and picked up a Camano during an REI sale, which, with other incentives, brought my effective price down below $180.

I'm impressed with the new design of the Camano. It's lighter than my old one, and, it has a very nice ferrule, which even includes a feather indicator. I really like Werner shafts, which allow decent grip, yet rotate easily in your off-hand. I got mine with single-color translucent fiberglass blades. I see they are now available in a 2-tone swirl or wave, but, I have not yet seen one of them.

08-01-2013

I really like my Camano paddle. It is light weight and very comfortable in the hand. I appreciate the smaller shaft size option as I have had hand surgery and even though I have fairly large hands, it is easier to grip. A lot of paddles have too large a shaft and it causes you to grip harder than softer. I haven't used the adjustable offset yet, but it works well as it is. The fiberglass is tough, and even after jamming the blade into rocks it isn't even scratched.
I highly recommend this paddle.

07-26-2013

Ok, so perhaps I might possibly have a tendency to overdo at times, but when you have had a good experience with a product, you go with it. Having used Werner Camano paddles for some years to paddle touring kayak, I was immediately leaning toward picking up the newer design Camano when I purchased a SOT fishing kayak and had to go for a longer paddle.

Although I investigated other, fishing-specific paddles, I kept going back to the Camano due to the fact that my fishing plans involved some fairly long paddling. So, I went with the 240 cm straight Camano. I was amazed in the improvements in the paddle over the ones that I had previously used. For light weight, great comfort, and efficient paddling due to almost infinite offset adjustment capability, I don't think I could have made a better choice!

06-24-2013

I reviewed this paddle 10 years ago in bent shaft all carbon configuration. That paddle is still in use and still a very nice paddle. Over the years Werner has made several improvements and offers additional options.

First let me say that the Camano is a low angle, recreational paddle. Let me say that this is exactly what I need in a paddle, but you should first decide your use for the paddle and your paddling style before making a decision about what paddle to buy.

Back to the Camano, whereas my old one offers two positions, feathered or not, the new ones feature multiple angle adjustments for feather. This feature can help some people find a comfortable level of feather and it is exactly repeatable because there is an indexing scale built right into the paddle. The new Camano carbon is a few ounces lighter than the old ones. There are configuration options too. I recently bought a bent shaft carbon Camano with bright yellow fiberglass blades. It is not much heavier than my old all carbon fiber Camano and offers both greater durability for river use, and greater visibility for use in high boating traffic situations.

I keep trying different paddles, but for me, my use, my paddling style, the Camano continues to perform better than any other. Highly recommended.

08-27-2012
Submitted by: BBSend Email

Best paddle for your money that's available right now. Only giving it a 9 because of the stupid paper sticker that came on mine. Really? Paper sticker over fiberglass?

10-10-2011

220cm bent shaft, small diameter, carbon fiber Camano paddle - WOW. Had several paddles, AT, Werner Kalliste and this one is just absolutely a dream to use! Can paddle super long distances and I can't stop smiling.

07-06-2011

I have only tried three or four paddles but this is MILES above the rest! I don't know if I could live without my Camano paddle. The best part is, after I fell in love with it, I never thought I'd be able to afford one but I found a package deal kayak on Craigslist that was too good to pass up! It is light, feels smooth in the water, and is beginner friendly.

09-15-2010

I have a fiberglass Werner Camano that I got used when I bought my Pungo. I wanted a new paddle and decided on the Werner Camano that is a carbon blend. It is 20 cm longer but is about 2.5 oz. lighter. You can feel the difference! I love this paddle. I found it on sale for under $200. Great price. Well worth the money.

01-06-2010

I've accumulated a few paddles over the past year. A Nimbus Auk, a Bending Branches Slice and an Aqua Bound Seaquel. I had a couple gripes abound the first two. The Nimbus had a feel to it that I can only describe as cavitation. The BB had the same sensation that you get when you hold a wooden ruler over the edge of a table and give it a *thunk*. The Seaquel is only used for small rivers and I wanted a higher quality paddle for use in larger rivers and lakes. I had lusted after a full-carbon Werner, but it was not in my budget. I found 2008 Camano's on closeout at O2 Gear Shop. It was a deal too good to pass up. Only 2 ounces more than the full carbon version and much cheaper. The paddle is everything I had hoped for. I don't get ant weird sensations from it and don't even know it's in my hands for the most part. Well done Werner.

05-30-2008
Submitted by: Rob CSend Email

All I can say is awesome. I use to paddle with the Manta ray and the bent shaft from Aqua bound. I bought a paddle from Terry Bolland here in Perth Australia. the Werner. best paddle I have ever used. Highly recommended

05-12-2008
Submitted by: PatrickSend Email

Wow! What an awesome paddle the Camano is. I upgraded to the Camano after several years of paddling with the Aqua Bound Seaquel (also an exceptionally well made entry-level paddle). What a difference a performance paddle makes. Friends are shocked when they try it and many have expressed their desire to turn their existing paddles into back-ups and invest in Werner paddles. I've been paddling with it for about 5 or 6 years and if it ever goes, I'll immediately replace it with another. I have a feeling, though, it has many, many, more years left in it.

05-01-2008
Submitted by: lee maySend Email

I bought a Camano on sale at REI last fall, what a difference the light swing weight and blade design makes, very smooth. I especially like the blade feel in choppy water on longer trips, much easier on my back than my full size Lendal paddle

My only concern is that if I touch the button on the take apart joint while doing an extended brace or roll, unexpectedly the paddle comes apart. Some duct tape around the middle of the paddle solves this, but am I the only one with this problem?

12-20-2007

I THRASH my gear...
I use my Camano at work as a guide in the Marlborough Sounds, NZ, and it's still going strong after 5 years of paddling at least 175 days a year, towing loaded doubles in chop and strong winds, being loaded in the trailer and rattling round with the rental paddles, and getting stood on by moron customers.

The ferrule wore out, so I glued it together at 35deg, then the ferrule pulled out the carbon weave from the inside of the shaft so I mixed up some epoxy and glued that back in, that was a year ago and the only problem I've had.

I have the crank shaft, which I believe helped clear up some tendinitis in my wrist and definitely helps out my stroke.

I'm extremely happy with this stick, and when I inevitably lose or break it I will buy another one despite the huge price tag.

11-07-2007
Submitted by: AnsonSend Email

Had a Werner San Juan in the '80s that I sold with a Chinook in '92. Kicked myself for years for that one. Got back into K1 in about '98. The Dagger store didn't carry Werner so I had to drive across town to get a Camano. Paid retail. Never flinched about the price. Absolutely the best value of my 6 paddles. You can shave a couple ounces off for a couple hundred dollars but I don't believe it's necessary.

Only problem I seem to have is whenever I take someone paddling they always want to try the Camano. If I have them switch to try something else they soon ask to switch back. My wife recently started paddling with me and I fear I've lost the Camano for good. Paddle on!!

08-22-2007

I have used my Camano for about 4 years or so and am totally thrilled with it. I don't just splash along with it , I really use it... as a tarp pole, as a push of the rocks pry bar, as a stab in the mud/sand anchor, and as my lever for shore entry ( I am 225 lbs ). I have fished car tires from the river to flop onto shore, etc. and still not one single chip or noticeable scratch. and the ferule is still tight and wiggle free.

The Mitchell carbon and wood paddle is pure beauty and I want one, but I just can't seem to wear out my Camano. Werner makes one superb paddle. Werner must have no repeat customers because the paddles they sell are forever.

08-20-2007

This paddle gets a ten...of all the paddles I own or have used, this one is the best, hands down. It's light and the adjustable feather (which i had doubts about at first) has proved well designed and trouble free. The blades are super thin and light but very stiff and tough...and pretty! It's expensive, for me, but worth every penny.

12-23-2003
Submitted by: Bill StevensonSend Email

I have been using a Werner Camano, carbon, bent shaft for almost 2 years. Periodically I swap with friends to try other paddles and this always leads to discussion. The following comments and observations are respectfully offered:

1. If you are just getting started a bent shaft paddle is the way to go.
2. Bent shaft is difficult to adjust to for those who started with a straight shaft.
3. Straight shaft is easier to adjust to for those used to bent shaft so it is feasible to use a bent shaft as a primary, with a less costly straight shaft for backup.
4. For those used to bent shaft there are never any times when it is not an advantage over a straight shaft.
5. Hand placement is perfect on the bent shaft Camano and it is very easy to control this paddle even in difficult surf or high wind conditions.
6. The Camano is more rugged than the similar Kaliste, both have slight flutter in some situations, easily controlled and not a problem.
7. The light weight of the carbon really starts to matter on long days on the water, but is probably not as critical for young, strong paddlers, or those who only go out for short, leisurely excursions.
8. People who are used to aluminum or fiberglass paddles find carbon very nice. People who prefer wood paddles find carbon unpleasant.
9. The people at Werner are great, their customer service is faultless, and their products are well made and generally trouble-free.
10. I think any high grade paddle from a reputable company would prove satisfying for a paddler who has no prior experience. For experienced paddlers the issue of which paddle is the best one for them becomes more difficult. So for anyone reading these comments who is just starting out recognize that your first paddle is critical. For a wide variety of uses and users the Werner Camano, bent shaft is a very good place to start.
11. In my opinion we spend too much time worrying about which boat to buy. In reality our paddle choice is much more important.

08-22-2003

I've been paddling a Werner Camano for two years now and am quite pleased. It still looks brand new after some abuse. I'm experiencing no flutter, the light weight is fantastic. My back-up paddle is a Werner Mid-Tour which is equally well made and sturdy. Excellent products.

11-26-2002
Submitted by: mike-aka-tigSend Email

Long-term evaluation of the Werner Camano bent-shaft: After 54 days and 1900 plus/minus miles, we paddled around the entire shoreline of Lake Powell, starting and ending at Bullfrog Marina, staying within 10-15 feet of the wall on the right side of the yak. A long-term paddle trip like that reveals the true nature of equipment, lot's of stuff didn't work or hold up the test of time and usage. After all that, the Werner Camano carbon fiber bent shaft was a real joy, light and strong, and took all the abuse of many groundings, rock collisions, was stepped on in the dark and finally, was used to dig in deadmen for the tent during 50 plus MPH winds. THIS PADDLE IS THE BEST AROUND!

07-27-2001

I recently purchased a 2 yr. old Werner Camano 230cm in FG, it looks like it just came off the shelf. I use both high and low angle, and find this paddle great for both. I also just purchased a 240cm and alternate the use of both. I paddle a CD Caribou and Extreme and find the 2 paddles are suited for speed and control. The only fault I found was in the shaft, it irritated and burned my hands after a long days paddle. The shaft is not smooth. It seems to have a roughness to it which is irritating. Well I found a cure. I brushed on 2 thin coats of Minwax exterior urethane on the section of the shaft where my hands have the most contact. That ended my irritation and burning problem. If anyone else is having the same problem try the cure, you'll like it. Otherwise I love the performance. It's in the same class as my CD Feather and Madusa which are both carbon/carbon and my Bending Branches Evening Breeze which is FG It comes down to what ever works for you.

07-18-2001

Werner Camano Carbon Fiber- Great paddle! Don't miss out on paddling pleasure by using a lesser product. Once you can fully comprehend that such a light paddle is such a durable and precise instrument, you just smile and dig in!

09-27-1999
Submitted by: TigSend Email

So far the Camano has been the best paddle so far. It's pretty light, solid ferrule, tough as a tank, and fits my hands perfectly. Haven't tried the bent shafts yet, and I will someday...but for now I'll stick with my Camanos.

08-16-1999
Submitted by: Chris & ChrisSend Email

Picked up a used Werner Camano in graphite, this is the old "heavy" 31 oz. paddle. It is great!! I am sure the "new" style at 26 oz. is better for the long distance. Werner is the best composite paddle for kayak or canoe.